PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Mayor Lightfoot slams 'overwhelming whiteness' of Chicago press, defends speaking only to reporters of color

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2021, 10:18 AM
By David Rutz | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/2NTXurLl.jpg

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot defended her controversial announcement to grant individual interviews only to journalists of color and blasted the city's media institutions for their "overwhelming whiteness and maleness" in an extraordinary letter on Wednesday.

Upon the two-year anniversary of her election, Democrat Lightfoot has drawn outrage after White journalists were told by her press office that they couldn't interview her one-on-one because of their skin color.

In a two-page letter to the media, Lightfoot, the first Black woman as well as the first openly gay mayor in Chicago's history, praised her own 2019 election for "breaking barriers" and took a shot at media organizations in the city for not adequately addressing "institutionalized racism" in their ranks. Her decision to temporarily speak only to Black and Brown reporters, she said, was part of her lifelong battle to fight for diversity and inclusion.

"In looking at the absence of diversity across the City Hall press corps and other newsrooms, sadly it does not appear that many of the media institutions in Chicago have caught on and truly have not embraced this moment," she wrote. "I have been struck since my first day on the campaign trail back in 2018 by the overwhelming whiteness and maleness of Chicago media outlets, editorial boards, the political press corps, and yes, the City Hall press corps specifically."
Lightfoot reeled off the diversity of the city's leadership, including its "majority Black and Latinx City Council," and called it "unacceptable" that most reporters covering City Hall were White.

"Many of them are smart and hard-working, savvy and skilled. But mostly white, nonetheless," she wrote.

She lectured the Chicago media leadership to evolve and diversify, for fear that "this arm of our democratic system is on life support."

Lightfoot has taken heavy criticism for banning White reporters from speaking with her, with one Latino Chicago Tribune reporter saying he had canceled his scheduled interview with her in protest.

"Fact is, elected officials, candidates, celebrities, athletes etc. choose who they want to interview them all the time. They just don't do so on the basis of race or gender. Or at least they don't admit they do," the Washington Post's Paul Farhi tweeted.
Lightfoot said she frequently received concern from "Black and Brown community leaders" that media coverage was biased in some form, but she often stayed quiet publicly for fear of being accused of playing the race card.

"This isn't my job. It shouldn't be," she wrote. "I don't have time for it. But as with so many festering problems, it has only gotten worse with time. So here I am, like so many other Black women before me, having to call your attention to this problem."

Lightfoot concluded the letter by challenging media outlets to hire more women of color at their outlets and to analyze their own coverage for examples of bias. If an outlet only had a White reporter covering City Hall, she suggested, "make sure there's a person of color working with them as well."

RBP

FBD
05-20-2021, 11:23 AM
fuck you racist bitch

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2021, 11:41 AM
Can you imagine if a republican white mayor said he was only going to take questions from white people?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-20-2021, 03:48 PM
I can't fucking take this shit much longer

deebakes
05-20-2021, 09:52 PM
move to... beats me? :idk:

RBP
05-22-2021, 05:51 PM
And what have they solved?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2021, 12:09 AM

FBD
05-25-2021, 11:34 AM
Wherein Tulsi finds out it aint about equality

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2021, 03:04 PM

RIP

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2021, 03:24 PM
It's sad that she's the only politician with any balls to say anything about it, and she's a democrat on top of it. Although she is way far to the center compared to where the majority of the democrat party is.

FBD
05-25-2021, 03:33 PM
It's sad that she's the only politician with any balls to say anything about it, and she's a democrat on top of it. Although she is way far to the center compared to where the majority of the democrat party is.

If she didnt have some batshit views that are inconsistent with the constitution, I might actually like her

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2021, 03:46 PM
If she didnt have some batshit views that are inconsistent with the constitution, I might actually like her

If, and that's a big if, I had to support a democrat in some race, I could probably cast a vote for Tulsi, depending on the office she was running for. She is far more of a 'republican' than almost all republicans in office right now.

FBD
05-25-2021, 03:55 PM
I can dig it but I'll write in Mickey fkn Mouse before I vote for a candidate that will push unconstitutional socialized medicine on the country. Just living in the state that I'm in equates to my vote being worthless to begin with.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-28-2021, 11:54 AM
By Tim Pearce - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/3JMCMIll.jpg

The Daily Caller News Foundation (DCNF) and Judicial Watch sued Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot (D) Thursday after Lightfoot refused an interview by reporter Thomas Catenacci.

Catenacci, who is white, works for the DCNF and sought an interview with Lightfoot on Chicago’s efforts to vaccinate its citizens and other topics related to COVID-19, according to the DCNF. Lightfoot never responded to multiple requests for an interview, and earlier this month announced that she would only grant interviews to “black and brown” reporters.

“On May 20, 2021, Plaintiff Catenacci requested, by email, a one-on-one interview with Mayor Lightfoot,” says the lawsuit, filed in United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division. “Plaintiff Catenacci sent a follow-up email on May 21, 2021. He also sent a third email on May 24, 2021.”

