PDA

View Full Version : Want to know why racism will never die?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Last week a man in Denver accidentally died in an altercation with police at the Denver Zoo. It was all started with a domestic dispute and the story is here:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18511091?source=pkg

And now today, a columnist for the Denver Post writes the following garbage (BTW, this columnist is black):

From the zoo to the morgue: Once again, a black man is killed
By Bill Johnson - Denver Post Columnist

A man took his girlfriend last week for an afternoon at the Denver Zoo. He did not make it home.

He died just outside the pen where they keep the elephants, after being Tasered by Denver police officers and zoo security men. He was taken to the morgue.

The man, Alonzo Ashley, had not pulled a weapon. He did not take a zebra, a monkey or anyone hostage. No, becoming delirious in the sweltering heat of July 18, he put his head in a fountain to cool off.

This apparently is a violation of zoo rules. Security told him to stop it. Moments later, the 29-year-old man was dead.

Alonzo Ashley was black.

White men, and you could look this up, do not get killed by police or security guards.

Yet, it is what happens to black men in Denver, over and over and over again. I haven't the stomach to do a recounting of the grisly list. I trust you have been paying attention.

What happens, too, every time another black person is killed by Denver police, a protest rally is held. I have been to so many, I have lost count.

They held one for Alonzo Ashley just outside the front gates of the zoo on Friday. The faces were all familiar: ministers, activists, agitators, old men and women who now even hoist protest signs, things have gotten so bad.

I stood next to Selina Gonzales, 28, and her 1-year-old daughter, Zacari. She had known the dead man for seven years.

"He definitely did not deserve what they did," she said before the speech-making began. "It was not right. It was not fair. He was not the monster they are portraying him to be."

Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said Ashley was out of control and had exhibited extraordinary strength. The zoo says he attacked, tackled and even bit their security guards.

So you . . . kill him?

The Rev. Patrick Demmer of Graham Memorial Community Church took a spot near me after he gave his remarks. We are old hands at these events.

I asked him what he thought would happen next. The two of us almost laughed. Of course we know the routine:

Denver police will conduct an investigation. They will find that not one of the officers violated policy. The district attorney, too, will conclude there is not one provable charge that can be filed.

"At the end of the day," the reverend said, "nothing will be done."

Pastor Reginald Holmes has been fighting back against police abuses through his Greater Metro Denver Ministerial Alliance for nearly a decade now.

I first met him in 2003, in the days following the killing of Paul Childs, a developmentally disabled teenager, who was gunned down by Denver police in the front door of his mother's home.

You could see the weariness in his eyes, hear the pain in his words. Law enforcement, he said, is sending a clear and concise message to the black community: We do not value your life.

"He was killed at the zoo!" Holmes bellowed. "In our first-class city, at our first-class zoo, the life of a polar bear is more precious than the life of a black man. Is black life not even valued at the zoo?"

We don't know what really happened yet.

It astounded me that so many people at the rally kept saying this over and over. In Denver, we should be long past giving police any benefit of the doubt in such needless killings.

How many fathers, brothers, sons and husbands have to die, how many more funerals and rallies will there have to be before honest and true change in this city arrives?

Sadly, here is what will happen next, too:

The Ashley family will hire a lawyer. The city, which never goes to court because it knows systemic problems exist that could cost it a fortune, will settle.

The City Council again will wail and promise change — for sure this time! — as it cuts yet another settlement check.

A couple of months later, a different black body will lie in a morgue.

And another rally will be held.

:|

AntZ
07-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Population control! What's wrong with that??

Being black and sticking your head in a fountain sounds like a valid reason to me! :-k

I know how to fix this problem! We need Jesse and Al to call "dial-a-mob" and march on Denver! And big contributions to their corrupt charities. Then we need everyone in Denver to undergo sensitivity training, and last but not least, a new black mayor and police chief!

Then there will be healing! :grouphug:

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 09:58 PM
I know two things that will curb racism -

1. black people calling each other niggers every second word in conversation and song.Words have power, it's time we lost that one...
2.if in some areas, blacks didn't commit 77% of the crimes within the demographic...

No I am not a bigot or a skinhead...quite the opposite in fact.I learned to be color blind at a very young age.
People gotta start taking responsibilities for their actions and their lives, even if they're dealt a bad hand at the outset.

