PDA

View Full Version : Slice your onions from root to stem

Godfather
07-07-2021, 05:49 AM
I love this guy. I've been making pickled onions weekly for YEARS and always did it orbital... that's how we always cut onions when I worked in a restaurant.

Tried the stem-to-stem method this week and I'm converted for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUXKbBEjSqU&list=RDCMUCDq5v10l4wkV5-ZBIJJFbzQ

deebakes
07-08-2021, 10:48 PM
wait, what?!?!

Godfather
07-09-2021, 03:15 AM
wait, what?!?!

I know, my initial reaction was 'absolutely not' :lol: But I've been giving it a try recently. Pickled onions not only look prettier, but they actually hold up better after a few days cut from root-to-stem. Same with cooking them other ways. I think it's actually better... everything I've known about onions before was a lie.

deebakes
07-09-2021, 03:37 AM
i guess i will give it a try :shrug:

what's your pickled onion recipe?

Godfather
07-09-2021, 05:13 AM
i guess i will give it a try :shrug:

what's your pickled onion recipe?

Glad you asked! I like this recipe because it doesn't use regular distilled vinegar which I find makes the pickled onions harsher.

1 large red onion
2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
⅓ cup red or white wine vinegar
¼ cup apple cider vinegar (*I put an extra little splash of both types of vinegar in on top of what my recipe calls for because I find it's sometimes not quite enough to cover, but the onions will reduce once you pour the boiling brine over top so don't worry about it too much. )
½ cup filtered water (I use tap water and it's fine but original recipe said filtered so fair warning)
1 tbsp real maple syrup (white sugar is totally fine too)
1 ½ tsp kosher salt (again regular salt works fine, I've tried both and find no difference)
6-10 whole black peppercorns
1 tbsp sliced jalapeño/serrano for heat or ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Instructions

- Thinly slice red onions, jalapeno (if using) and garlic and place in a jar or sealable container
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, water, maple syrup, kosher salt, and peppercorns. Bring to a low simmer for a few minutes
- Once your pickling brine is ready, carefully pour into the jar with your red onions, garlic and jalapeno inside. Seal the jar, give it a good shake. Allow it to cool and refrigerate for an hour before using.

It takes 5-10 minutes and honestly I use them on everything.. sandwiches, curry, stir fry, eggs, tacos, pizza (after it comes out of the oven obviously). I make them for my wife and I almost every single week and they last a good 6-8 days.

My only other tip is turn your fan on high and open windows... boiling vinegar isn't super pleasant :lol:

deebakes
07-10-2021, 04:07 PM
:gimme5:

i will let you know how it turns out, thanks buddy