PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Health denies Sydney woman's compassionate request

Teh One Who Knocks
08-10-2021, 12:11 PM
Julia Bradley, Melbourne Reporter - Sky News

https://i.imgur.com/2HUwbYw.png

Katarina Anderson, 62, applied for a compassionate exemption to travel to Melbourne more than three weeks ago.

Her daughter Georgie, 33, has been diagnosed with an advanced form of breast cancer. She began chemotherapy on July 29.

Ms Anderson is fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca and willing to pay for her own two week hotel quarantine.

She’s tested negative to COVID-19 four times since July 19.

"I believe I am the only solution to help my daughter and her family cope through this devastating set of circumstances", her request read.

On Friday, Ms Anderson's request was denied.

"I was devastated," she told Sky News Australia.

"It's the most frustrating thing. Having your daughter and the kids in that situation and I'm wanting to be emotionally, physically helpful and I'm sitting here waiting."

Georgie’s husband Kael Hudson, 33, says his wife needs her mother at this time.

"She had a bit of a breakdown on Friday night, when she got the news that her mum couldn’t come down, she had been really holding onto that… having that denied is hard to get your head around."

Her treatment has been gruelling so far and Mr Hudson is struggling with being in lockdown, working full time and trying to explain to their two children, 2 and 4, what is happening.

“We are in survival mode," he said. “It’s very difficult, it's completely new ground for us.”

On Georgie’s second day of treatment, she was taken to the emergency department because she was having heart pains. She then she stayed at hospital until 3 in the morning.

“Her hair will start falling out soon, with the second treatment, we need to manage that shock factor to the children but also for her that’s a real sort of loss of identity she needs to go through and not having her mother or see any friends or people outside of our household because of lockdown is really tough."

https://i.imgur.com/9XqraAZ.png

The family relocated to Melbourne from Sydney in September 2019 for Mr Hudson's work.

He says the family was given very little explanation as to why the request was denied.

"You see public cases of international people coming out for reality tv shows, or our leaders travelling overseas and coming back… I don’t understand how that system is working.”

Victoria’s Premier Daniel Andrews said the health department would review the case.

In a statement, a health department spokesperson said “exemptions are extremely limited and only granted in very special circumstances, such as in end-of-life situations or for emergency needs.”

“Public health officers assessing exemption requests for the purposes of providing care to someone will take into account whether there are already people providing that care.”

lost in melb.
08-10-2021, 12:37 PM
They may let her through yet.

The simple fact is we don't have enough people vaccinated in Victoria. We can't just open up or thousands will die. All it takes is one person with this Delta strain and we have a billion Dollar shutdown ( yet again)

Griffin
08-10-2021, 12:57 PM
I just have one question. How does a country that doesn't allow any outsiders in or movement of citizens within get the virus. :-k

lost in melb.
08-10-2021, 01:05 PM
I just have one question. How does a country that doesn't allow any outsiders in or movement of citizens within get the virus. :-k

I don't know. Is there a country that does that? :?

KevinD
08-11-2021, 01:40 PM
If Katarina is fully vexed, she can't get it, right? If she has multiple negative test results, she doesn't have it, right? Then why cant she travel. I'd like a real answer.

lost in melb.
08-11-2021, 01:54 PM
If Katarina is fully vexed, she can't get it, right? If she has multiple negative test results, she doesn't have it, right? Then why cant she travel. I'd like a real answer.

Because everything thinks they are the exception to the rule. You get 1000 people in quarantine and 3 have it and it gets out. Or people lie.

Once 70% population are vaxd, things will be easier. and vaxd peeps will have easier travel and reduced quarantine. If it gets out it's not so bad.

You have to understand the context here. We are sick and tired of people travelling into Victoria with Covid and spreading it. We beat Covid and have to shut down again. We protect the collective first here in Aus, different culture.