PDA

View Full Version : Joe Rogan Goes After Pete Buttigieg for Taking Paternity Leave: ‘Isn’t That Supposed To Be For The Person Who Gave Birth?’

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2021, 01:58 PM
By Leia Idliby - Mediaite

https://i.imgur.com/Da1cHZHl.jpg

Joe Rogan has weighed in on the debate regarding Pete Buttigieg’s paternity leave.

“Isn’t that supposed to be for the person who gave birth?” Rogan asked his guest Bridget Phetasy on Tuesday’s edition of his podcast. “Do men take paternity leave?”

To answer Rogan’s question, paternity leave, which refers to the leave that is exclusively granted to the fathers, is taken by men but is only mandated in five states — New York, California, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Washington state, plus Washington, D.C.

The topic was brought up while discussing the shipping delays and other issues largely caused by port congestion in California, as Buttigieg is President Joe Biden’s Secretary of Transportation.

“It definitely feels like a cluster fuck,” Phetasy said of the port crisis, prompting Rogan to note that people are blaming Buttigieg for taking paternity leave.

Phetasy was not convinced that those pointing fingers are Buttigieg were not doing so due to partisan reasons.

“But it is kind of crazy,” Rogan said, adding, “It is.”

Phetasy went on to hit at Buttigieg and his husband Chasten for taking a picture of themselves with their newborn in a hospital bed, noting that neither of them gave birth.

Rogan then argued that only one parent should take care of the children after their birth, adding, “This idea that both parents should get maternity and paternity leave at the same time is a little weird.”

Phetasy pushed back, pointing to her cousin in Germany, where both parents are given significant leave once their child is born.

“That’s great. You wanna live in Germany? Because in America you gotta work,” Rogan argued, claiming those working in small businesses could not have that luxury.

Rogan went on to point to the benefits of hiring men, as they do not bear children, clarifying that he does not agree with the notion after Phetasy also noted that some men are capable of giving birth.

Rogan also explained that while he thinks fathers should play a role in raising children, he does not think they need to take paternity leave.

“It’s not just about the baby, the mom needs support in the aftermath of giving birth. It’s not just to bond with the kid,” Phetasy said, adding, “It feels like we don’t have to same social cohesion and family structures that we used to have.”

She went on to explain that extended families used to live closer to each other, allowing a larger group of people to help a mother care for their child during maternity leave. Now that people live in cities and are more dispersed, mothers still need support.

“We’re not in Europe, this is better. This is America,” Rogan said later. “We’re not in Europe, and for America, this is a new concept … When someone in government, who is a man, who didn’t give birth, and there is two of them, and they both are off work and they get free money or what happens?”

Muddy
10-28-2021, 02:07 PM
Quit being a fuck head, Joe. Not in America, Brother.. The trend has turned into co-parenting.. The childs rearing has become equal responsibility of both parents regardless of who shat it out.. The time off from work has very little to do with the medical procedure that is involved.

Griffin
10-28-2021, 02:22 PM
The time off from work has very little to do with the medical procedure that is involved.

Sure it does.
The entire concept is to help the mother out while she is recovering. Neither of those men need help recovering from anything.

Muddy
10-28-2021, 02:53 PM
Sure it does.
The entire concept is to help the mother out while she is recovering. Neither of those men need help recovering from anything.

Bullshit. The entire concept is not just to help your little barefoot and pregnant sandwich maker recover so she can get to rearin' your kids. Welcome to 2021.. 1950 was 70 years ago and it's never coming back.

Griffin
10-28-2021, 03:07 PM
:uhhuh:

Muddy
10-28-2021, 03:11 PM
Nice retort.

Griffin
10-28-2021, 03:27 PM
Buttigieg and his husband are just taking advantage of a liberal left policy. As soon as the novelty wears off the kids will be getting their diapers changed at a day care and picked up by a nanny. They'll eventually end up in a private school where their parents might let them come home on holidays. Then they'll become teens with an attitude disrespecting their parents at every opportunity.

...is that 2021 enough for you?

Muddy
10-28-2021, 03:37 PM
Buttigieg and his husband are just taking advantage of a liberal left policy. As soon as the novelty wears off the kids will be getting their diapers changed at a day care and picked up by a nanny. They'll eventually end up in a private school where their parents might let them come home on holidays. Then they'll become teens with an attitude disrespecting their parents at every opportunity.

...is that 2021 enough for you?

