PDA

View Full Version : Nipah virus: Fears brain-swelling condition with no cure will start next global pandemic

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2021, 10:53 AM
By Ethan Blackshaw & Sam Elliott-Gibbs - The Daily Star

https://i.imgur.com/eVhhq3C.jpg

The race is on to contain an outbreak of the Nipah virus after a young Indian boy was killed by the illness that causes vomiting, seizures and brain swelling.

According to the World Heath Organisation, Nipah's mortality rate ranges between 40 and 75% compared to Covid's 1%.

Since February there have been concerns that it could cause the next worldwide pandemic, heightened by the fact that Nipah has a very high rate of mutation, reports the Mirror.

“The virus has been shown to spread from person-to-person in these outbreaks, raising concerns about the potential for NiV to cause a global pandemic,” the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

Officials in India's Kerala state are concerned after the 12-rear-old died at the weekend, prompting efforts to trace his contacts with new infections already confirmed.

According to reports, the boy had visited two other hospitals before he died, meaning he potentially came close to hundreds of people.

State health minister Veena George said: “That these eight immediate contacts tested negative is a great relief.”

https://i.imgur.com/1e4o6s3.jpg

The fruit bat-borne disease, which first jumped from pigs to farmers in Malaysia in 1999, causes vomiting, seizures and brain swelling. It also has an incubation period of up to 45 days, meaning a person could spread it for more than a month before falling sick.

There is no cure or vaccine for Nipah yet. Patients are only given supportive medical care.

https://i.imgur.com/t9DBaeU.jpg

Dr Melanie Saville, head of vaccine research and development at the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations, told The Sun earlier this year that we need to be ready for "the big one", and that it was "extremely likely" another outbreak will happen in the future.

She said: "Nipah is one of the viruses that could absolutely be the cause of a new pandemic. Several things about Nipah are very concerning.

"Most crucially, we shouldn't just be looking at Nipah.

"We know that a future pandemic is inevitable, and there are many other emerging infectious diseases that are recognised as having pandemic potential."

Due to its dangerous potential, Nipah has reportedly been listed as one of 16 priority pathogens that need to be researched by the World Health Organisation.

Muddy
09-09-2021, 01:43 PM
Well One things for certain... Grif wont take a vaccination for it.. :lol:

Griffin
09-09-2021, 02:35 PM
I'm not anti vax, just the current one that Gates has been pushing for over a decade. ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2021, 02:38 PM
Well One things for certain... Grif wont take a vaccination for it.. :lol:

Not much you can do if you contract this thing....

According to the World Heath Organisation, Nipah's mortality rate ranges between 40 and 75% compared to Covid's 1%.

There is no cure or vaccine for Nipah yet. Patients are only given supportive medical care.

deebakes
09-10-2021, 02:07 AM
:rip: earth

lost in melb.
09-10-2021, 06:20 AM
It's okay. We've got handling pandemics down to a fine art :ok:

DemonGeminiX
09-10-2021, 07:13 AM
It's okay. We've got handling pandemics down to a fine art :ok:

It's just too bad that it gets in the way of that "living life to the fullest" thing.

lost in melb.
09-10-2021, 07:16 AM
In case you missed it I was talking about the entire world and /sarcasm implied

DemonGeminiX
09-10-2021, 07:26 AM
In case you missed it I was talking about the entire world and /sarcasm implied

:nono:

You didn't use the [/sarcasm] tag.

lost in melb.
09-10-2021, 07:32 AM
I thought ":ok:" covered me :nono:

Muddy
09-10-2021, 01:58 PM
I'm not anti vax, just the current one that Gates has been pushing for over a decade. ;)

Bill Gates is actually Dr. Evil.

Griffin
09-10-2021, 02:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVpSaISXYAAOPxj.jpg

lost in melb.
09-10-2021, 02:32 PM
Bill Gates is actually Dr. Evil.

He has lost all cred.

Muddy
09-10-2021, 03:20 PM
He has lost all cred.

Gates has?

lost in melb.
09-10-2021, 03:55 PM
Gates has?

Much of it. The innocent nerd image is destroyed.

Muddy
09-10-2021, 06:09 PM
Much of it. The innocent nerd image is destroyed.

Because of his charity work?

deebakes
09-10-2021, 09:49 PM
because of his pervie-ness

lost in melb.
09-11-2021, 02:46 AM
Because of his charity work?

All forgotten in the light of #metoo

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2021, 06:26 AM
:-k

Did Fauci use our taxpayer dollars to fund this one too?