PDA

View Full Version : Harvard’s new chaplain is an atheist — and ‘Good Without God’

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2021, 11:01 AM
By Hannah Frishberg - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/h7aLRp5l.jpg

This spiritual leader doesn’t need a higher power.

Harvard University’s organization of chaplains is getting a new president to coordinate the campus’ Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and assorted other religious communities. Only the new president, 44-year-old Greg Epstein, does not identify with any of those traditional religions himself.

He is an atheist.

Despite his disbelief in any higher power, Harvard chaplains felt Epstein — author of the book “Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe” — was a good choice for the position due to young people’s increasing lack of religiosity.

“There is a rising group of people who no longer identify with any religious tradition but still experience a real need for conversation and support around what it means to be a good human and live an ethical life,” Epstein, who grew up in a Jewish home, told the New York Times in an interview published Thursday.

“We don’t look to a god for answers,” he added. “We are each other’s answers.”

Harvard’s liberal values and desire to prioritize engagement over tradition make Epstein a great fit for the job, many insiders feel. Indeed, his election was unanimous.

https://i.imgur.com/5AdmvoOl.jpg

“Maybe in a more conservative university climate there might be a question like ‘What the heck are they doing at Harvard, having a humanist be the president of the chaplains?’ ” Margit Hammerstrom, Harvard’s Christian Science chaplain, told the Times. “But in this environment it works. Greg is known for wanting to keep lines of communication open between different faiths.”

At a time defined by a strained, “war”-like identity culture for many college-age individuals, Epstein’s focus on collaboration is more relevant than one of simply maintaining the status quo of worship, students said.

https://i.imgur.com/gVk4g1Rl.jpg

“Greg’s leadership isn’t about theology,” 20-year-old electrical engineering student Charlotte Nickerson told the Times. “It’s about cooperation between people of different faiths and bringing together people who wouldn’t normally consider themselves religious.”

DemonGeminiX
08-27-2021, 12:05 PM
I bet he fucks disabled poodles.

lost in melb.
08-28-2021, 02:51 AM
Sounds like it's working. He's a neutral arbiter

DemonGeminiX
08-28-2021, 04:11 AM
Call me old school, but back in the day, people of different faiths didn't need an arbiter. They just talked to each other... and then talked shit about their beliefs behind their back. I guess it's cool. If a religious group wants to host an event on campus for whatever reason and they and another group can't see eye to eye on time and place and purpose. But really, is being an Atheist really that big of a deal to coordinate such things? It's seems they're inflating the importance of this guy being an Atheist when it's a job that any professional should be able to do. Is he qualified to do the job and does he complete the tasks competently? It shouldn't matter what his religion is (and yes, being an avowed Atheist is a religion in and of itself... regardless of what Porky says).

I bet he shaves the disabled poodles bald first.

DemonGeminiX
08-28-2021, 04:35 AM
And just as an aside, federal employment laws forbid employers from hiring or not hiring on the basis of religion to begin with. So if Harvard hired this guy for this position solely because he was an Atheist, then Harvard broke the law and somebody should take them to task over it.