PDA

View Full Version : Do you regularly use a digital wallet?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2021, 10:28 AM
Do you still pull out your physical credit and/or debit card when paying for stuff at the store or do you use a digital wallet (GooglePay, ApplePay, SamsungPay, PayPal, etc) and use contactless payment methods? Even individual stores like Walmart have their own digital wallets (Walmart Pay) to pay at their particular store.

I've used them in the past here and there, but when I was trying them out, it was more fail than success. Either the payment terminal wouldn't connect or there was some other issue that caused me to have to break out the physical debit card, but that was years ago. Just added my debit card to GooglePay yesterday and am thinking about giving it a try again.

DemonGeminiX
08-27-2021, 11:40 AM
I just use my credit card. Or cash, preferably. I haven't bothered with the digital wallets. I suppose when it's absolutely necessary, I'll figure it out, but no one in my small town has given up physical cash, checks, or credit cards yet.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2021, 12:12 PM
I just use my credit card. Or cash, preferably. I haven't bothered with the digital wallets. I suppose when it's absolutely necessary, I'll figure it out, but no one in my small town has given up physical cash, checks, or credit cards yet.

I've actually found cash harder and harder to use, especially at self checkouts. There have been multiple times over the last month or so where multiple Walmarts has had all their self checkouts set to card only because they have had a lack of cash/coins to stock the machines to be able to give out change.

DemonGeminiX
08-27-2021, 12:15 PM
I've actually found cash harder and harder to use, especially at self checkouts. There have been multiple times over the last month or so where multiple Walmarts has had all their self checkouts set to card only because they have had a lack of cash/coins to stock the machines to be able to give out change.

So they're getting robbed a lot and were proactive about it?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2021, 12:20 PM
So they're getting robbed a lot and were proactive about it?

Cash shortage I guess. There are several stores with signs saying if you are going to pay in cash to please use exact change because they don't always have enough cash/coin to make change.

Godfather
08-30-2021, 04:52 AM
I use tap to pay for 95% of my purchases on Visa, and of probably 50/50 split between tap on my phone or just tapping my actual credit card. No rhyme or reason to why, both work for me. The only time I insert and use the chip is for larger purchases when it's required, or when I want to use my Amex because tap seems to rarely work on Amex.

What always strikes me as odd is in when I visit the US, a lot of restaurants don't bring around mobile machines to just pay at the table still. I get really weirded out when some kid takes my credit card, walks away and bring me back a physical receipt to fill out the tip by hand. Haven't seen that at a restaurant up here in years and I hate having my credit card taken out of sight.

deebakes
08-30-2021, 05:01 AM
guess i don't even think about it because that is the standard here gf, my credit card takes small walks away frequently (or at least used to) :lol: . when traveling internationally, i have noticed that they always bring the machine to the table (and card) not vice versa.

Godfather
08-30-2021, 05:12 AM
guess i don't even think about it because that is the standard here gf, my credit card takes small walks away frequently (or at least used to) :lol: . when traveling internationally, i have noticed that they always bring the machine to the table (and card) not vice versa.

Ya fair enough, it's always just struck me as odd that the US has the cutting edge of everything over Canada, except it seems with point of sale technology. Even tiny restaurants and stores here have mobile payment machines that accept tap and chip.

I remember only a few years back, and American asked me if we had debit/Interac cards yet. I'm thinking, interac? I've had one since I was a kid, probably 25 years!

Not hating, just a funny difference you notice when traveling.

Pony
08-30-2021, 09:10 AM
Ya fair enough, it's always just struck me as odd that the US has the cutting edge of everything over Canada, except it seems with point of sale technology. Even tiny restaurants and stores here have mobile payment machines that accept tap and chip.

I remember only a few years back, and American asked me if we had debit/Interac cards yet. I'm thinking, interac? I've had one since I was a kid, probably 25 years!

Yup, probably 90% take a stroll with your card here. Many of the new big chains do POS. Don't know what the cost is for those or if we're just resistant to change?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2021, 10:12 AM
I use tap to pay for 95% of my purchases on Visa, and of probably 50/50 split between tap on my phone or just tapping my actual credit card. No rhyme or reason to why, both work for me. The only time I insert and use the chip is for larger purchases when it's required, or when I want to use my Amex because tap seems to rarely work on Amex.

What always strikes me as odd is in when I visit the US, a lot of restaurants don't bring around mobile machines to just pay at the table still. I get really weirded out when some kid takes my credit card, walks away and bring me back a physical receipt to fill out the tip by hand. Haven't seen that at a restaurant up here in years and I hate having my credit card taken out of sight.

Which digital wallet do you use?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2021, 02:27 PM
Yup, probably 90% take a stroll with your card here. Many of the new big chains do POS. Don't know what the cost is for those or if we're just resistant to change?

I think a lot of it is cost, especially for smaller mom & pop type businesses. We take credit cards here and the cost of getting a POS machine was ridiculous, especially considering the small amount of cards that we do take on a monthly basis (most are all NET30 open accounts).

As for bigger companies, maybe it's still cost too because I'm not sure how the newer POS machines that allow contactless will integrate with their existing systems and it may mean that they need to overhaul their entire systems. That's just me guessing though as I do see a lot more businesses that have the contactless POS systems. Oddly enough though, at least here, Walmart doesn't seem to be contactless at their self-checkouts, but I will check for sure next time I'm in there. I remember back when I had Samsung Pay and was fooling around with using it as a digital wallet several years ago, it was a MAJOR pain in the ass to use at Walmart. You needed to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it to work. But that may have changed now.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-30-2021, 03:21 PM
I use google pay or a CC for 95% of purchases. I prefer not to deal with cash

KevinD
08-30-2021, 11:25 PM
Never have. Cash or debit. I don't own a credit card.

Godfather
08-31-2021, 03:01 AM
I really like credit card points, I've paid for some great trips with them. I know credit cards aren't for everyone but I feel like between either cash back or travel rewards, if you pay on time it's worth it.

A friend of mine is into 'churning'. It's like a part time job for him... he has a dozen or so credit cards between he and his wife at any time :lol: He finds all kinds of weird deals, incentives for new cards, and somewhat shady ways of doing things like buying gift cards at one store where he's getting massive bonus points, then selling them online basically at cost. It a huge time suck, but it's his hobby (he's an accountant so he nerds out on it, all while maintaining a perfect credit score) and he has paid for first class trips around the world twice a year with points for several years now.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2021, 10:20 AM

Which digital wallet do you use?

:tapfoot:

Noilly Pratt
08-31-2021, 05:45 PM

I have installed some Point Of Sale stuff and from what I understand Canada was one of the first test-beds for this. We got Debit cards long before most other places. I had a debit card in 1984 and my US and UK cousins were blown away by this.

But I think we are lagging behind with the digital wallet concept. I know my watch has Samsung Pay but I won't be able to use it most places yet because they haven't set it all up in Canada yet.

Godfather
09-01-2021, 04:56 AM
I have installed some Point Of Sale stuff and from what I understand Canada was one of the first test-beds for this. We got Debit cards long before most other places. I had a debit card in 1984 and my US and UK cousins were blown away by this.

But I think we are lagging behind with the digital wallet concept. I know my watch has Samsung Pay but I won't be able to use it most places yet because they haven't set it all up in Canada yet.

That's interesting. I would think it might help that our banking is largely handled by 3-4 major carriers nationally which probably makes things easier to streamline, as well as Interac is a Canadian company too eh?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2021, 11:09 AM
Used my debit card through GooglePay on my phone a couple of times over the weekend. Seems to be hit or miss where you can find stores that have the POS terminal that accepts contactless payments.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-07-2021, 03:47 PM
Used my debit card through GooglePay on my phone a couple of times over the weekend. Seems to be hit or miss where you can find stores that have the POS terminal that accepts contactless payments.

My experience is almost everyone does, the employee just doesn't know that they do :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-07-2021, 04:22 PM
My experience is almost everyone does, the employee just doesn't know that they do :lol:

I thought that unless it specifically says on the terminal or it has the symbol on the terminal:

https://i.imgur.com/NQPkdNJm.png

...then you had to use the chip reader.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-07-2021, 04:27 PM
Maybe, I ask a if they accept it (I seem to leave my wallet in the car more then my pocket) And they never seem to know, so I just try and it works more then not LOL

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2021, 10:29 AM
Maybe, I ask a if they accept it (I seem to leave my wallet in the car more then my pocket) And they never seem to know, so I just try and it works more then not LOL

I was at the self checkout at Walmart yesterday and I didn't see anywhere on their POS system where it said they accept mobile payments. They give you the option to use their own Walmart Pay in their app, but you need to scan the QR code on the screen from within the Walmart Pay section in the Walmart app. The only other choices on the screen are to use your card or cash and there was no mention of mobile payments or the symbol on the card reader.

Not sure if it is different at the regular checkout since you don't have the screen and everything like at self checkout, but somehow I doubt it.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2021, 10:57 AM
Okay, here's an honest question since I just started using Google Pay. Do you really not need to open the app to use Google Pay? I've been opening the app every time I've used it so far, but I saw something online that said you don't need to open the app to use your default payment method, you just need to unlock your phone.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2021, 11:56 AM
Okay, here's an honest question since I just started using Google Pay. Do you really not need to open the app to use Google Pay? I've been opening the app every time I've used it so far, but I saw something online that said you don't need to open the app to use your default payment method, you just need to unlock your phone.

Yup, all you need to do is unlock your phone and then you're good to go, no need to open the Pay app. :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
09-09-2021, 12:44 PM

Yup, all you need to do is unlock your phone and then you're good to go, no need to open the Pay app. :thumbsup:

:-k

Couldn't that be dangerous?

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2021, 01:27 PM
:-k

Couldn't that be dangerous?

How so? NFC transmissions has a theoretical maximum transmission distance of 20cm but from what I've read, effectively it's more like 10cm which is less than 4 inches and for it to really work you really need to be much closer than that even, hence why they call it Tap & Pay. Plus your phone would need to be unlocked for a transaction to process. And when I read up on Google Pay, for you to be able to even use it, you have to set your phone to time out and lock automatically for Google Pay to even work on your phone, just as a layer of security against someone getting close enough to your phone to try and initiate a stealth transaction.

DemonGeminiX
09-09-2021, 02:08 PM
How so? NFC transmissions has a theoretical maximum transmission distance of 20cm but from what I've read, effectively it's more like 10cm which is less than 4 inches and for it to really work you really need to be much closer than that even, hence why they call it Tap & Pay. Plus your phone would need to be unlocked for a transaction to process. And when I read up on Google Pay, for you to be able to even use it, you have to set your phone to lime out and lock automatically for Google Pay to even work on your phone, just as a layer of security against someone getting close enough to your phone to try and initiate a stealth transaction.

Alrighty. Fair enough.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2021, 02:23 PM
The few times I've used it so far, you pretty much need to touch your phone to the POS and wait a couple of seconds for the transaction to go through.

lost in melb.
09-10-2021, 06:41 AM

It's bizarre. I was just having a conversation yesterday I went to use Google pay and it didn't work. Apparently the program Samsung uses detects both the tap and the swipe mechanism. The guy said this is because they still swipe in America.

Still yet to find out why they don't tap much in the US.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-10-2021, 10:23 AM
It's bizarre. I was just having a conversation yesterday I went to use Google pay and it didn't work. Apparently the program Samsung uses detects both the tap and the swipe mechanism. The guy said this is because they still swipe in America.

Still yet to find out why they don't tap much in the US.

I haven't been anywhere that will allow you to swipe your card as a first choice any more. Every card I have has a chip, and if you have a chipped card, you have to use the chip reader or tap to pay. But, every chipped card isn't NFC enabled though here yet. Between the cards I have, it's about 50/50 (NFC capable). The only time you use the magnetic strip is if the chip reader fails, and it has to fail three times from my experience before the stripe reader will work. If you try and swipe the magnetic stripe first, the POS will tell you that you must use the chip reader.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-10-2021, 01:17 PM
It also doesn't help that the largest retailer in the United States doesn't accept Google Pay (or Samsung Pay or Apple Pay):

https://i.imgur.com/lU9OO8T.png

DemonGeminiX
09-10-2021, 01:19 PM
:nono:

They want your valuable data. Give them your valuable data, young man. Or else.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2021, 10:28 AM
:nono:

They want your valuable data. Give them your valuable data, young man. Or else.

:umno:

Walmart already has more than enough data on me I'm sure, they don't need any extra.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-13-2021, 04:50 PM
It also doesn't help that the largest retailer in the United States doesn't accept Google Pay (or Samsung Pay or Apple Pay):

https://i.imgur.com/lU9OO8T.png

Wow, thats crazy

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Wow, thats crazy

Yeah, I had no idea until I looked it up because last time I was at Walmart I looked everywhere on the self checkout and couldn't find anything about mobile payments. Hard to believe they just won't do it because you know if Walmart accepted it, it would be a huge push for people using it more.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-13-2021, 05:22 PM
They must make a killing selling the data to make that decision

Teh One Who Knocks
09-14-2021, 12:11 PM
They must make a killing selling the data to make that decision

I'm trying to figure out what 'extra' data they are getting from you by forcing you to use your physical card when you check out. I mean they can't use/sell your credit or debit card info, so what extra information are they getting? Your name and address from your card info to match against what you're buying I guess?

DemonGeminiX
09-14-2021, 01:01 PM
I'm trying to figure out what 'extra' data they are getting from you by forcing you to use your physical card when you check out. I mean they can't use/sell your credit or debit card info, so what extra information are they getting? Your name and address from your card info to match against what you're buying I guess?

Pretty much. Companies pay big dollars for data in analytical trends. Have you ever bought something online and then have seen ads that seem tailored to what you've purchased in the past? How do you think that happens?

PorkChopSandwiches
09-14-2021, 03:52 PM

You would think all the important info is in what you purchased, which they would still know and the digital wallet would not

Teh One Who Knocks
09-17-2021, 11:22 AM
Found another place that doesn't accept mobile payments. King Soopers, which is part of the Kroger family of grocery stores doesn't take Google, Apple, or Samsung Pay. They have their own mobile payment thing like Walmart does that uses a QR code and not tap and pay methods.

Pony
09-17-2021, 12:48 PM
FucKing Soopers!! Thinking they can muscle their way in!

WTF is a King Soopers? Never heard of it.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-17-2021, 12:57 PM
FucKing Soopers!! Thinking they can muscle their way in!

WTF is a King Soopers? Never heard of it.

Grocery Store....belongs to the Kroger family of stores, they have different brands depending on what part of the country it's based in.

https://i.imgur.com/8k4r7rt.png

Pony
09-17-2021, 01:56 PM
Kroger and Food 4 Less are the only two that are familiar. I think Food 4 Less is down south.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-17-2021, 02:43 PM
Out of that list, I believe that Fry's is an electronics store and Fred Meyer is a jewelry store. I think the rest are all food stores. And I think Ralph's is a west coast chain. Not sure about the rest.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-17-2021, 07:42 PM
Just left Home Depot, didn't take Google Pay either.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-18-2021, 06:12 PM
Had to go to the local pet supply store and get food today and such. Used Google Pay and for the first time I had to use my PIN? Haven't had that happen before. Is there an amount threshold where if you go over a certain amount you need to use your PIN?

Up to this point using it, I've never spent more than $100 at one time, this trip for dog stuff was just over $300, so was that it? Or is it up to the individual merchant?

Godfather
09-18-2021, 06:18 PM
Had to go to the local pet supply store and get food today and such. Used Google Pay and for the first time I had to use my PIN? Haven't had that happen before. Is there an amount threshold where if you go over a certain amount you need to use your PIN?

Up to this point using it, I've never spent more than $100 at one time, this trip for dog stuff was just over $300, so was that it? Or is it up to the individual merchant?

That's odd - so you tried to tap, and then it told you to insert your card and use the pin for your chip? Or you just tapped and it needed a pin? I've never had the latter happen.

From what I hear, it's up to each store to decide their max limit they'll accept for tap as it's obviously more vulnerable to fraud. Some stores I've been able to tap for purchases even over $100, other stores I've had to insert my card and use pin for payments for purchases as low as $25-50. It seems to me that in the last few years, the limits you can tap for are increasing.

Never had the tap-pin combo though! Interesting.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-18-2021, 06:32 PM
It accepted the tap to pay using my phone, but after it was accepted, the POS prompted me for my PIN.

Godfather
09-18-2021, 07:19 PM
Weird! That's a new one for sure.

