PDA

View Full Version : Taliban takes another Afghan provincial capital as American, NATO forces finalize pullout

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2021, 10:40 AM
The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/MUjDhIu.png

The Taliban on Monday took control of another provincial capital in Afghanistan, an official said. The city's fall was the latest in a weekslong, relentless Taliban offensive as American and NATO forces finalize their pullout from the war-torn country.

The militants have ramped up their push across much of Afghanistan, turning their guns on provincial capitals after taking large swaths of land in the mostly rural countryside. At the same time, they have been waging an assassination campaign targeting senior government officials in the capital, Kabul.

The sweep comes despite condemnations by the international community and warnings from the United Nations that a military victory and takeover by the Taliban would not be recognized. The Taliban have also not heeded appeals to return to the negotiating table and continue long-stalled peace talks with the Afghan government.

According to Mohammad Noor Rahmani, the council chief of northern Sar-e Pul province, the Taliban overran the provincial capital after over a week of resistance by the Afghan security forces, after which the city of Sar-e Pul collapsed. The government forces have now completely withdrawn from the province, he said.

Several pro-government local militia commanders also surrendered to the Taliban without a fight, allowing the insurgents to gain control of the entire province, Rahmani added.

The city of Sar-e Pul joins three other provincial capitals now fully under Taliban control: Zaranj, the capital of western Nimroz province, the city of Shibirghan, the capital of northern Zawzjan province, and Taleqan, the capital of another northern province with the same name.

The Taliban are also fighting on for control of the city of Kunduz, the capital of northern Kunduz province. On Sunday, they planted their flag in the city's main square, where it was seen flying atop a traffic police booth, a video obtained by The Associated Press showed.

Kunduz’s capture would be a significant gain for the Taliban and a test of their ability to take and retain territory in their campaign against the Western-backed government. It is one of the country’s larger cities with a population of more than 340,000 and was a key area defended against Taliban takeovers by Western troops over the years.

After billions of dollars spent in aiding, training, and shoring up Afghan forces, many are at odds with how to explain the surprising Taliban blitz that has threatened — and by now taken — several of the country’s 34 provincial capitals.

Rahmani, the council chief in Sar-e Pul, said the provincial capital had been under siege by the militants for weeks, with no reinforcements being sent to the overstretched Afghan forces. A video circulating on social media Monday shows a number of Taliban fighters, standing in front of the Sar-e Pul governor’s office and congratulating each other for the victory.

The country-wide Taliban offensive intensified as U.S. and NATO troops began to wrap up their withdrawal from Afghanistan this summer. With Taliban attacks increasing, Afghan security forces and government troops have retaliated with airstrikes aided by the United States. The fighting has also raised growing concerns about civilian casualties.

The insurgents have also taken most of Lashkar Gah, the capital of southern Helmand province, where they took nine of the 10 police districts in the city last week. Heavy fighting there continues, as do U.S. and Afghan government airstrikes, one of which damaged a health clinic and a high school.

The Defense Ministry confirmed airstrikes occurred but said they targeted Taliban positions, killing 54 fighters and wounding 23. Its statement made no mention of a clinic or school being bombed. Deputy provincial council chairman Majid Akhund said the facilities had been under Taliban control when they were struck.

On Saturday, Taliban fighters entered the capital of the northern Jawzjan province after sweeping through nine of 10 districts in the province. And the city of Kandahar, the provincial capital of Kandahar, also remains under siege.

As they rolled through provincial capitals, the Taliban issued an English language statement on Sunday saying that residents, government employees, and security officials had nothing to fear from them.

However, revenge attacks and repressive treatment of women have been reported in areas now under Taliban control.

The Monk
08-10-2021, 08:24 AM
Vietnam all over again :?:

lost in melb.
08-11-2021, 02:27 AM
Yes and no. Too many crazy is there

deebakes
08-13-2021, 02:25 PM
:sad:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-13-2021, 04:38 PM
We just need Afghanistan for the lithium, the rest of the place can fuck off

Godfather
08-14-2021, 06:39 AM
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-embassy-staff-kabul-afghanistan-shred-documents-2021-8

https://globalnews.ca/news/8108721/canada-military-afghanistan-embassy/

Looks like Kabul could fall in weeks rather than months. Wonder how big the helicopter parking lot is at the embassy :wha:

In my uninformed opinion, we should've stayed (not just America, I mean Canada and NATO too). It wasn't particularly costly or dangerous anymore at the level we'd been holding (relatively speaking -av of 1 KIA/month the last 6-7 years). We destabilized the region to fight terrorism and make the place better, and despite our leaders maybe not realizing what they got into, we can't go back 20 years and now bare responsibility rather than quitting. Now Afghanistan has no hope for a future and no hope in us. I don't believe this idea we can support a landlocked country via air strikes. And what does this mean for the West? Look how fast ISIS came up in Iraq. AQ is a shell of itself for now, but jihadist will come back here too, so will we be back in 20 years?

I dono, I'm sure there are counter-points but friends of mine who served that you might think are cold pricks are posting photos on FB worried about the interpreters, the people and the children they met over there which is a reminder that it's about more than one administration's objectives or another's. It's just really sad.

lost in melb.
08-14-2021, 06:57 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think it was a mistake to leave. I'm not going to blame the US though. They have more than pulled their weight.

On a personal note I have a good friend in Australia with family over there. They've lost touch with several members. They might be okay, but there's no communications.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-15-2021, 02:12 PM
Good ol' Uncle Joe...we spend 20 years in Afghanistan and he ANNOUNCES to the Taliban that we're pulling out and now Kabul is about to fall. All that wasted time, money, and lives over those 20 years and the Taliban take the whole country back in about a week.

