PDA

View Full Version : Tampa teens suspended from city jobs for "disrespectful" comments at celebrity event

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2011, 09:08 PM
By Eric P. Newcomer, St Petersburg Times Staff Writer

http://i.imgur.com/HoDEC.jpg

TAMPA — Two teenagers have been suspended from their city jobs for a week because of comments they made at a panel discussion that included baseball superstar Derek Jeter.

The panel, which also included an NFL wide receiver, a mayor and an author-activist, spoke last week to about 250 teenagers from across the nation, dishing out advice about leadership and success. It was part of a camp run by the Turn 2 Foundation created by the Yankee shortstop.

Hillsborough High senior Gabriel Gunn was one of the teens suspended by Keep Tampa Beautiful, a nonprofit organization that funds their summer jobs with the city. The organization said his remarks were "inappropriate'' and "disrespectful.''

Gunn, 17, introduced himself to the celebrity panel during a question-and-answer session by saying, "Hey everyone, I'm G Money."

Turn 2 Foundation president Sharlee Jeter, Derek Jeter's sister, asked Gunn for his "government name," which he provided.

The teen, who wore black Nike Air Force 1s and red sunglasses pushed up on his head, told the panel that if he became extremely wealthy he would be "wilding out" with the money.

"When you guys get big, how do you stay humble?" he asked.

His question attracted some laughter from the audience and received a number of responses from panelists.

"We've had the fortunate opportunity to have people to help us, to keep us from being stupid," said panelist Kalamazoo, Mich., Mayor Bobby Hopewell.

The Green Bay Packers' Greg Jennings told Gunn to lose his "Flavor Flav" attitude, referring to outlandish behavior associated with the rap and TV personality.

Gunn stood listening to the panelists even as his chaperone urged him to return to his seat.

His remarks were enough to persuade Keep Tampa Beautiful to suspend him without pay for a week. The teen works 32 hours a week doing lawn work and other tasks for minimum wage.

That did not please his mother.

"I don't feel like it was warranted for my son to be suspended," said Sonia Gunn.

Also suspended was a Tampa 17-year-old who prefaced a question about remaining calm with a comment directed at Jennings. He said he lost $50 because of Jennings' strong performance in last year's Super Bowl.

"They were very disrespectful," said Debra Evenson, the program's executive director, who said the teens are being reprimanded because of their behavior.

"It's all about teaching the kids," she said.

Sharlee Jeter declined through a spokesman to comment on how she felt about the behavior.

"The Turn 2 foundation does not play any role in any disciplinary action deemed necessary by another organization. Overall, we are extremely happy with the success of our leadership conference," she said in the statement.

One recent graduate of Keep Tampa Beautiful's program for disadvantaged youth also attended the conference. He said the comments were inappropriate.

"We're working for the city of Tampa and we have to present ourselves in a professional manner," said Divonte Carswell, 18.

But he doesn't think the suspension for Gunn was merited.

"I don't really think they should have suspended him — just make sure he knew it was very inappropriate," he said.

AntZ
07-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Call me an "old fogey", but I don't respect anything less then normal English spoken to me. The whole "rap nigga", stoner, or Chicano homeboy delivery always pisses me off. My father would never allow anything less then proper English spoken at home or out of the house. I certainly benefited from that later in my professional life.

This mother is more offended by the punishment then the spectacle her son made of himself! Then they can't understand why their kids have no future, it must be racism! :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Call me an "old fogey", but I don't respect anything less then normal English spoken to me. The whole "rap nigga", stoner, or Chicano homeboy delivery always pisses me off. My father would never allow anything less then proper English spoken at home or out of the house. I certainly benefited from that later in my professional life.

This mother is more offended by the punishment then the spectacle her son made of himself! Then they can't understand why their kids have no future, it must be racism! :roll:

:+1:

deebakes
07-26-2011, 10:34 PM
fo' sho'...

Hal-9000
07-26-2011, 11:07 PM
word! (s)