DemonGeminiX
09-19-2021, 10:19 AM
It accepted the tap to pay using my phone, but after it was accepted, the POS prompted me for my PIN.

Keep a close eye on your purchases and balances, just in case.

Godfather
09-20-2021, 07:26 AM
Have you guys ever had your credit cards compromised?

We've only had it once, and I was blown away by Visa/my bank. We were legitimately in Hawaii, we'd been to Walmart to stock up, and made all sorts of random purchases around town. But our Visa was stolen via a Pearl Harbor tour company website, and someone went and spent at Walmart and bought a flight from the Hawaiian island we were on to another island. Somehow, some way, Visa correctly flagged that as suspicious (even though on paper to us it seemed like totally plausible spending), shut our Visa off and called us right away. I'm still impressed by that one.

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2021, 07:51 AM

We've only had it once, and I was blown away by Visa/my bank. We were legitimately in Hawaii, we'd been to Walmart to stock up, and made all sorts of random purchases around town. But our Visa was stolen via a Pearl Harbor tour company website, and someone went and spent at Walmart and bought a flight from the Hawaiian island we were on to another island. Somehow, some way, Visa correctly flagged that as suspicious (even though on paper to us it seemed like totally plausible spending), shut our Visa off and called us right away. I'm still impressed by that one.

My credit card information was stolen twice. I believe it was at a gas station where I swiped at the pump. Probably had a card reader attached and I didn't notice it. Anyway, the first time, I started getting random purchases (kids toys and junk) showing up at the house and I had no idea where they were coming from, so I called Visa and they took care of it. I sent the purchases back and Visa issued me a new card. The second time, a purchase showed up from a supplement company for a very expensive supplement, and I called the company and told them I didn't order this, sent the junk back and they refunded me. Told Visa about it and they issued me a new card.

My credit card has a 0% customer liability policy for stuff like this, but it's a massive inconvenience. You have to wait for several weeks before the new card shows up, and you're just stuck without it. I stopped using my credit card at gas stations. I just pay in cash now. I thought about using a loadable prepaid card, but I never got around to getting one. Cash works fine.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2021, 11:36 AM

Personal card once, company card multiple times, mostly from using them online. Company card is an AmEx and they have always correctly flagged fraudulent transactions as soon as they happen. Usually have the replacement card the next day after confirming the fraud. With my personal card, the card company didn't flag any of the charges but I noticed them when I got my statement. Had to call and dispute the charges and it got taken care of finally. This was quite awhile ago with my personal card, so maybe their fraud detection has gotten better since then.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2021, 11:37 AM
Keep a close eye on your purchases and balances, just in case.

I'm not super worried about that purchase. When using Google Pay, it generates a random card number to be used for each transaction, so the merchant has no exposure to your actual card information.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2021, 02:15 PM
What a pain in the ass. Got my new phone last Friday and set it up over the weekend. Got it pretty much where I want it now, but now I have to call my bank to re-authorize my card to be used in Google Pay? :wha: What should that matter that I have a new phone? It's the same card and it's the same Google account. So fucking stupid. :x

PorkChopSandwiches
10-28-2021, 03:12 PM
I havent had that issue, but I only use CC, I dont use my debt card for much

Teh One Who Knocks
10-29-2021, 11:16 AM
I havent had that issue, but I only use CC, I dont use my debt card for much

I had to re-add the credit cards that I had in the wallet too. The only one I had to actually call to re-authorize was my debit card, most likely because the credit union I bank with is small and local.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-29-2021, 11:17 AM

This happens at Sprouts grocery store too, I have to input my PIN when I use my phone. Must be something set up be individual merchants.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2022, 03:40 PM
Well, now I see what Walmart is tracking through their checkout system. If you have an online Walmart.com account and have used a credit/debit card with them that's saved in their system for future list, they match that up against the physical card used at checkout at their stores in person. I've used my debit card online at Walmart.com for stuff I've had to order, and it's the same card I use when I pay at the store. Now if I log in to my Walmart account and look at past orders, not only does it show the stuff I've ordered to have shipped to me, it now shows ALL my purchases made at the grocery store as well.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2022, 04:41 PM
They have been tracking it all along anyway, now they are just letting you see it

Muddy
03-17-2022, 12:51 PM
Ham wallet