Way to go Joe! :tup:

deebakes
08-15-2021, 03:16 PM
really disappointing

lost in melb.
08-15-2021, 03:57 PM
..bah, forget it

RBP
08-15-2021, 06:02 PM
Good ol' Uncle Joe...we spend 20 years in Afghanistan and he ANNOUNCES to the Taliban that we're pulling out and now Kabul is about to fall. All that wasted time, money, and lives over those 20 years and the Taliban take the whole country back in about a week.

Way to go Joe! :tup:

Biden could have reversed it, but Trump brokered the May 1st deadline and called it a wonderful thing to do. Yes, this final withdrawal is Biden's horrible mismanagement, but the overall plan started with Trump.

perrhaps
08-16-2021, 09:37 AM
Biden could have reversed it, but Trump brokered the May 1st deadline and called it a wonderful thing to do. Yes, this final withdrawal is Biden's horrible mismanagement, but the overall plan started with Trump.

Trump also signed an agreement with the Taliban that led to 5,000 Taliban POWs being released by the Afghan government to resume fighting.

But, to blame this on either Trump or Biden ignores the fact that America fucked this up from day one. We ignored the old adage about quitting shoveling when you're in a hole. Bush should have done whatever was necessary to capture Bin laden, defoliated their poppy fields on an annual basis ,and just for the Hell of it, carpet-bombed Kabul and other major cities.

Can't undo the past, but we can still cripple their economy by defoliating the poppy fields.

Muddy
08-16-2021, 08:34 PM
I just listened to Biden's speech.. He made the right call.

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2021, 09:29 PM
I just listened to Biden's speech.. He made the right call.

He may have made the right call, but his execution of the pullout was a disaster.

Muddy
08-16-2021, 09:44 PM
He may have made the right call, but his execution of the pullout was a disaster.

It was.. He admitted it.. The strength of the massive Afghan army was over assumed. They totally pussed out when the heat was on.. Even some of the military leaders fled the country when things heated up..

lost in melb.
08-17-2021, 12:54 AM
The problem with post-analysis is we don't have the opportunity to see the alternatives play out.

For example, the following scenario: The US starts preparing the ground for all the Afghan Nationals (who are now in danger) to leave but more overtly, and much earlier. Many resist and want to stay to help build their Homeland they love but they are encouraged to leave. "No the Taliban maybe back in power and will persecute and possibly kill you!" This is broadly interpreted as a lack of faith that the Afghan military will hold positions against the Taliban and creates mass panic and exodus. An enormous refugee crisis ensues as anyone and everyone that doesn't like the Taliban tries to flee the country. The Afghan military and government collapses much earlier, with much greater chaos.

That's just one potential example. I think the fact us observers here over the Atlantic and Pacific didn't really know what was going on and why could be a good thing. The non-transparency of some aspects of the withdrawal allowed for the cleanest rip of the Band-Aid for what was going to be potentially even more unsatisfactory and catastrophic scenarios.

The Monk
08-17-2021, 04:11 AM
The finger pointing over the fall of Afghanistan between President Biden and former President Trump is in full swing amid the chaotic scramble to get U.S. personnel and allies out of the country before a full Taliban takeover.

Biden, who rarely mentions his predecessor, made a point of doing so in a weekend statement digging in on the U.S. withdrawal. Biden reminded Americans that the U.S. pullout was originally negotiated by the Trump administration and highlighted the former president's plans to invite Taliban leaders to Camp David around the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Trump, who just months ago suggested Biden was not getting out of Afghanistan fast enough, has led the charge among Republicans to hammer the Biden administration for its handling of the withdrawal. Trump went as far as calling on the president to resign in a Sunday statement.

The back-and-forth overshadows what experts and former government officials say is a messy situation that both leaders had a hand in creating.

“President Trump did the Biden administration no favors by making it very clear that he was going to remove U.S. troops and beginning a negotiation process which was driven by that imperative. He really let the Taliban set the tone and the direction of the talks,” said a former State Department official who served in the Trump administration and previous administrations.

“In many ways, what Trump starts, Biden is prepared to fulfill,” the official said.....

Whatever and whoever is responsible, the situation is utterly deplorable. A medieval regime running a country in the 21st century is wrong on so many levels.

From some of the images I have seen, the majority of those scambling to escape are males - women are in the minority for sure.

Muddy
08-17-2021, 02:00 PM
The problem with post-analysis is we don't have the opportunity to see the alternatives play out.

For example, the following scenario: The US starts preparing the ground for all the Afghan Nationals (who are now in danger) to leave but more overtly, and much earlier. Many resist and want to stay to help build their Homeland they love but they are encouraged to leave. "No the Taliban maybe back in power and will persecute and possibly kill you!" This is broadly interpreted as a lack of faith that the Afghan military will hold positions against the Taliban and creates mass panic and exodus. An enormous refugee crisis ensues as anyone and everyone that doesn't like the Taliban tries to flee the country. The Afghan military and government collapses much earlier, with much greater chaos.

That's just one potential example. I think the fact us observers here over the Atlantic and Pacific didn't really know what was going on and why could be a good thing. The non-transparency of some aspects of the withdrawal allowed for the cleanest rip of the Band-Aid for what was going to be potentially even more unsatisfactory and catastrophic scenarios.

It's all a crap shoot until you execute one of your plans.. In this case it apparently didn't work very well. I don't have any better plans.. Well I guess I could have one, but I have the gift of afterthought now.