PDA

View Full Version : Republican Glenn Youngkin shocks McAuliffe to win Va. governorship

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2021, 10:05 AM
By Samuel Chamberlain - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/nxPZyRe.jpg

Republican Glenn Youngkin pulled off an upset for the ages Tuesday night, defeating Democrat Terry McAuliffe in Virginia’s gubernatorial election, a result that sent a political shockwave across America ahead of next year’s midterm elections.

In his victory speech, delivered before a roaring crowd shortly after 1 a.m., Youngkin called his win a “defining moment” and promised to “change the trajectory of this commonwealth.”

“On day one, we’re going to work,” Youngkin vowed. “We’re going to restore excellence in our schools … We’re going to embrace our parents, not ignore them.”

As Youngkin spoke, President Biden was descending the steps of Air Force One after returning to the US from Europe and landing in a very different political reality.

With 99 percent of the expected vote in, Youngkin had 50.7 percent of the vote compared to 48.6 percent for McAuliffe, a margin of approximately 67,000 votes out of nearly 3.3 million ballots cast.

https://i.imgur.com/pg7YfgOl.jpg

Republicans also had narrow leads in the races for Virginia’s two other statewide offices. Businesswoman and former Virginia House of Delegates member Winsome Sears the first black woman to win statewide office if she defeats Democratic House of Delegates member Hala Ayala to become Virginia’s next lieutenant governor.

“I am at a loss for words for the first time in my life,” Sears, a former Marine, told the rapturous crowd shortly before Youngkin spoke.

https://i.imgur.com/SwNbBJ5l.jpg

In the Virginia attorney general’s race, Republican Jason Miyares, a descendant of Cuban exiles, led Democrat Mark Herring, who was seeking his third consecutive term in that office. Miyares would be the first Hispanic person to hold statewide office in Virginia.

An exultant Republican National Committee statement proclaimed: “The red wave is here!”

“This Republican sweep in Virginia is a resounding rebuke of the failed policies of Joe Biden and the Democrats,” the RNC said Virginians – and Americans across the country – are fed up with Biden’s divisive policies, failed leadership, and a Democrat agenda hurting working families. A Republican wave is coming in 2022, and Virginia is just the start.”

Running against a former governor in a state President Biden carried by 10 percentage points last year, Youngkin focused his campaign on winning back suburbanites alienated by former President Donald Trump.

He did that by keeping Trump at arm’s length throughout the race and hammering McAuliffe on local issues like the economy and education, advocating for more parental involvement in schools and vowing to ban the teaching of critical race theory in K-12 classrooms.

As a result, Youngkin ran up big margins in traditionally Republican areas in the south and west of the commonwealth and performed well enough in Northern Virginia’s Democratic-leaning DC suburbs to score a victory that seemed unlikely even two months earlier, when one poll of likely voters had him trailing McAuliffe by 9 percentage points.

“I would like to thank my BASE for coming out in force and voting for Glenn Youngkin,” Trump said in an emailed statement. “Without you, he would not have been close to winning. The MAGA movement is bigger and stronger than ever before. Glenn will be a great governor. Thank you to the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia and most particularly, to our incredible MAGA voters!”

https://i.imgur.com/SYXI7JMl.jpg

McAuliffe may have unwittingly given Youngkin a foothold in the race during a Sept. 28 debate, when the topic turned to parental objections to racially charged or sexually explicit school curriculum materials.

“I don’t think parents should be telling schools what they should teach,” the Democrat said, giving Youngkin an opening to accuse him of wanting to “suppress and silence” parents so schools could push a “radical political agenda” in classrooms.

Two other events in early October gave Youngkin the opportunity to press the issue. First, on Oct. 4, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced that the FBI would take the lead in investigating what he called “a disturbing spike in harassment, intimidation, and threats of violence against school administrators, board members, teachers, and staff.”

Days later, reports emerged that the public school district in wealthy Loudoun County had covered up the sexual assault of a female high school student earlier this year. The girl’s father was arrested when he tried to confront school board officials about the alleged attack, an incident that was cited as potential domestic terrorism in a letter from the National School Boards Association to Garland days before the Oct. 4 announcement.

