PDA

View Full Version : China alters medal count to include Hong Kong, Taiwan to unofficially claim gold medal dominance over US

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2021, 10:04 AM
By Paulina Dedaj | Fox News

Team USA dominated the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, winning both the overall medal count and gold medal tally, but Chinese state media has altered those figures in a way to assert itself as the gold medal leader.

Images from the Chinese social media platform, Weibo, and China Central Television have circulated on Twitter this week showing an altered medal count that includes hardware taken home by Hong Kong and Taiwan, according to multiple reports.

The deceptive ploy improved China’s tally from 38 gold, 32 silver, and 18 bronze medals (88 overall) to 41, 37, and 27, respectively, for an overall count of 106 medals.
By comparison, the U.S. earned 39 gold, 41 silver, and 33 bronze for an overall medal count of 113.

Under the International Olympic Committee rules Hong Kong and Taiwan, referred to as Chinese Taipei, compete independently as National Olympic Committees (NOC).

According to The Taiwan News, some graphics even showed China leading with 42 gold medals by including a third territory Macau – despite it not being recognized by the IOC as a NOC.
China led the count 38-36 going into the final day of the Olympics but the Team USA added three more to finish on top.

The Chinese government has taken aim at western media several times during the Olympics. Following the opening ceremony, the Chinese consulate in New York issued a statement that the decision by NBC not to include Taiwan or the South China Sea in the map displayed during the parade of athletes, "hurt the dignity and emotions of the Chinese people."

"Attempts to use the Olympic Games to play political ‘tricks’ and self-promotion to achieve ulterior motives will never succeed."

Then the Chinese embassy in Sri Lanka took aim at Reuters news agency for using an "ugly" photo of gold medalist Hou Zhihui in its Olympic coverage because of "politics and ideologies."

lost in melb.
08-16-2021, 11:01 AM
Well technically they own Hong Kong's raw asshole, so...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2021, 11:10 AM
Well technically they own Hong Kong's raw asshole, so...

But Hong Kong doesn't compete under the Chinese flag....

lost in melb.
08-16-2021, 01:17 PM
But Hong Kong doesn't compete under the Chinese flag....

What's the bet that doesn't last

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2021, 01:33 PM
Team USA dominated the 2020 Tokyo Olympics,"

Dominated is a bit of a stretch. We squeaked by China in the gold department on the final day and it could have easily gone the other way. And a bunch of the people who should have won gold for us just flat out choked. And I'm not just talking about Biles and the USWNST.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2021, 01:48 PM
Dominated is a bit of a stretch. We squeaked by China in the gold department on the final day and it could have easily gone the other way. And a bunch of the people who should have won gold for us just flat out choked. And I'm not just talking about Biles and the USWNST.

Maybe dominated was the wrong word to use, but considering that we have 1/4 of their population, they had a distinct advantage when it comes to the sheer amount of athletes to choose from.

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2021, 02:04 PM
Maybe dominated was the wrong word to use, but considering that we have 1/4 of their population, they had a distinct advantage when it comes to the sheer amount of athletes to choose from.

I don't know about all that. Maybe if they start engaging in a selective breeding program to get better athletes across the board... I mean if it was just us vs them, and other countries weren't involved, we would have dominated them. We just put out better athletes and that's just the way it is. How many sports were made in the West vs the East? I don't really think there's a massive development program for sports from childhood to adulthood in China (diving might be the exception). We Americans are born into sports and competition. And our athletes are generally just bigger.

Average height in China: 5' 4" or 5' 6" depending on which one you accept as "China"
Average height in USA: 5' 9"

That translates to a distinct advantage in sports for us.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2021, 05:10 PM
I don't know about all that. Maybe if they start engaging in a selective breeding program to get better athletes across the board... I mean if it was just us vs them, and other countries weren't involved, we would have dominated them. We just put out better athletes and that's just the way it is. How many sports were made in the West vs the East? I don't really think there's a massive development program for sports from childhood to adulthood in China (diving might be the exception). We Americans are born into sports and competition. And our athletes are generally just bigger.

Average height in China: 5' 4" or 5' 6" depending on which one you accept as "China"
Average height in USA: 5' 9"

That translates to a distinct advantage in sports for us.

:-k Not sure what the whole height thing has to do with anything. While in some things, sure, it's helpful, but in several events, being too tall and/or large is a detriment, not a benefit. :dunno:

And I do not doubt that the current Chinese are no different now than the Soviet Bloc countries were back during the Cold Wart where athletes were treated very differently and they were cultivating the "best of the best" to try and dominate the Olympics.

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2021, 05:12 PM
:-k Not sure what the whole height thing has to do with anything. While in some things, sure, it's helpful, but in several events, being too tall and/or large is a detriment, not a benefit. :dunno:

And I do not doubt that the current Chinese are no different now than the Soviet Bloc countries were back during the Cold Wart where athletes were treated very differently and they were cultivating the "best of the best" to try and dominate the Olympics.

Go play a game against Porky. You'll see. Midgets are easy to beat.

Muddy
08-17-2021, 08:12 PM
Cheatin' ass mtha fkas...!!