PDA

View Full Version : Critics react as Fauci says new mask mandates 'under active consideration': 'Sure as hell not about science'

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2021, 10:58 AM
By Kelsey Koberg | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/po1LFfVl.jpg

Dr. Anthony Fauci said on CNN Saturday that bringing back mask mandates is "under active consideration," and that he is "part of the discussion" around the decision.

Fauci was questioned by CNN anchor Jake Tapper on whether he was part of conversations with top health officials on whether to impose a nationwide mask mandate for vaccinated Americans, and whether he thinks masks should be brought back.

Fauci said implementing mask mandates is "under active consideration," and that he is "part of the discussion," but did not say whether or not he supported mask mandates.

Fauci’s comments came amid a rise in COVID cases from the Delta variant, with Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochell Walensky claiming the variant is "spreading with incredible efficiency and now represents more than 83% of the virus circulating in the United States."

Individuals who are hospitalized with the infection are now largely those who are unvaccinated – about 99% of individuals, according to Kristen Choi, an assistant professor at UCLA School of Nursing.

Fauci added that CDC guidance still recommends that vaccinated Americans do not need to wear masks, but that local officials have the discretion to implement mandates should they choose.

"If you’re looking at what’s going on locally, in the trenches, in places like LA county, the local officials have the discretion, and the CDC agrees with that ability and discretion capability, to say ‘you know, you’re in a situation where we’re having a lot of dynamics of infection, but even if you are vaccinated, you should wear a mask," said Fauci.

He added the localities making the decision to impose mask mandates was not "incompatible with the CDC’s overall recommendations that give a lot of discretion to the locals."

Critics slammed Fauci’s comments as being about "control," and "constantly changing."

"Fauci chirping this weekend the vaccinated may well be back behind masks soon," tweeted conservative columnist Chris Stigall. "Proving this isn’t about anything other than control. It’s sure as hell not about science."
"And they wonder why the public doesn’t know who to trust when the messaging is constantly changing," tweeted Independent Women’s Voice, a conservative policy advocacy organization.
"Fauci is seriously suggesting that vaccinated people might need to wear masks again? Who is still buying this s---?" conservative comedian Tim Young tweeted.
Fauci also told Tapper that there are "two kinds of America," differentiating between the "very vulnerable unvaccinated" and the "really relatively protected vaccinated part." He also said that he wants elected leaders in "areas that are not vaccinated to get out and speak out and encourage people to get vaccinated."

In May, the CDC released guidance that people who are fully vaccinated could stop wearing masks and social distancing indoors.

lost in melb.
07-26-2021, 11:34 AM
Bah, forget it. Every man for himself in the US.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2021, 11:46 AM
Bah, forget it. Every man for himself in the US.

Look dude, I am done with wearing masks. I didn't get vaccinated to have to keep, or go back to, wearing a mask. I'm vaccinated, I am NOT worried about getting Covid, not even a little bit worried. I wasn't all that worried before I was vaccinated either, but now that I am, I have almost zero worry about contracting it at all. Fauci is an assclown and they are right, it's all about control. First he says don't wear masks, then he says you absolutely have to wear masks or you will die horribly, then he says if you're vaccinated you're fine and don't need a mask, and now it's back to possibly having to wear a mask again. It's NOT about science, it's 100% about control. I am done.

The people that don't want to get vaccinated have made a conscious choice and they are the ones that will have to deal with any possible circumstances. Same with the people that got vaccinated, we have to deal with the possibility of possible side effects. Each group of people weighed the options and made their OWN choice that they thought was best for them. I am NOT going to be forced to wear a mask now because of the faintly remote possibility that I may become asymptomatic with Covid and there might be the .1% chance that I pass by someone that is unvaccinated and beyond all odds they catch it from me. I made my choice and they made their choice. Pointing fingers and demonizing EITHER side is pointless and just divides people more.

Either the vaccines work or they don't, full stop. If the idea is to get more people vaccinated, telling them that after you get the jab absolutely nothing will change and you have to wear a mask and hide in your basement from the boogey man virus is NOT the way to do it. I was at Bandimere Speedway last weekend with 15,000 other people, not one of them wearing a mask and I didn't feel worried in the least about contracting Covid. People need to live their lives and make their choices and everyone needs to just mind their own business and worry about themselves. If you are vaccinated, there is (supposedly) no reason at all to worry about getting a severe case of the virus. And if that is the case, why does everyone care about what everyone else is doing? I'm going to do what we have always supposed to have been doing, looking out for myself and my family and not care/worry about what other people are doing with their lives. We make a conscious decision to deal with threats in our lives every single day we wake up and go about our day, this is no different. And drawing dividing lines between people is NOT the way to make things better.

/rant

lost in melb.
07-26-2021, 11:53 AM
I appreciate your post and I'm not completely disagreeing with you.

My response was not very articulate, but I'm basically saying this is a waste of time. America has moved on, I'm not sure where, but I can't imagine people going back to wearing masks. At least you have a good sense to be vaccinated so you're not amongst the 40% that will still remain vulnerable to getting the severe symptoms of Covid.

Fauci should have just done his job right from the start, but he had to play politics. And continues to do so.

lost in melb.
07-26-2021, 11:59 AM
So I'm saying every man from self. If you don't want to get vaccinated and want to wear a mask instead to protect yourself, go for it. If you are vaccinated and don't feel that you need to do so, go for it. If there's a surge of covid in an area and the shop says you have to wear masks to come in, then go for it. I reckon the total deaths will end up being something around 800 to 900 thousand, a bit more than the Spanish flu. But I don't see it getting much over that.

Muddy
07-26-2021, 06:58 PM
Look dude, I am done with wearing masks. I didn't get vaccinated to have to keep, or go back to, wearing a mask. I'm vaccinated, I am NOT worried about getting Covid, not even a little bit worried. I wasn't all that worried before I was vaccinated either, but now that I am, I have almost zero worry about contracting it at all. Fauci is an assclown and they are right, it's all about control. First he says don't wear masks, then he says you absolutely have to wear masks or you will die horribly, then he says if you're vaccinated you're fine and don't need a mask, and now it's back to possibly having to wear a mask again. It's NOT about science, it's 100% about control. I am done.

The people that don't want to get vaccinated have made a conscious choice and they are the ones that will have to deal with any possible circumstances. Same with the people that got vaccinated, we have to deal with the possibility of possible side effects. Each group of people weighed the options and made their OWN choice that they thought was best for them. I am NOT going to be forced to wear a mask now because of the faintly remote possibility that I may become asymptomatic with Covid and there might be the .1% chance that I pass by someone that is unvaccinated and beyond all odds they catch it from me. I made my choice and they made their choice. Pointing fingers and demonizing EITHER side is pointless and just divides people more.

Either the vaccines work or they don't, full stop. If the idea is to get more people vaccinated, telling them that after you get the jab absolutely nothing will change and you have to wear a mask and hide in your basement from the boogey man virus is NOT the way to do it. I was at Bandimere Speedway last weekend with 15,000 other people, not one of them wearing a mask and I didn't feel worried in the least about contracting Covid. People need to live their lives and make their choices and everyone needs to just mind their own business and worry about themselves. If you are vaccinated, there is (supposedly) no reason at all to worry about getting a severe case of the virus. And if that is the case, why does everyone care about what everyone else is doing? I'm going to do what we have always supposed to have been doing, looking out for myself and my family and not care/worry about what other people are doing with their lives. We make a conscious decision to deal with threats in our lives every single day we wake up and go about our day, this is no different. And drawing dividing lines between people is NOT the way to make things better.

/rant

I've moved on as well... I did take a plane trip a few days ago to Florida and I wore the mask.. I didn't mind though because I didn't want to get ANY illness regardless of Covid on my vacation trip..

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2021, 11:51 AM
https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1420467523502346246

Twitter thread from Rep. Crenshaw concerning the "data" the CDC used for the mask mandates the democrats want to reinstate everywhere (and some already have).

Muddy
07-30-2021, 12:25 PM
https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1420467523502346246

Twitter thread from Rep. Crenshaw concerning the "data" the CDC used for the mask mandates the democrats want to reinstate everywhere (and some already have).

I'm surprised Twitter god hasn't censored him yet.

Griffin
07-30-2021, 12:44 PM
apparently they have because the link won't open

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2021, 12:50 PM
Works fine for me.

Griffin
07-30-2021, 12:56 PM
finally started working for me after several attempts

Pony
07-30-2021, 03:38 PM
At least you have a good sense to be vaccinated so you're not amongst the 40% that will still remain vulnerable to getting the severe symptoms of Covid.

So, considering that the virus is most deadly to those over a certain age group and with underlying conditions, and also that the majority of that 60% that got the shots are those that are most at risk in the two above groups, I think we can assume that the fatality rate should stay down to "acceptable" levels.

Griffin
07-30-2021, 03:50 PM
Yeah , with the high survival rate I'll take my chances with the virus rather than be a labrat.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2021, 03:53 PM
So, considering that the virus is most deadly to those over a certain age group and with underlying conditions, and also that the majority of that 60% that got the shots are those that are most at risk in the two above groups, I think we can assume that the fatality rate should stay down to "acceptable" levels.

The current 7 day rolling average of deaths due to Covid in the US is 305. That number is below the average daily deaths due to Alzheimer’s (333), stroke (411), cancer (1643), and heart disease (1806). IMHO it's already at or below an acceptable level, especially when you consider that at the height of it all, the 7 day average was 3,400.

Griffin
07-30-2021, 05:00 PM
especially when you consider that at the height of it all, the 7 day average was 3,400.

and the validity of that number is questionable.