PDA

View Full Version : Susan Collins Calls Out Biden ATF Nominee David Chipman, Will Vote Against Confirmation

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2021, 01:10 PM
AWR HAWKINS - Breitbart

https://i.imgur.com/XJVWAfQ.jpg

On Monday, Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) pointed to President Joe Biden’s ATF nominee David Chipman’s criticism of the gun industry and his comments about law-abiding gun owners when announcing she will oppose his nomination.

Fox News reported Collins saying:

After meeting with Mr. Chipman, listening to Mainers, and reviewing his record, I have decided to vote against Mr. Chipman’s nomination to serve as the ATF Director. In recent years, Mr. Chipman has been an outspoken critic of the firearms industry and has made statements that demean law-abiding gun owners.

She added:

Although he has the right to express his views, I believe this history makes him an unusually divisive pick for this important position. In particular, I am concerned that his confirmation would do significant damage to the collaborative working relationship that must exist between ATF, the firearms industry, sportsmen and women, and other law-abiding gun owners exercising their Second Amendment rights.

Chipman is a long-time gun control advocate who has voiced support for banning AR-15 rifles.

During his Senate confirmation hearings, Fox News quoted him telling Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), “With respect to the AR-15, I support a ban as has been presented in a senate bill and supported by the president.”

When being questioned on the broader topic of “assault weapons” in general, Chipman struggled to define precisely what an “assault weapon” might be. In response to a question from Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR), Chipman claimed, “An ‘assault weapon’ would be, in the context of the question you ask, whatever Congress defines it as.”

On May 4, 2021, Breitbart News noted that nearly 70 House GOP members sent a letter to their Senate colleagues urging them to oppose Chipman and warning that he is an “enemy of the Second Amendment.”

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2021, 01:27 PM
I've emailed both of my Senators multiple times about rejecting Chipman. They're both Dems (not my fault), and they haven't responded to me, but we'll see what they do.

FBD
06-23-2021, 01:28 PM
I've emailed both of my Senators multiple times about rejecting Chipman. They're both Dems (not my fault), and they haven't responded to me, but we'll see what they do.

at least you live in a state where you can still feel like "we'll see what they do" instead of here where it is 100% useless to try and contact the usurpers

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2021, 01:36 PM
I'm glad Collins will be voting against, but it won't matter so long as all 50 democrats will vote for confirmation. Either Sinema or Manchin will have to oppose to keep the nomination from going through because I doubt any of the other democrats out there will oppose.

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2021, 01:41 PM
I'm glad Collins will be voting against, but it won't matter so long as all 50 democrats will vote for confirmation. Either Sinema or Manchin will have to oppose to keep the nomination from going through because I doubt any of the other democrats out there will oppose.

I don't know, man. We've got a lot of very vocal gun owners down here. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2021, 01:57 PM
I don't know, man. We've got a lot of very vocal gun owners down here. :lol:

Both your senators are pretty far left though, I doubt either one would vote to oppose.

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2021, 04:47 PM
Both your senators are pretty far left though, I doubt either one would vote to oppose.

That'll just motivate us to replace them.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2021, 04:52 PM
That'll just motivate us to replace them.

Your first chance is next year, Warnock is up for re-election since he was only filling a vacancy and not up a full 6 year senate term.

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2021, 05:11 PM
They both responded. :lol:

Office of US Senator Jon Ossoff <senator_ossoff@ossoff.senate.gov>

Thank you for contacting me and my office. Please know that we have received your message and are grateful to you for reaching out to us.

My team and I are working hard every day to deliver for the people of Georgia, and hearing directly from our constituents is key to that effort. Your concerns, feedback and questions will receive my and my office’s full attention, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time with further concerns or for any help we may be able to provide.

Warm wishes,

Senator Ossoff

Office of U.S. Senator Raphael Warnock <do_not_reply@warnock.senate.gov>

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Your views are important to my work in the United States Senate on behalf of the people of Georgia and I appreciate you taking the time to share them with me. I will be sending you a more substantive response to your specific concerns, but in the meantime, I want to let you know that I received your message and value your comments.

If you have written regarding a problem you are having with a federal agency, a caseworker in one of my Georgia offices will be contacting you shortly. To expedite direct contact with a caseworker you may also call my Atlanta office for assistance.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,
Reverend Raphael Warnock
United States Senator

Something tells me they're brushing me off.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2021, 06:17 PM
You got form letters :facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2021, 06:21 PM
You got form letters :facepalm:

I always get form letters. I get them from Buddy Carter too.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2021, 06:23 PM
I'd rather they not respond at all rather than getting a canned form letter. It's bullshit.

FBD
06-23-2021, 07:52 PM
wtf, they cant hand write it and lick the stamps themselves :lol: