PDA

View Full Version : OPINION: Simone Biles Quit On Her Team And Her Country. She Should Not Be Celebrated For It.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2021, 01:13 PM
Matt Walsh - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/NwCGLDTl.jpg

From the way that Olympic gymnast Simone Biles is being praised this week, you might think that the decorated superstar put on a heroic display during the team competition in Tokyo and led her squad to a gold medal.

Prominent politicians like Ayanna Pressley and Cori Bush have made public statements applauding her. The White House Press Secretary expressed “gratitude and support.” Deadspin gushed over “the most impressive move of her career.” Former Olympians joined in the group hug. Articles have been written extolling her bravery and declaring that her achievements this week have sent a “powerful message” to the world. CNN called her performance “impactful.” She has been hailed for her strength and for “setting an amazing example” and being a great athlete and role model. Women’s advocacy groups have thanked her.

It was all perhaps the most effusive praise that has ever been heaped on a quitter.

That is what Simone Biles did to earn this exuberant applause. She gave up. After struggling in the qualifying rounds, and botching her first event in the women’s team finals, Biles decided to withdraw from the meet. The best gymnast on the squad, one of the most celebrated U.S. Olympic athletes of all time, chose to abandon her team in the middle of the finals. Her teammates would finish second behind Russia, while Biles went on to receive even more acclaim than a gold medal would have earned her.

There was some talk early on suggesting that Biles had been physically injured. But that was not the case. Biles has since explained that she left the competition in order to focus on her “mental health” and her “mindfulness.” She complained that the Olympics haven’t been “fun” this year. “This Olympic Games, I wanted it to be for myself when I came in — and I felt like I was still doing it for other people,” she said. Returning to this theme later, she said that it’s important to “put mental health first” because if you don’t then “you’re not going to enjoy your sport.” She complained about the “pressure” that she’s under.

On one hand, there is nothing terribly surprising about the reasons she gives for quitting. People quit things all the time, and they almost always do it because the thing they are quitting is too difficult and not very fun. This is the universal rationale of all quitters everywhere, for all time. In this case, there is no doubt that the difficult thing was very difficult indeed. The pressure she experiences as a world famous athlete on a global stage must be quite burdensome on both an emotional and physical level. This is what makes quitting understandable. But the one thing that it cannot be is admirable.

If Simone Biles had bailed on her team and apologized after the fact, and the public had reacted appropriately to the news, then there wouldn’t be much to else to say on the matter. It is hard to compete in the Olympics. It is hard to live up to high expectations. Lots of people quit when things are hard. We all have, at one time or another. That is why, when someone quits, we normally shake our heads and say, “That’s a shame,” and then we move on with our lives. Nobody is suggesting that athletes who quit ought to be tarred and feathered in the street. It is enough to be disappointed and be done with it.

The problem is that now we are exhorted not simply to understand why someone quits, but to actively applaud them for doing so. What makes the Simone Biles story troubling is not that the women’s gymnastic team had to settle for a silver medal, but that our cultural powers that be want us to celebrate cowardice. As always, it is not enough to merely tolerate another person’s decision or to be compassionate towards their struggles. We are meant, now, to rise to our feet and joyously cheer what all people throughout history, and most people living in the world today, would consider shameful and unfortunate. It is one thing to say: “Simone Biles quit, but let’s have some empathy.” It is quite another to say: “Simone Biles quit. Isn’t that so brave?”

No, no it is not brave. It may be human, it may be relatable, but it is the opposite of brave. To be brave is to refuse to quit precisely when most people would. That is why we admire people who persevere: because they are rare. Quitters are a dime a dozen. Cowardice is in no short supply in our world, and it will become even more common now that we have rebranded it as courage. Indeed, if we will grant to cowardice the rewards of courage without the effort and sacrifice, why bother with courage at all?

The many defenders of Simone Biles have said that she is right — a role model, in fact — for prioritizing her “mental health” above all else. In the era of the Psychological Man, when there is nothing more important than the self’s opinion of itself, it is perhaps no surprise that we should congratulate a woman for explicitly putting herself before her team and her country. And yet, still, one wonders how consistently this new moral code would be applied. Would Tom Brady receive such a worshipful reaction if he left in the third quarter of a playoff game because he “wasn’t having fun” and needed to work on his “mindfulness”?

Such a thing is almost unthinkable because it has never happened and probably never would. But there have been cases of sulking professional athletes leaving the field or the court a few seconds early because they were frustrated and sad during a bad loss. We’ve seen this move from LeBron James, for example, perhaps the greatest sulker in all of sports. There are usually a few people willing to defend this kind of behavior from male athletes, but they’ve never been celebrated like a returning war hero the way Simone Biles has been, and Naomi Osaka before her.

Perhaps we will get there one day, though. Maybe we are fast approaching a time when the greatest athletes will be those who manage to feel the best about themselves while competing. At that point, we will not need them to perform any athletic feats at all. They can simply stand in a circle and whisper sweet nothings to themselves. Everyone wins in the end. It may not make for much of a spectator sport, but at least we will know that nobody’s mental health has been damaged.

The views expressed in this piece are the author’s own and do not necessarily represent those of The Daily Wire.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2021, 01:14 PM
Would be interested in hearing lost in melb.'s and RBP's take on her claiming 'mental health' on quitting.

Muddy
07-28-2021, 01:40 PM
She really blew it and the media needs to pull her off that high horse and focus on the other team members that give it their all.

I have no problem with her not being able to cope and dropping out. She, and everyone else, needs to just stop calling her the greatest of all time. The great ones step up, not fall apart, when things are at the toughest.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-28-2021, 04:53 PM
Everything she has done was building up to this event, suck it up little bitch. Have a breakdown after

Goofy
07-28-2021, 05:04 PM
She really blew it and the media needs to pull her off that high horse and focus on the other team members that give it their all.

I have no problem with her not being able to cope and dropping out. She, and everyone else, needs to just stop calling her the greatest of all time. The great ones step up, not fall apart, when things are at the toughest.

Yup! It's even been headline news over here, and every single person seems to be praising her :shrug: Imagine being the person who just missed the cut, missing out on your lifetime dream just to see someone chucking it away.......... i dunno, maybe we were just raised differently in my day, it's just not in me to give up :shrug:

The big soundbite i keep hearing is "we applaud her bravery"............. surely bravery would be to keep going through adversity rather than throwing in the towel?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-28-2021, 05:07 PM
Shes sooooo brave....fuck you

Goofy
07-28-2021, 05:43 PM
Shes sooooo brave....fuck you

:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2021, 05:50 PM
The big soundbite i keep hearing is "we applaud her bravery"............. surely bravery would be to keep going through adversity rather than throwing in the towel?

Unfortunately not with today's generation. Bravery is being self centered and quitting.

Griffin
07-28-2021, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately not with today's generation. Bravery is being self centered and quitting.

or shirking your responsibilities and duties as an elected official by jumping on a plane and flying to DC.

KevinD
07-28-2021, 06:23 PM
Problem is, she's not even the GOAT, that title should belong to Shannon Miller, with 7 Olympic medals. Simone has 5.

Pony
07-28-2021, 08:33 PM
I can't imagine being what 24? years old and being under the immense pressure to not only perform well but be EXPECTED to blow all he competition out of the water. They (the media) put soo much pressure on her, I feel bad that it got to be too much.

Plus I heard the judges weren't giving her credit for some of the stuff she can do saying it's "not fair to pressure the other gymnasts to the point they may injure themselves"... Isn't that kinda the point? to push yourself beyond your limits to prove you're one of the best in the world?

That said.... She shouldn't be celebrated for making a decision she's likely to regret for the rest of her life.

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2021, 10:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq-usvN216A

lost in melb.
07-29-2021, 01:15 AM
The best gymnast on the squad, one of the most celebrated U.S. Olympic athletes of all time, chose to abandon her team in the middle of the finals. Her teammates would finish second behind Russia, while Biles went on to receive even more acclaim than a gold medal would have earned her.

I think above is the issue here.

I think that it does take courage to be open about your mental issues as a professional athlete. And this is what her and Osaka are being commended for. It also humanizes them - that great athletes suffer from crippling stress as well. But it would demonstrate even more courage to be open about their issue and yet still finish the job.

RBP
07-29-2021, 02:03 AM
Would be interested in hearing lost in melb.'s and RBP's take on her claiming 'mental health' on quitting.

Pity not praise. All I have to say.

KevinD
07-29-2021, 01:32 PM
The way it was explained to me (by my wife mind you) is that Simone quit because she did poorly, and didn't want her scores to hurt the team. Wife also says though that the lowest score is not counted anyway, so unless one of the girls did worse, that explanation doesn't make sense.

Godfather
07-29-2021, 05:05 PM
There's a wild amount of fuss and outrage around this. People on twitter seem more upset about Biles than they were about Nassar...

Any lesser known Olympian and this wouldn't even make the news, which I'm guessing is ironically a huge part of the reason for her mental health. I don't think any of us can fathom the pressure she's under from social media, journalists, sponsors, coaches, teammates, friends and family. Just look at the fallout here...

A wrong move in this sport could easily paralyze or kill you. I think she has every right to pull out if she's not feeling right - physical injury or mental. She's already proved she's a gold medalist, give her the benefit of the doubt.

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2021, 06:16 PM
There is no I in TEAM.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.
The Olympics are bigger than any individual competing. You don't go just for you.

Send Biles a copy of The Inner Game of Tennis.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-29-2021, 06:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwa5Bf656As

THIS is what we call being brave and an Olympic hero. Not someone who had to quit on her team and country because she had to work on her "mindfulness" and because the Games weren't "fun" this time around.

When you sign up and train your whole life to be an Olympic athlete, you know EXACTLY what you are signing up for. After that, you can't claim "my mental health" because you aren't doing well. You suck it up.

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2021, 06:44 PM
I was gonna mention Kerri in a long winded post, but it was really long and I know nobody would have read it.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-29-2021, 07:04 PM
I was gonna mention Kerri in a long winded post, but it was really long and I know nobody would have read it.

I would have read it :sad2:

You should see the people commenting on the page of that video trying to rewrite history about her 2nd vault. All the Biles apologists.

Godfather
07-29-2021, 07:38 PM
I know we all want to see heroics for the team and country, but Simone has already proved all that. She won six medals at Worlds in 2018 with kidney stones, and Nationals I believe in both 2016 and 2021 with broken toes on both feet, as well as countless physical injuries throughout her career to her feet, hips, shoulders, let alone the mental scars from Nassar.... I'm fortunate enough to have good mental health but am trying to understand and accept that mental health struggles can be just as crippling and legitimate as physical ones and come in different shapes and sizes, so I'm still going to give her the benefit of the doubt.

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2021, 07:49 PM
The video got it wrong. It wasn't a minor injury. And the commenters are wrong to say that we didn't need her vault to win the gold. And Karolyi didn't force Strug out there, she chose to do it. She wanted to do it. I remember it as clear today as if it were yesterday.

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2021, 07:59 PM
I know we all want to see heroics for the team and country, but Simone has already proved all that. She won six medals at Worlds in 2018 with kidney stones, and Nationals I believe in both 2016 and 2021 with broken toes on both feet, as well as countless physical injuries throughout her career to her feet, hips, shoulders, let alone the mental scars from Nassar.... I'm fortunate enough to have good mental health but am trying to understand and accept that mental health struggles can be just as crippling and legitimate as physical ones and come in different shapes and sizes, so I'm still going to give her the benefit of the doubt.

She could have proven it a second time. If she wasn't out there for team and country, then she should have given that spot up to somebody else who would have been. The World's are for the individual, the Olympics are for country.

You wouldn't be cutting your countrymen a break if they were hyped up to win hockey gold in the Winter Olympics and they lost because they checked out during a game for mental health reasons and because they thought it just wasn't any fun anymore. Don't sit here and tell me you would.

Muddy
07-29-2021, 08:01 PM
She's no Michael Phelps.. That's for sure.

Godfather
07-29-2021, 08:22 PM
She could have proven it a second time. If she wasn't out there for team and country, then she should have given that spot up to somebody else who would have been. The World's are for the individual, the Olympics are for country.

You wouldn't be cutting your countrymen a break if they were hyped up to win hockey gold in the Winter Olympics and they lost because they checked out during a game for mental health reasons and because they thought it just wasn't any fun anymore. Don't sit here and tell me you would.

I can 100% promise you that if Sidney Crosby himself said he was struggling mentally and needed to withdraw at the last minute, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He's proved who he is, how hard he'll fight to win and what he's willing to play through for years, like Biles. I cannot remotely pretend to put myself in the shoes of people with this much on their shoulders. Would I be disappointed at the loss? Of course! Would I be the one throwing stones and casting judgment? Hell no.

Pony
07-29-2021, 08:24 PM
The way it was explained to me (by my wife mind you) is that Simone quit because she did poorly, and didn't want her scores to hurt the team. Wife also says though that the lowest score is not counted anyway, so unless one of the girls did worse, that explanation doesn't make sense.

I believe it's the highest 3 scores of 4 competitors. So technically she could have totally tanked and it wouldn't have hurt the team any worse than dropping out. So yea, that reason doesn't really make sense.

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2021, 08:32 PM
I can 100% promise you that if Sidney Crosby himself said he was struggling mentally and needed to withdraw at the last minute, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He's proved who he is, how hard he'll fight to win and what he's willing to play through for years, like Biles. I cannot remotely pretend to put myself in the shoes of people with this much on their shoulders. Would I be disappointed at the loss? Of course! Would I be the one throwing stones and casting judgment? Hell no.

:hand:

You'd be calling Crosby 10-ply, and you know it.

[-(

Muddy
07-29-2021, 08:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq-usvN216A

These two should have a competition on who is tallest.

Godfather
07-29-2021, 08:46 PM
:hand:

You'd be calling Crosby 10-ply, and you know it.

[-(

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2021, 08:48 PM
These two should have a competition on who is tallest.

Simone Bile 4' 8"
Ben Shapiro 5' 7"

DemonGeminiX
07-29-2021, 08:49 PM

I gotta tell ya, man, I love that line: "you're 10-ply, bud". Cracks me up every time I hear it. :lol:

Muddy
07-29-2021, 08:50 PM
Simone Bile 4' 8"
Ben Shapiro 5' 7"

I'm not sure he busted the 7" mark.. Take them shoes off and Im going with 4"...

Godfather
07-29-2021, 08:51 PM
I gotta tell ya, man, I love that line: "you're 10-ply, bud". Cracks me up every time I hear it. :lol:

I was going to say, one of my favorite insults :lol: Letterkenny is full of one-liners like that.

Griffin
07-29-2021, 09:19 PM
just kiddin, I don't give a fuck

lost in melb.
07-31-2021, 06:58 AM
Pity not praise. All I have to say.

There's a wild amount of fuss and outrage around this. People on twitter seem more upset about Biles than they were about Nassar...

Any lesser known Olympian and this wouldn't even make the news, which I'm guessing is ironically a huge part of the reason for her mental health. I don't think any of us can fathom the pressure she's under from social media, journalists, sponsors, coaches, teammates, friends and family. Just look at the fallout here...

A wrong move in this sport could easily paralyze or kill you. I think she has every right to pull out if she's not feeling right - physical injury or mental. She's already proved she's a gold medalist, give her the benefit of the doubt.

I think there's two sides to it. Her personal issues and how the media reacts.

The Monk
07-31-2021, 08:19 AM

What ??!!! - not interested in my view? :lol:

DemonGeminiX
07-31-2021, 09:54 AM
What ??!!! - not interested in my view? :lol:

Do you have any mental health training? :-s