PDA

View Full Version : Gold Star families blast Biden for checking watch during ceremony for fallen

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2021, 12:42 PM
By Samuel Chamberlain and Callie Patteson - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/kNY4VEw.png

Family members of the US Marines killed in last week’s suicide terror attack at the Kabul airport are slamming President Joe Biden for his behavior at the dignified transfer ceremony over the weekend — with one Gold Star father accusing the commander-in-chief of “the most disrespectful thing I’ve ever seen,” as he repeatedly looked at his watch during the ceremony.

Darin Hoover, the father of Marine Staff Sgt. Taylor Hoover, told Fox News’ Sean Hannity that Biden checked the time every single time a flag-draped coffin was removed from the hold of the Air Force C-17 Globemaster plane during Sunday’s ceremony at Dover Air Force Base in the president’s home state of Delaware.

“They would release the salute and he looked down at his watch on every last one,” Hoover said. “All 13, he looked down at his watch.”

Mark Schmitz — whose 20-year-old son, Marine Lance Cpl. Jared Schmitz, died in the attack — corroborated Hoover’s story.

“I actually leaned into my son’s mother’s ear and I said, ‘I swear to God, if he checks his watch one more time …’,” Schmitz recalled, “and that was only probably four times in. I couldn’t look at him anymore after that, just considering, especially, the time and why we were there. I found it to be the most disrespectful thing I’ve ever seen.”

Schmitz recounted to the Washington Post an outburst that occurred towards the end of the ceremony, where one woman allegedly shouted at Biden, “I hope you burn in hell! That was my brother!”

Schmitz added that his family’s own meeting with Biden prior to the ceremony “didn’t go well.”

“He talked a bit more about his own son [Beau Biden] then he did my son,” Schmitz said, “and that didn’t sit well with me.”

“When he just kept talking about his son so much it was just — my interest was lost in that. I was more focused on my own son than what happened with him and his son,” Schmitz said. “I’m not trying to insult the president, but it just didn’t seem that appropriate to spend that much time on his own son.”

During the meeting, Schmitz reportedly took out a photo of his son to show to the president.

“I said, ‘Don’t you ever forget that name. Don’t you ever forget that face. Don’t you ever forget the names of the other 12,’” he said. “‘And take some time to learn their stories.’”

Biden reportedly offered a blunt response saying, “I do know their stories.”

Hoover said he and his family declined to meet with Biden.

“We said, ‘Absolutely not.’ We didn’t want to deal with him,” he said. “We didn’t want – we didn’t want him anywhere near us. We as a family decided that was the way it was going to be.”

The Aug. 26 attack outside the Abbey Gate of Hamid Karzai International Airport killed 13 US service members — 11 Marines, a Navy corpsman and an Army soldier — and 169 Afghans. It was one of the final catastrophes visited upon the effort to evacuate Americans and their allies from Afghanistan — which concluded Monday with hundreds of Americans being left behind, along with thousands of Afghans who aided US-led forces during their two-decade military operation in that country.

Some family members of the fallen have criticized Biden in the days since the attack. Steve Nikoui told The Daily Beast that the president had “turned his back” on Nikoui’s son Kareem, another Marine who died at the airport.

https://i.imgur.com/mxjArty.png

On the same day, Schmitz told St. Louis radio station KMOX to “be afraid of our leadership, or lack thereof. Pray every day for the soldiers that are putting their lives at risk and doing what they love, which is protecting all of us. I think they’re the only ones that we can honestly say have our backs.”

The family of 20-year-old Marine Rylee McCollum expressed the most anger toward the president, with his mother Kathy calling Biden “a dementia-ridden piece of crap who doesn’t even know he’s in the White House” in a radio interview. Meanwhile, McCollum’s sister Roice claimed the president showed “total disregard to the loss of our Marine” when he spoke with the family at Dover.

https://i.imgur.com/ZYTufR9.png

“You can’t f— up as bad as he did and say you’re sorry,” Roice told The Washington Post. “This did not need to happen, and every life is on his hands, the thousands of Afghans who will suffer and be tortured is a direct result of his incompetence.” Roice McCollum added that Biden checked his watch while speaking with her brother’s widow.

Roice revealed that while her father and sisters joined Rylee’s widow, Jiennah, on the trip to Dover, only Jiennah met with Biden.

She said that Jiennah felt the brief conversation was a “total disregard to the loss of our Marine — our brother, son, husband, and father,” calling Biden’s comments scripted and shallow.

At the White House Monday, press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters Biden “was grateful to be there with the families yesterday and to honor both the heroic service and the incredible sacrifice of their sons and daughters.”

“While his son did not lose his life directly in combat, as they did, or directly at the hands of a terrorist … he knows … firsthand that there’s nothing you can say, nothing you can convey to ease the pain and to ease what all these families are going through,” Psaki added. “But he was honored to be there yesterday and to be able to spend some time with the families.”

DemonGeminiX
08-31-2021, 01:50 PM
Asshole

Muddy
08-31-2021, 02:21 PM
Oh for Christs sake. The guys just curious what time it is. He probably has an extremely hectic schedule.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2021, 02:29 PM
Oh for Christs sake. The guys just curious what time it is. He probably has an extremely hectic schedule.