“As of the date of this Complaint, Mayor Lightfoot’s office has not responded to Plaintiff Catenacci’s request nor has Mayor Lightfoot agreed to an interview with Plaintiff Catenacci,” the suit continues.

The DCNF reported: “Lightfoot denied Catenacci’s request by ‘failing to respond in a timely manner,’ the lawsuit said, noting that ‘on information and belief,’ Lightfoot is aware that Catenacci is ‘not a journalist of color.’”

The lawsuit alleges that Lightfoot violated Catenacci’s First Amendment and Fourteenth Amendment rights. DCNF Editor-in-Chief Ethan Barton slammed Lightfoot for refusing an interview with his reporter.

“It’s absurd that an elected official believes she can discriminate on the basis of race,” Barton said. “Mayor Lightfoot’s decision is clearly blocking press freedom through racial discrimination.”

The DCNF partnered with nonprofit watchdog group Judicial Watch to bring the lawsuit against Lightfoot. Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said Lightfoot’s behavior is “flagrantly illegal and immoral.”

“Racial discrimination has no place in America, especially in the halls of government,” Fitton said. “Mayor Lightfoot’s admitted policy of race-based discrimination is flagrantly illegal and immoral. Simply put, we’re asking the court to find Mayor Lightfoot’s racist abuse unlawful.”

Over Twitter, Catenacci said he looks “forward to holding [Lightfoot] accountable.”
In mid-May, Chicago journalists began reporting that Lightfoot was deciding who would be granted interviews with her based on the reporter’s race. Lightfoot later confirmed the accusations and defended her attempt to combat the “overwhelming whiteness and maleness” of the press corps.

“In looking at the absence of diversity across the City Hall press corps and other newsrooms, sadly it does not appear that many of the media institutions in Chicago have caught on and truly have not embraced this moment,” Lightfoot wrote in a letter to the media explaining her discriminatory policy. “I have been struck since my first day on the campaign trail back in 2018 by the overwhelming whiteness and maleness of Chicago media outlets, editorial boards, the political press corps, and yes, the City Hall press corps specifically.”

“If I as the black woman mayor, the first-ever, don’t challenge us, the collective us, to do better, to really make sure that in every institution it reflects the diversity, nuance, and texture, then shame on me,” she continued.

“This isn’t my job. It shouldn’t be,” she said. “I don’t have time for it. But as with so many festering problems, it has only gotten worse with time. So here I am, like so many other Black women before me, having to call your attention to this problem.”

deebakes
05-28-2021, 09:28 PM
:popcorn:

lost in melb.
06-01-2021, 12:26 AM
Daily caller requests a one on one interview. Lol :ok:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-08-2021, 02:47 PM
By Alex Swoyer - The Washington Times

https://i.imgur.com/EhSb24u.png

Lawyers for Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot walked back her policy of only granting interviews to minority journalists during a court hearing Monday on a lawsuit filed by a White male reporter who claims the policy is discriminatory and a violation of the First Amendment.

During the court hearing, a lawyer for the Chicago Democrat told Judge John Z. Lee, an Obama-appointee, that the rule is no longer in place.

“This is not really a point that can seriously be in dispute at this point,” Ms. Lightfoot’s attorney told the court. “We just don’t think there is any need for the court to get involved.”

Thomas Catenacci, a reporter for the Daily Caller News Foundation, filed a federal lawsuit last month asking the court to halt the mayor from enforcing her policy and to declare it unconstitutional. He’s being represented by the right-leaning government watchdog group Judicial Watch.

Ms. Lightfoot announced the policy earlier in May, saying it was intended to create opportunities for journalists of color.

“I ran to break up the status quo that was failing so many,” Ms. Lightfoot said. “That isn’t just in City Hall. It’s a shame that in 2021, the City Hall press corps is overwhelmingly White in a city where more than half of the city identifies as Black, Latino, AAPI or Native American.”

Mr. Catenacci put in a formal request to interview Ms. Lightfoot after her rule was announced, but did not receive a response despite following up several times.

An attorney from Judicial Watch, Michael Bekesha, told the court on Monday there is no evidence the mayor’s policy has ended, which makes the case still a matter for the judge to decide.

“There is no sworn statement or evidence in the record that this practice is no longer ongoing,” he said.

Judge Lee told the mayor’s legal team to file a declaration with the court by the end of the week, detailing the status of her policy.

He also told the attorneys from both sides they have until the end of the day Thursday to challenge him overseeing the case, saying he used to work at the same firm with Ms. Lightfoot in the 1990s and had met with her a few times.

“Given the limited nature of my interaction with Mayor Lightfoot since the mid-1990s … I do not believe I am required to recuse myself,” he said.

deebakes
06-10-2021, 01:16 AM
:ffs:

FBD
06-10-2021, 11:03 AM
she got a note from the office of the recently dead and there was but a picture

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7d/c1/df/7dc1dfe397f1ff0bff74d3d7cb6db68f.jpg

lost in melb.
06-13-2021, 12:36 AM
Lol. Stupid b****