AntZ
07-25-2011, 10:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/za4ms.jpg

AntZ
07-25-2011, 10:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/q4wxA.jpg

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 10:11 PM
famous guy up here in Canada got tazed at the airport and died...he was white...and POLISH :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2011, 10:12 PM
What pisses me off about this is, the cops did nothing wrong! The guy was being unruly, they tried to detain him, he struggled and fought with the cops and because of that they tased him.

Would the idiot that wrote the article be happier had the cops just shot the guy in the head instead? :roll:

Once again, this moron is the one who put himself in this situation, not the cops.

AntZ
07-25-2011, 10:14 PM
:-k

Denver police said Tuesday that officers used a Taser on the man who died Monday at the Denver Zoo but that the device was ineffective and he continued to struggle until he was finally held down.

An autopsy will be conducted today to determine the cause of death.

Police were called to the zoo at 5:02 p.m. Monday after the man threatened his girlfriend and attacked a zoo security guard, said Sonny Jackson, spokesman for the Denver Police Department.

After arriving, officers contacted the man, who was acting irrationally, and he repeatedly refused to comply with officers' commands, police said.

When police attempted to restrain the man, he attacked the officers and zoo security guards — hitting one officer and biting another officer and a security guard. One officer suffered a head injury.

Officers then attempted to use a Taser in "contact mode" without success.

In contact mode, the Taser is placed directly against the suspect's skin, causing pain in an isolated area of the body without affecting the body's full electrical system, Jackson said. Police did not use the stronger setting, in which electrical barbs are shot at the suspect....

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 10:18 PM
that's the whole point....respect

sure, there are instances of cops being over zealous and screwing up with excessive force.

But if people don't listen to the commands that cops initially give, I feel the cops have every right to get the situation under control.
Just ask a cop who's ran down a dark alley chasing a perp who has a gun...that shit is sphincter tightening.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-25-2011, 10:32 PM
I know two things that will curb racism -

1. black people calling each other niggers every second word in conversation and song.Words have power, it's time we lost that one...
2.if in some areas, blacks didn't commit 77% of the crimes within the demographic...

No I am not a bigot or a skinhead...quite the opposite in fact.I learned to be color blind at a very young age.
People gotta start taking responsibilities for their actions and their lives, even if they're dealt a bad hand at the outset.

Missed this...and all I can add is :tup:

Yt Trash
07-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson said Ashley was out of control and had exhibited extraordinary strength. The zoo says he attacked, tackled and even bit their security guards.

This .... enough said!

Hal-9000
07-25-2011, 10:46 PM
he bit their security guards? I wonder if he was a black panther?................

Hugh_Janus
07-26-2011, 12:01 AM
reminds me of a the news story a couple of weeks ago when some highschool kid got stabbed and killed when he and his father were beating the shit out of 2 carpark attendants. CCTV footage showed them attacking the attendants, but the neighbourhood friends and family interviewed by the press were adamant they wouldn't do such a thing and made out that the 2 aggressors were angels.... even though the father had previous for drugs and violence

AntZ
07-26-2011, 12:46 AM
reminds me of a the news story a couple of weeks ago when some highschool kid got stabbed and killed when he and his father were beating the shit out of 2 carpark attendants. CCTV footage showed them attacking the attendants, but the neighbourhood friends and family interviewed by the press were adamant they wouldn't do such a thing and made out that the 2 aggressors were angels.... even though the father had previous for drugs and violence

Yup!

Just like every violent gang member punk that's either killed by another gang or the cops, always becomes an "honor student" that "never hurt anyone" after their dead. :roll:

Southern Belle
07-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Yeah, a black guy in Charlotte was tasered by police there because he was bludgeoning a woman. He died later and the black community was holding a prayer vigil on his behalf.
WTF, do these people just ignore that the guy was beating a woman, or anybody?
I'm so sick of the race thing. Stop doing stupid shit and you'll stop being persecuted.

Noilly Pratt
07-26-2011, 01:12 AM
I think the police showed remarkable restraint in this, given that this person threatened someone (his girlfriend), would not respond, and attacked, tackled and bit those who wanted him to stop...and then was tasered, and STILL refused to stop attacking in a public venue where others, not to mention the security and police personnel, could have been injured.

Well put in your comments about this, Hal and Lance.