“Terry McAuliffe has demonstrated that he cares more about his own career than he does for Virginians,” Youngkin told Fox News in an interview last week. “He wants to put government between parents and their children. If he doesn’t like the answer, then all of a sudden, the FBI comes in and tries to silence them.”

That message bore fruit in places like Loudoun County, where McAuliffe led Youngkin by 10 percentage points with most votes counted. By contrast, Democrat Ralph Northam defeated Republican Ed Gillespie by 20 percentage points in Loudoun County in the most recent gubernatorial election in 2017.

Despite education getting most of the press in the final weeks of the campaign, the Associated Press VoteCast survey showed more than a third of voters (34 percent) chose the economy as the top issue. Approximately 17 percent said COVID-19 was the most important issue, while 14 percent chose education.

https://i.imgur.com/Pq4GXuGl.jpg

However, voters who ranked the economy and education as the top issues were more likely to back Youngkin, who campaigned on a promise to cut taxes and regulations.

“My fellow Virginians, this is our moment,” Youngkin said early Wednesday. “It’s our moment for parents, for grandparents, for aunts, for uncles, for neighbors to change the future of Virginia’s children’s lives.

“To change their Virginia journey. It’s our time to turn that vision into a reality. It’s a vision where Virginians’ power, the power that has historically resided in the marbled halls in Richmond, is spread out.”

“My fellow Virginians, this is our moment,” Youngkin said early Wednesday. “It’s our moment for parents, for grandparents, for aunts, for uncles, for neighbors to change the future of Virginia’s children’s lives.

“To change their Virginia journey. It’s our time to turn that vision into a reality. It’s a vision where Virginians’ power, the power that has historically resided in the marbled halls in Richmond, is spread out.”

Both candidates had said the implications of the election would be felt well beyond Virginia.

At one of his final events of the campaign, McAuliffe insisted “the stakes are huge.” Youngkin said the election would send a “statement that will be heard across this country.”

Vice President Kamala Harris delivered an even more explicit warning at a McAuliffe rally last week, telling supporters that “what happens in Virginia will in large part determine what happens in 2022, 2024 and on.”

After Tuesday night’s result, Democrats will be hoping she was wrong.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2021, 10:07 AM
By Brian Flood | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/7QXSJ3R.png

A common theme emerged on social media Tuesday night as Virginia Republican gubernatorial candidate Glenn Youngkin took a clear advantage over Democrat Terry McAuliffe: MSNBC hosts had public meltdowns that made for must-see TV among conservatives.

Rachel Maddow, Joy Reid and Nicolle Wallace had a hard time holding back their feelings and Twitter noticed. The liberal hosts spent much of the night making excuses and blaming Youngkin’s success on backlash to critical race theory, which they claim doesn’t exist. The outspoken, right-leaning crowd that typically wouldn’t dare admit to watching the far-left network couldn’t help themselves on Election Night.

"MSNBC is currently going through the 7 stages of grief on an endless loop in real time," radio host Buck Sexton tweeted. "It’s great, highly recommend."

"If you want to give yourself a treat, turn on MSNBC," Ann Coulter tweeted as results began to favor Republicans in key races.

National Review critic Kyle Smith declared, "Every conservative I know is watching MSNBC."

Pundit Stephen L. Miller joked, "It's early yet but MSNBC is pulling a bit ahead in the election meltdown. Still waiting for returns from some of CNN's more loyal viewers and the late night returns but Joy Reid looks to be pulling away early. Still too close to call though."

Meghan McCain added, "MSNBC is on nothing short of an emotional journey to Narnia tonight."

While conservatives don’t typically watch the liberal network, MSNBC brass will presumably take the additional viewers. MSNBC finished October with its lowest-rated month among the advertiser-coveted demographic of adults age 25-54 since October 2015. It was also MSNBC’s worst month among the demo during the primetime hours of 8-11 p.m. since December 2015.

Conservatives might have briefly helped the struggling network attract viewers, but they didn’t exactly like what they saw from MSNBC.

"MSNBC’s election night co-hosts made it clear that they were pessimistic about their chances as they instead continued to lie about gubernatorial candidate Glenn Youngkin, his voters, and Republicans writ large by calling them ‘dangerous’ human beings ‘to our national security’ and racists ‘in fleece’ peddling ‘lies’ about critical race theory," NewsBusters managing editor Curtis Houck wrote.