Possibly in Bootygigs situation because I'm sure they are both wealthy (nannies and daycare).. But in a normal household when a new born arrives it's a huge and major adjustment for the entire house and when both partners are at the house to assist in this transition it's much more manageable.. I thought you had kids and would have understood how they wake up every 2-4 hours and need constant attention. Where were you at during those times? Sleeping, getting ready for a hard day down at the rock quarry with Fred?

KevinD
10-28-2021, 03:38 PM
I partook of my company's paternity leave when my daughter was born. I took a week off to help care for the baby, and my wife who had a bit of a rough time with childbirth. Two gay guys, neither one of which gave birth, should not both get paternity leave. I could almost wrap my head around one doing so, as a newborn is a big adjustment.

Griffin
10-28-2021, 04:19 PM
A whole week! That's a far cry from the 2 months Butthead wasn't doing his job.

I thought you had kids and would have understood how they wake up every 2-4 hours and need constant attention. Where were you at during those times? Sleeping, getting ready for a hard day down at the rock quarry with Fred?

A week after my first was born the wife got a blood clot in her leg and was back in the hospital for another week. So yeah it was just me taking care of the new born.
As the second one was on the way, the docs were like "Holy Fuck, You're on coumadin! We have no idea what that's doing to the baby." So they switched to heparin and when the baby came she and the baby got to spend an extra week in the hospital so I was taking care of the 13 month old by myself again.
When the daughter came she was 6 weeks early, so the wife came home and the baby stayed until her weight got above 5 pounds. Then spent the next eight months wearing a heart monitor. Being awakened in the middle of the night with a screaming baby ain't shit compared to being awakened by a screaming monitor.
When she had to spend a week at the children's hospital 50 miles away I was spending the night there (because 1 parent had to be there with her 24/7) and being relieved by the wife in the morning so I could go to work then back to relieve her so that she could get back to the other 2.

So yeah, I think I might have a clue.

Muddy
10-28-2021, 04:36 PM
A whole week! That's a far cry from the 2 months Butthead wasn't doing his job.

A week after my first was born the wife got a blood clot in her leg and was back in the hospital for another week. So yeah it was just me taking care of the new born.
As the second one was on the way, the docs were like "Holy Fuck, You're on coumadin! We have no idea what that's doing to the baby." So they switched to heparin and when the baby came she and the baby got to spend an extra week in the hospital so I was taking care of the 13 month old by myself again.
When the daughter came she was 6 weeks early, so the wife came home and the baby stayed until her weight got above 5 pounds. Then spent the next eight months wearing a heart monitor. Being awakened in the middle of the night with a screaming baby ain't shit compared to being awakened by a screaming monitor.
When she had to spend a week at the children's hospital 50 miles away I was spending the night there (because 1 parent had to be there with her 24/7) and being relieved by the wife in the morning so I could go to work then back to relieve her so that she could get back to the other 2.

So yeah, I think I might have a clue.

So then you agree that the two months for both parents makes sense and can greatly assist and that there is far more involved than just the birthing process.

Griffin
10-28-2021, 04:40 PM
Nope, Those 2 nancies just need to man up.

Godfather
11-01-2021, 05:03 AM
Up here you can get 15 weeks of maternity leave while pregnant, but then there is an additional 35 weeks of parental leave at 55% pay that you can chose to split between both parents however you want. Or you can extend it to up to 61 weeks (so 76 total including maternity) at 33% pay.

I think it's great... most dads I know only took a week or two to let mom stay home with the kids longer, but we have some friends where the mom is the breadwinner and goes back to work before the dad. I don't see why it matters whether you pumped out the kid or not beyond the first few weeks of recovery... It's the baby we're benefiting too, and I figure the more time they spend with their own parent the better it is for them and the family. It's not affordable anymore in most cities to have a stay home parent (my best friend is going to be paying $1800/m for daycare when his wife goes back to work), so a few months of protected leave for either parent seems like the minimum we can ask for.

lost in melb.
11-01-2021, 06:19 AM
Possibly in Bootygigs situation because I'm sure they are both wealthy (nannies and daycare).. But in a normal household when a new born arrives it's a huge and major adjustment for the entire house and when both partners are at the house to assist in this transition it's much more manageable.. I thought you had kids and would have understood how they wake up every 2-4 hours and need constant attention. Where were you at during those times? Sleeping, getting ready for a hard day down at the rock quarry with Fred?

My brother had a baby 3 weeks ago and that's exactly what's happening. They'll take turns in shifts, day and night, him with the bottle, her with the breast. It's still a pretty good deal for him, because she has to also put up with all the hormonal & physical adjustments and pain after birth (as well as working from home). I think it would be pretty horrendous if she had that entire burden.