PDA

View Full Version : Biden names VP Harris to lead efforts on protecting voting rights

Teh One Who Knocks
06-02-2021, 03:26 PM
By Mark Moore - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/0ikYHOd.jpg

President Biden has tapped Vice President Kamala Harris to run point on the administration’s efforts to protect voting rights after more than a dozen Republican-led states have passed sweeping election reform measures.

“Today, I’m asking Vice President Harris to help these efforts, and lead them, among her many other responsibilities,” Biden said during a speech Tuesday in Tulsa, Okla., to mark the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre.

“​With her leadership, and your support, we’re gonna overcome again, I promise you,” Biden said of ​his veep. “But it’s gonna take a hell of a lot of work.”

Harris’ voting reform responsibilities add another critical and highly fraught issue the president has tasked her with.​

Along with her appointment as voting rights point person, Harris has been tapped to oversee illegal immigration, and has also been named to lead small business outreach in the coronavirus rescue package.

https://i.imgur.com/6h43gG9.jpg

In March, Biden appointed the VP to oversee the ​immigration crisis at the southern border, later stressing that she would be focused on the “root causes” of the illegal immigrant surge.​

But Harris has come under intense criticism for her role because, while she has met virtually with leaders of some Central American countries, she has yet to visit the border.

​In a statement, Harris said since the 2020 presidential election, “more than 380 bills have been introduced across the country that would make it harder for Americans to vote.​”

https://i.imgur.com/JHLnc4o.jpg

“These bills seek to restrict the options that make voting more convenient and accessible, including early voting and vote by mail. Our Administration will not stand by when confronted with any effort that keeps Americans from voting,” she said.

The vice president said she would work with voting rights groups, community organizations and the private sector “to help strengthen and uplift efforts on voting rights nationwide.”

“The work ahead of us is to make voting accessible to all American voters, and to make sure every vote is counted through a free, fair, and transparent process. This is the work of democracy,” she said.

​Both Harris in her statement and Biden in his Tulsa address noted the For the People Act, federal legislation that would overhaul the election system, and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, named after the late Georgia congressman, that would prevent discrimination in voting laws.

​​The For the People Act was passed by the House but is stalled in the Senate, leading Democrats to consider voting to end the filibuster, which would allow them to approve legislation with a simple majority vote.

“We’re not giving up,” Biden said about the bil​l Tuesday​. “I’m going to fight like heck with every tool at my disposal for its passage.”

A​ccording to the Brennan Center for Justice, 14 states have enacted 22 new measures that tighten voting laws between Jan. 1 and May 14.

It also noted that more bills are under consideration by legislatures across the country. ​

Griffin
06-02-2021, 04:13 PM
If she puts the same amount of effort into this as she did with the border fuck up, we might get back some election integrity.

FBD
06-02-2021, 04:35 PM
these people can fuck off trying to thumb their theft in our faces

PorkChopSandwiches
06-02-2021, 08:04 PM
If she puts the same amount of effort into this as she did with the border fuck up, we might get back some election integrity.

My thoughts exactly

FBD
06-03-2021, 10:33 AM
yall dont realize that "protecting voting rights" is traitorspeak for "make sure that our real true constituents continue being represented, at the cost of those who think they are our constituents"

PorkChopSandwiches
06-03-2021, 03:18 PM
I think we are all aware of that