PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Sinema confronted by immigration activists in a bathroom

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2021, 11:28 AM
By Michael Lee | Fox News

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema was confronted by immigration activists who followed the senator from the classroom where she teaches at Arizona State University to the bathroom while demanding the Arizona Democrat take action on a "pathway to citizenship."

"We knocked on doors for you to get you elected. Just how we got you elected, we can get you out of office if you don't support what you promised us," one of the activists said to Sinema in the video that was recorded with a phone.

The activists first confronted Sinema at her ASU classroom, then followed her down the hall as the senator went into the bathroom and shut the door of a stall. Nevertheless, the activists continued to voice their demands from inside the bathroom, including a demand that she support President Biden's "Build Back Better" agenda and legislation that would provide a pathway to citizenship for illegal migrants.
"We need the Build Back Better plan right now," one activist said.

"I was brought here to the United States when I was three years old and in 2010 my grandparents both got deported because of S.B. 1070," another activist said. "And I'm here because I definitely believe that we need a pathway to citizenship."

Sinema did not engage in a discussion with the activists in the video footage, instead ignoring the group as she exited the stall and washed her hands.

Florida GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz weighed in on the video, sharing it to social media with the caption "#DeportBlanca."
The video comes on the same day another group of activists confronted Sen. Joe Manchin at his houseboat in Washington, D.C., demanding the West Virginia Democrat drop his opposition to his party's $3.5 trillion spending bill.

Both Sinema and Manchin have expressed opposition to the legislation, dealing a blow to Democrats who cannot afford a single defection in the evenly split Senate.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-04-2021, 03:39 PM
:hand: Bye

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2021, 10:15 AM
By Jon Brown | Fox News

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., was confronted at an airport and on an airplane by people who demanded to know why she is refusing to support a pathway to citizenship or vote for President Biden's "Build Back Better" agenda.

In video that emerged Monday, Sinema was approached by Green New Deal Network chief of staff Kunoor Ojha and a small group of others at Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C.

"Hi, Senator Sinema? I want to ask if you can explain to the American people what you're planning on cutting from Joe Biden's ‘Build Back Better’ plan?" Ojha asked while Sinema attempted to have a phone conversation.

"Do you want to cut climate priorities? Is it elder care that you want to cut, or is it child care?" she continued.

Other people chimed in to ask Sinema about various issues until the questions became indiscernible.
While Sinema was on the plane, a Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipient named Karina went up to the senator to ask her if she would commit to a pathway to citizenship for immigrants.

"Can you commit to that, senator?" Karina asked, later adding, "I don't want to disturb you, but at the same time, I just want to know if I can get a commitment from you, senator."

Sinema did not engage at length in either exchange and mostly sought to ignore the questioners.
The incidents at the airport come on the heels of footage that circulated Sunday depicting immigration activists following Sinema from the classroom where she teaches at Arizona State University to the bathroom. The activists demanded she support a "pathway to citizenship" while the Arizona Democrat was in the stall and later emerged to wash her hands.

Sinema and her colleague Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., have both been recently accosted by protesters for not supporting Biden's $3.5 trillion spending bill.

Manchin was approached by protesters in kayaks while on his houseboat in Washington, D.C., over the weekend.

"Senator, this is an investment," one kayaker yelled. "This is not giving out money. This is not spending. This is building the state that we both love!"

Biden addressed the confrontations against the two senators Monday, revealing that neither of them have Secret Service protection.

"I don’t think they’re appropriate tactics, but it happens to everybody," Biden said.

"The only people it doesn’t happen to are the people who have Secret Service standing around them," Biden added. "So, it’s part of the process."

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2021, 10:25 AM
Can you imagine if conservative or republican activists had done something like this to AOC? There would be calls to have them rounded up and publicly shot and AOC would be on Instagram live crying and telling everyone how she 'almost died' and was afraid for her life.

lost in melb.
10-05-2021, 10:40 AM
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/philboas/2021/10/01/sen-kyrsten-sinema-may-biggest-radical-congress-budget-infrastructure/5948740001/

perrhaps
10-05-2021, 10:41 AM
Leaving the politics aside, does anybody here have any problem with each and every member of Congress being publicly confronted several times a day about their continually prioritizing reelection over the good of the country?

lost in melb.
10-05-2021, 10:45 AM
It's a good point. We know they're all in the pocket, probably with the single exception of boring old Bernie.

My answer is yes and no. It might be good to shake them all up a bit, but it's not the way forward ultimately.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2021, 10:46 AM
Leaving the politics aside, does anybody here have any problem with each and every member of Congress being publicly confronted several times a day about their continually prioritizing reelection over the good of the country?

When it comes to following them into the bathroom and recording it? And having a guy in the women's bathroom too while it's going on? Yes, I have an issue with that, regardless of who it is.

perrhaps
10-05-2021, 10:53 AM
Agreed that the bathroom bullshit is way out-of-bounds, but i have no problem with non-violent and non-threatening public confrontation and/or condemnation of members of Congress.

deebakes
10-05-2021, 01:23 PM
i'm sure these politicians are able to tune out everything being said to them when confronted though, so it seems like a waste of effort :2cents:

lost in melb.
10-05-2021, 01:25 PM
i'm sure these politicians are able to tune out everything being said to them when confronted though, so it seems like a waste of effort :2cents:

Sad, but true. They are tough as nails.