PDA

View Full Version : Virginia teacher resigns at school board meeting, denounces 'highly politicized agendas'

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2021, 10:31 AM
By Sam Dorman | Fox News

A Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) teacher in Virginia resigned in front of the school board Tuesday, stating in a defiant and emotional speech that she refused to continue pushing their "highly politicized agendas."

"Within the last year, I was in one of my so-called equity trainings that White, Christian, able-bodied females currently have the power in our schools and ‘this has to change,’" teacher Laura Morris said during the public comment period of the board meeting.

"Clearly, you've made your point. You no longer value me or many other teachers you've employed in this county. So since my contract outlines the power that you have over my employment in Loudoun County Public Schools, I thought it necessary to resign in front of you."
"School board, I quit," she said. Choking up, she added: "I quit your policies, I quit your training, and I quit being a cog in a machine that tells me to push highly politicized agendas to our most vulnerable constituents – children."

Morris, a fifth-grade teacher, also alleged that the county told her not to express dissenting views.

A spokesperson told Fox News: "LCPS does not comment on personnel matters." However, multiple teachers have told Fox News that they felt intimidated about potentially opposing the school's so-called equity trainings.

A spokesperson previously told Fox News that LCPS "has stated, consistently, that it does not condone the actions of employees – or anyone – who would target fellow members of the community for expressing their viewpoint."

Free-speech issues have become prominent in the county, where teacher Tanner Cross was suspended after refusing to "affirm that a biological boy can be a girl and vice versa."

Morris' comments touched on a number of simmering controversies within one of the nation's wealthiest school districts. Most notably, the school district has been embroiled in a longstanding controversy over the use of critical race theory (CRT).

While the county has denied teaching the controversial ideology, its officials have acknowledged CRT influences their work.

"In explaining LCPS' equity priorities, it might be helpful to state what they are not. They are not an effort to indoctrinate students and staff into a particular philosophy or theory. What they are is an effort to provide a welcoming, inclusive, affirming environment for all students," said then-Interim Superintendent Scott Ziegler.

"LCPS' work on equity is a journey that requires the commitment of staff at all levels. I feel the staff's work, which has been sustained, honest and undertaken in good faith, has been misrepresented recently by some members of the public," he added.

Ziegler found support among some teachers and parents while others have vehemently expressed their opposition in recent months.

Teacher Monica Gill, who spoke at Tuesday's meeting, previously told Fox News that CRT had damaged the community by creating division.

She said that teachers were told to "disrupt and dismantle this systemic racism. And I can tell you, one thing that's for sure, it has been disruptive because there are parents who disagree with this ideology, there are teachers who disagree with it, there are students who disagree with it — and it is harmful."

Muddy
08-11-2021, 02:37 PM
Loudon county.. Here we go again...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2021, 03:10 PM
Loudon county.. Here we go again...

What is it with Loudon County? Seems like there's always a mess going on in that school system.

Muddy
08-11-2021, 03:12 PM
What is it with Loudon County? Seems like there's always a mess going on in that school system.

It's Northern Virginia which is notoriously progressive but some of their population dips into rural area... I think it's comical.. These school board meetings have been a shit show lately.. The main fire around here is mask policy.. People are tripping at the public attended events.. :lol:

lost in melb.
08-11-2021, 03:12 PM
Since when have teachers had any choice but to teach what they're told to teach and do what they're told to do.

lost in melb.
08-11-2021, 03:13 PM
It's Northern Virginia which is notoriously progressive but some of their population dips into rural area...

Oil meets water. That explains it

Griffin
08-11-2021, 03:13 PM
Progressive means "sophisticated"

Griffin
08-11-2021, 03:14 PM
Since when have teachers had any choice but to teach what they're told to teach and do what they're told to do.

Settle down Karl.

lost in melb.
08-11-2021, 03:16 PM
Settle down Karl.

I've worked at schools long enough as a psychologist to hear the teacher's bitch every year about how the education system is changing stuff. It's always been that way and it always will be that way.

lost in melb.
08-11-2021, 03:17 PM
Mind you, teachers have my utmost sympathy. It's a shity job that is far more work than they are given credit for.

Muddy
08-11-2021, 03:24 PM
Progressive means "sophisticated"

Not in the context that I have used it.

lost in melb.
08-11-2021, 03:42 PM
I've worked at schools long enough as a psychologist to hear the teacher's bitch every year about how the education system is changing stuff. It's always been that way and it always will be that way.

While I'm here, I might as well finish my rant. We had to do the same kind of woke thing in mental health. So we just came up with a few posters and put them around the school. There were some curriculum changes as well. If I can Deidentify them I'll put up some pictures.

Ditto at University. If you read work emails you'd think the whole thing was taken over by communists, but it's just business as usual for the most part.

All this was top-down government mandated stuff about sexism identity, sexual harassment and race.

I know there are exceptions, but it's really not that hard to negotiate with a bit of common sense. I think these teachers complaining are as likely to be inflexible as they are likely to be principled. But I can understand how some couldn't stomach it. It sounds like some schools are pretty bad.

Griffin
08-11-2021, 04:18 PM
Free thinking used to be encouraged, but now we are just dictated to. If you speak out against them you will be sil

deebakes
08-13-2021, 05:04 PM
:(