PDA

View Full Version : Woman goes to ER and receives no treatment, still billed for $700

Teh One Who Knocks
11-01-2021, 12:16 PM
The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/F7wQUuhl.jpg

ATLANTA (AP) — A Georgia woman who left an emergency room after waiting for hours without seeing a doctor said she walked away with her injury untreated and a $700 charge simply for showing up.

Taylor Davis told WAGA-TV she went to the Emory Decatur Hospital emergency room in July for a head injury and decided to leave after no end in sight to her seven-hour wait for care.

A couple of weeks later, a surprise arrived in her mailbox: a $700 bill from the hospital.

"I didn't get my vitals taken. Nobody called my name. I wasn't seen at all," Davis said.

She was convinced it was a mistake, but was told it was an emergency room visit fee. An email sent to Davis by an Emory Healthcare patient financial services employee says: "You get charged before you are seen. Not for being seen."

Davis said she's reluctant to go to an emergency room now if she needs care.

Emory Healthcare told the TV station in a statement that it was "looking into this matter and will follow up directly with the individual."

DemonGeminiX
11-01-2021, 01:23 PM
Par for the course now. I'm a capitalist by nature, but we need to get the financial people out of the medical industry. They're operating unchecked and ruining everything in medicine. It's ridiculous.

Griffin
11-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Big pharma owns insurance who in turn own hospitals, been that way for decades.

(now pharma owns our freedoms)

deebakes
11-02-2021, 01:12 AM
:(

Godfather
11-02-2021, 05:11 AM
She was convinced it was a mistake, but was told it was an emergency room visit fee. An email sent to Davis by an Emory Healthcare patient financial services employee says: "You get charged before you are seen. Not for being seen."

What is this, Disneyland, you pay just to walk in the gates?! :lol: Insane.

perrhaps
11-02-2021, 10:01 AM
What is this, Disneyland, you pay just to walk in the gates?! :lol: Insane.

Except Disneyland has signage telling you the price of admission.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2021, 10:05 AM
This has to be the policy of the hospital or healthcare service that runs the hospital. I've never had to pay anything BEFORE I get seen.

Except Disneyland has signage telling you the price of admission.

I know exactly what my minimum charge is going to be, the co-pay for everything is listed right on my insurance card. :dunno: