PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Camping/Hunting/Fishing Meals?

Godfather
07-09-2021, 03:14 AM
So I've been camaping a lot the last little while but I'm short on ideas of what to cook and you can only eat hotdogs so often :lol:

One of my favorites is fajitas, just grill some meat and veg, throw on all the toppings, easy camping dinner.

Anyone got any favorite meals for camping/fishing/hunting trips that work well without too much prep or kitchen gadgets?

Griffin
07-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Foil packs (google it) are great for camping. Prepare them at home, pull out of the cooler and set on coals or grill. Quick, easy and the clean up is a cinch. :thumbsup:

lost in melb.
07-09-2021, 12:19 PM
Grilled fish in foil - exactly as Griff was suggesting - or just plain aluminum foil. Baked potatoes with butter and chive in foil. Some kind of basic boiled green to balance it out. E.g. broccoli with herbs, pepper and more butter.

I don't think heavy meats go well camping just before bed, but in the middle of the day is good.

KevinD
07-09-2021, 12:35 PM
Do you have a Dutch oven and an open fire? If so, you'll need eggs, onions, bell peppers (green) , and potatoes. Line the bottom and sides of oven with bacon, stir up the eggs before cooking, like scrambled eggs, slice and dice the taters and onion, mix with eggs and pour into oven on top of bacon. Then cover the top of mixture with more bacon. Cooking time will vary, depending on your fire/coals. Set the oven, with lid directly on coals until done. Ideally, the bottom 2-3 layers of bacon will be pretty much gone. Best camping breakfast ever.

Godfather
07-09-2021, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys! All great ideas, I'm going to try foil packing a meal today for this weekend's trip.

Sadly no fires right now due to how dry the weather is :( But I've still got a nice stove and a cast iron so I can probably give your recipe a try too Kev! Thanks

Griffin
07-09-2021, 07:14 PM
Are they allowing charcoal grills? If so you can do the foil packs there or a gas grill will work.
I carry a small portable gas grill in my camper.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvrM-X8-5j1SJ8xFvuTu5gVWk0Ggbb295mnIBNLAWAvEyDsxSS1dFkQlju jxj2bRRg_YLOl9j4lOU1cQQsjmSf0rEEo7ydG_wvgApwzEQOEG bv4uUtEVHWow&usqp=CAE

Godfather
07-12-2021, 02:16 AM
Are they allowing charcoal grills? If so you can do the foil packs there or a gas grill will work.
I carry a small portable gas grill in my camper.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvrM-X8-5j1SJ8xFvuTu5gVWk0Ggbb295mnIBNLAWAvEyDsxSS1dFkQlju jxj2bRRg_YLOl9j4lOU1cQQsjmSf0rEEo7ydG_wvgApwzEQOEG bv4uUtEVHWow&usqp=CAE

Ya I may get something like that. Right now I've got a propane Coleman where one side is grill and one side is a burner, but it doesn't really do either well. Think I'll ditch it for a proper camping grill and a proper camping stove. We mostly do car camping anyways so over-packing doesn't matter :lol:

Griffin
07-12-2021, 02:39 AM
Nothing wrong with car camping, my truck camper has taken me on many fantastic trips.
I couldn't backpack (unless it was between pubs) because there is no where to carry my beer.

Godfather
07-12-2021, 06:01 AM
Nothing wrong with car camping, my truck camper has taken me on many fantastic trips.
I couldn't backpack (unless it was between pubs) because there is no where to carry my beer.

:lol: Booze is a severe limitation with backpacking for sure. We have so many great forest service roads to explore and government campsites, car camping is just the easiest way to go.

Not to mention, I'd have to buy almost everything over again for backpacking... lighters tent, cooking gear, sleeping bags and pads. It would be fun but that ultra-light gear is so much more expensive and I don't know how much I'd actually do it.