He can set his DVR to watch Matlock later :hand:

Muddy
08-31-2021, 02:33 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-31-2021, 04:59 PM

In between what? Naps?

deebakes
08-31-2021, 09:31 PM
should have just checked his flip phone, that would have been less obvious

Pony
09-01-2021, 12:01 AM
Cut the guy a break! It's not a watch, it's a mini teleprompter.

deebakes
09-01-2021, 01:46 AM
*look remorseful

lost in melb.
09-02-2021, 05:58 AM
https://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-biden-honored-members-180612827.html

Footage leading up to the moment shows Biden with his hand over his heart for about 30 seconds as vans carry the service members' remains off the tarmac. After the vans had left, Biden closes his eyes briefly before dropping his arms and glancing down at his watch.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?514338-1/president-biden-pays-respect-us-service-members-killed-afghanistan

Teh One Who Knocks
09-02-2021, 11:46 AM
https://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-biden-honored-members-180612827.html

Footage leading up to the moment shows Biden with his hand over his heart for about 30 seconds as vans carry the service members' remains off the tarmac. After the vans had left, Biden closes his eyes briefly before dropping his arms and glancing down at his watch.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?514338-1/president-biden-pays-respect-us-service-members-killed-afghanistan

:roll:

Are you a paid apologist for Biden or something? So Yahoo is right and these family members that were actually there are lying? Yeah, okay. :rolleyes:

Family members of the US Marines killed in last week’s suicide terror attack at the Kabul airport are slamming President Joe Biden for his behavior at the dignified transfer ceremony over the weekend — with one Gold Star father accusing the commander-in-chief of “the most disrespectful thing I’ve ever seen,” as he repeatedly looked at his watch during the ceremony.

Darin Hoover, the father of Marine Staff Sgt. Taylor Hoover, told Fox News’ Sean Hannity that Biden checked the time every single time a flag-draped coffin was removed from the hold of the Air Force C-17 Globemaster plane during Sunday’s ceremony at Dover Air Force Base in the president’s home state of Delaware.

“They would release the salute and he looked down at his watch on every last one,” Hoover said. “All 13, he looked down at his watch.”

Mark Schmitz — whose 20-year-old son, Marine Lance Cpl. Jared Schmitz, died in the attack — corroborated Hoover’s story.

“I actually leaned into my son’s mother’s ear and I said, ‘I swear to God, if he checks his watch one more time …’,” Schmitz recalled, “and that was only probably four times in. I couldn’t look at him anymore after that, just considering, especially, the time and why we were there. I found it to be the most disrespectful thing I’ve ever seen.”

lost in melb.
09-02-2021, 12:15 PM
It's ill behooves me to criticize the Gold Star family members.

lost in melb.
09-02-2021, 12:26 PM
By Samuel Chamberlain and Callie Patteson - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/kNY4VEw.png

Here we go. You do clearly see him glance at his wrist.

https://twitter.com/NickFondacaro/status/1432046273666895875

Muddy
09-02-2021, 08:16 PM
Wapners at 4, give him a break...

Teh One Who Knocks
09-03-2021, 02:45 PM
By Joseph A. Wulfsohn | Fox News

USA Today was forced to issue a correction on a so-called "fact check" looking into the backlash President Biden received for looking at his watch during a dignified transfer ceremony in honor of the 13 U.S. service members who were killed in a terrorist attack outside the Kabul airport.

Daniel Funke, whose Twitter bio says he is "checking facts + covering misinfo" for USA Today, authored a fact check on Wednesday examining whether or not Biden actually kept checking the time on his wrist as the caskets of the fallen were rolled onto the tarmac at Dover Air Force Base last weekend, sparking outrage among the families who witnessed the distracted president.

"[Biden] did appear to check his watch during his visit to Dover Air Force Base. But he did so after the dignified transfer ceremony was over," Funke wrote. "Footage leading up to the moment shows Biden with his hand over his heart for about 30 seconds as vans carry the service members' remains off the tarmac. After the vans had left, Biden closes his eyes briefly before dropping his arms and glancing down at his watch."

The fact check ruled the claim "partly false," writing that the image of Biden that circulated on social media was real but that it does not "accurately summarize" what occurred.

Critics blasted USA Today for suggesting that the Gold Star families who alleged they saw Biden check his watch multiple times during the dignified transfer ceremony had lied.

The next day, USA Today issued a correction.

"Corrections & Clarifications: This story was updated Sept. 2 to note that Biden checked his watch multiple times at the dignified transfer event, including during the ceremony itself," the correction read at the top of the report on Thursday. "The rating on this claim has been changed from partly false to missing context."

The headline also changed from "Fact check: Biden honored service members killed in Kabul, checked his watch only after ceremony" to "Fact check: Biden honored service members killed in Kabul, checked his watch during ceremony."

Griffin
09-03-2021, 02:53 PM
:shock: someone does fact check the factcheckers. say it ain't so joe

Teh One Who Knocks
09-03-2021, 02:59 PM
:shock: someone does fact check the factcheckers. say it ain't so joe

Only because someone forced the issue and told the USA Today that calling Gold Star family members liars isn't a good look.

Pony
09-03-2021, 02:59 PM
What context is missing? And is "Missing Context" only applied to Democrats?

Also, it's easy to quietly post a "correction" after all the other news outlets have already run with your story, how many other news outlets and people in general will see the correction? They (liberals) will continue to believe that he only did it after the ceremony and any other fact to the contrary is just right wing conspiracy. Playing the same game they did for 4 years.....

Muddy
09-03-2021, 03:14 PM
I'm confused.

deebakes
09-03-2021, 10:19 PM
check your watch like uncle joe