PDA

View Full Version : Is race to develop male birth control worth the risk?

RBP
07-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Across the nation, researchers and scientists are competing to develop the first male birth control that would become a contraceptive alternative to condoms.

“We have a number of irons in the fire,” said Diana L. Blithe, program director for contraceptive development for the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, in an interview with the New York Times. “I think men actually do want to do this.”

Just like female birth control, the male version lowers sperm count to a level that inhibits conception. By combining testosterone and progestin, scientists could chemically stop the production of sperm.

But just how safe are the prototypes? Despite positive findings, like a 95 percent success rate, the pill not only stops working with alcohol--it can also make you sick to combine the two.

Long term side effects also point to impotence and infertility.

Despite the set backs, University of Kansas, University of Washington and Columbia University medical centers are all leading the way in developing a safe and risk-free pill, according to an International Business Times article.

One researcher, Elaine Lissner of the Male Contraception Information Project, is experimenting with birth control gel that can be injected in the scrotum. But her research doesn't prove the method is reversible. Lissner even suggested using high frequency sound waves to "heat" the testes and prevent sperm production for months.

As frightening as some of the methods sound, the high demand for a male birth control pill continues to push scientists and pharmaceutical companies to find a solution in the coming years.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2011, 12:58 PM
They already have male birth control, it's called a vasectomy

RBP
07-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Can't you hear it now?? "It's ok baby, I'm on the pill" :|

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2011, 01:04 PM

:|

Godfather
07-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Hey now Mr Men's Equality :lol:... some of us men would like the peace-of-mind of being more in control. If I was single and this was safe, I'd probably go on it.

There are some crazy girls out there... never know when one is going to lie about being on the pill, or go off the pill to get herself pregnant and trap you (I watch Maury, it happens). And condoms break too often.

FBD
07-25-2011, 04:33 PM
If this was safe

that's a huge friggin if, man...no way in hell could you pay me enough to fk with the production of vitality...

Hal-9000
Why wouldn't they?

In terms of preventing pregnancy one would think it would take less hormonal tweaking in the male, as compared to dicking around (pun intended)
with the female reproductive system?

RBP
Hey now Mr Men's Equality :lol:... some of us men would like the peace-of-mind of being more in control. If I was single and this was safe, I'd probably go on it.

There are some crazy girls out there... never know when one is going to lie about being on the pill, or go off the pill to get herself pregnant and trap you (I watch Maury, it happens).

:lol: Maury? really?

Fair point though, I can't argue that - it is empowering to men and that's a good thing.

However, if you were single and banging random broads, I'd hope you'd be wearing a condom anyway for STD protection.

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 04:35 PM
I put condoms on my fingers before foreplay :thumbsup:

most of my encounters don't reach the reproductive stage for some reason :|

Godfather
07-25-2011, 04:36 PM
However, if you were single and banging random broads, I'd hope you'd be wearing a condom anyway for STD protection.

For sure... But they still fail. And I have friends who don't though. And when you think about it, those idiots are the ones who the world needs reproducing the least :lol:

In fact... I have a few friends where I would be doing the world a favor to crush up The Pill in their cereal every morning for :-k

RBP
07-25-2011, 04:37 PM
the pill not only stops working with alcohol--it can also make you sick to combine the two.

And it keeps you from sleeping with ugly broads too!

RBP
07-25-2011, 04:39 PM
For sure... But they still fail. And I have friends who don't though. And when you think about it, those idiots are the ones who the world needs reproducing the least :lol:

In fact... I have a few friends where I would be doing the world a favor to crush up The Pill in their cereal every morning for :-k

:lol: forced sterilization of idiots. We'd need another thread for that.

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 04:40 PM
:lol: forced sterilization of idiots. We'd need another thread for that.

Call it a fancy name like...Eugenics :thumbsup: then the idea will take hold

Godfather
07-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Call it a fancy name like...Eugenics :thumbsup: then the idea will take hold

:lol: :lol:

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 04:43 PM
part of me believes in that theory :oops:

you have to somehow prove you're a responsible viable parent before being allowed to have one....yeah yeah I know, it will never fly but FFS we keep reading about these horror-show parents and that needs to stop.

FBD
07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Why wouldn't they?

In terms of preventing pregnancy one would think it would take less hormonal tweaking in the male, as compared to dicking around (pun intended)
with the female reproductive system?

yeah, except for the small fact that there is already a very convenient mechanism by which females stop ovulating - "pregnancy" - whereas there is no such mechanism in men. when vitality dissipates you are toast, you lose your ability to repair the body. fawwwwk that. I would *NEVER* do it. (if I didnt state that strongly enough before :lol: )

better option, do the seminal kung fu work and learn to separate orgasm and ejaculation...

Joebob034
07-25-2011, 05:02 PM
I am all in favor of this race.

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 05:36 PM
yeah, except for the small fact that there is already a very convenient mechanism by which females stop ovulating - "pregnancy" - whereas there is no such mechanism in men. when vitality dissipates you are toast, you lose your ability to repair the body. fawwwwk that. I would *NEVER* do it. (if I didnt state that strongly enough before :lol: )

better option, do the seminal kung fu work and learn to separate orgasm and ejaculation...

Even better idea...separate the seminal fluid from ejaculate with chemical help...has to be miles easier that killing eggs/altering the natural menstrual process

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
I practice safe contraception every night...sheets and underwear can't get pregnant :dance:

Loser
07-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Would never use it, even if they came out with one.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Despite positive findings, like a 95 percent success rate, the pill not only stops working with alcohol

Really its worthless then

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
drink enough and you won't need the pill

PorkChopSandwiches
07-25-2011, 07:28 PM
when you are drunk is when you need the pill to work the most :lol:

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm talking about gettin really drunk...not the - oh hell I'll climb on top of that and pretend it's Marsha Brady drunk...
I'm talking about the - trying to shoot pool with a piece of rope...and yes I have been there a few times :lol:

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Nothing worse than being so drunk that you'd screw Rosie O'Donnell...and then having a piece of equipment that doesn't function

DemonGeminiX
07-25-2011, 07:35 PM
I sure do hope somebody comes up with a cure for paralysis before I die... oh wait, they have better things to research. A pill for male birth control.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Nothing worse than being so drunk that you'd screw Rosie O'Donnell...and then having a piece of equipment that doesn't function

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AHNIeov0z8U/So7BEBQipTI/AAAAAAAAACw/UuThDL78Jrc/s320/flying_spaghetti_monster_2.jpg

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 07:39 PM
I sure do hope somebody comes up with a cure for paralysis before I die... oh wait, they have better things to research. A pill for male birth control.

I hear that bro...they take millions to study the harmful effects on hairspray on gerbils, yet people need to walk and get cancer removed from their bodies...it ain't right

Joebob034
07-25-2011, 07:43 PM
she can't get pregnant if she's on top - fact

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 08:34 PM
I will pull out before you get pregnant - fact

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
I will call you tomorrow - fact

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Do I respect you?... You can't get pregnant on top - fact :lol:

FBD
07-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Even better idea...separate the seminal fluid from ejaculate with chemical help...has to be miles easier that killing eggs/altering the natural menstrual process

:-s how well do you know anatomy, bro? (funny thing is, the skf does the separation physically - the prostate, bulbospongiosus, etc become more powerful than the ejaculate ;) )