Houck shared several clips of MSNBC hosts throughout the night including the moment the left-wing network bailed on gubernatorial races to show Eric Adam’s New York City mayor victory speech.

"That's how you know it's been a really bad night for liberals," Houck wrote.

Houck also shared a clip of Wallace claiming Youngkin’s success is "built on lies" and noted the network didn't seem to care about women of color winning key races.

"All of the people on MSNBC convincing themselves that all of these VA voters — who voted for Biden a year ago! — are idiots, racists, and/or dupes is pretty wild," The Dispatch editor-in-chief Jonah Goldberg wrote.

Journalist Ian Miles Cheong is hopeful that he’ll be able to enjoy all the reactions from liberal pundits that he might have missed in real-time.

"I hope someone makes a compilation of the MSNBC and CNN meltdowns going on right now over Youngkin's victory," he wrote.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2021, 01:47 PM
The Daily Wire Staff

https://i.imgur.com/YXUwhLgl.jpg

Virginia Lt. Governor-elect Winsome Sears, a Republican, praised the opportunities afforded to her by the U.S. when she came to the country at just six years old as an immigrant from Jamaica, saying that she was living “the American dream.”

Sears, a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps., won her election on Tuesday evening to become the first black woman elected to a statewide office in Virginia.

“I am at a loss for words for the first time in my life,” Sears said. ” So, I’m here because of you. I’m here because you voted for me, I’m here because you put your trust in me. That’s the only reason I’m here. Thank you.”

“I say to you, there are some who want to divide us and we must not let that happen,” she said. “They would like us to believe we are back in 1963, when my father came. We can live wherever we want, we can eat where we want, we own the water fountains. We have had a black president elected not once but twice and here I am living proof. In case you haven’t noticed, I am black and I have been black all my life.”

“But that’s not what this is about, what we are going to do is we are going to now be about the business of the Commonwealth,” she continued. “We have things to attend to, we are going to fully fund our historically black colleges and universities. You’re gonna hear from your governor-elect Glenn Younkin. And he’s got a day one plan that I’m already tired about, I don’t know how we’re gonna make it to day two. But he’s going to make sure we keep more of our money in our pockets because he’s going to get rid of all kinds of taxes. We’re gonna have safer neighborhoods, safer communities, and our children are going to get a good education because education lifted my father out of poverty, education lifted me out of poverty, education will lift us all out of poverty because we must have marketable skills so that our children can not just survive, but they will thrive, and they recreate generational wealth. That’s what this is about.”

She concluded by saying that “the cavalry has arrived” to help Virginians get the state turned around after being under Democrat-rule for years.

WATCH:

Muddy
11-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Hey, Winsome Sears is no joke either.. No one puts her in a box and tells her what she is supposed to be.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2021, 02:17 PM
GOP gets the Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, and it sounds like a 1 seat majority in the House of Delegates. Maybe Virginia isn't as blue as the democrats thought and the citizens are tied of the bullshit.

Muddy
11-03-2021, 02:23 PM
GOP gets the Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, and it sounds like a 1 seat majority in the House of Delegates. Maybe Virginia isn't as blue as the democrats thought and the citizens are tied of the bullshit.

Trumps childish antics caused a lot of damage to the moderate vote in this State.. The best thing Youngkin did is stay the f*ck away from Trump.. Still the Democratic campaign tried very hard to link the two though..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2021, 02:29 PM
Trumps childish antics caused a lot of damage to the moderate vote in this State.. The best thing Youngkin did is stay the f*ck away from Trump.. Still the Democratic campaign tried very hard to link the two though..

When Biden was there campaigning for McAuliffe, he mentioned Trump at least 3 dozen times trying to link Youngkin to Trump. It's the only thing the democrats have. Without Trump to be the boogeyman, they can't compete.

Muddy
11-03-2021, 02:32 PM
When Biden was there campaigning for McAuliffe, he mentioned Trump at least 3 dozen times trying to link Youngkin to Trump. It's the only thing the democrats have. Without Trump to be the boogeyman, they can't compete.

Exactly.. You should have seen the Obama commercials they were running here... Dude was unhinged..! :lol:

RBP
11-03-2021, 06:09 PM
Well done, VA.

Vagina is for Lovers.

Griffin
11-03-2021, 06:26 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/91/20/6c/91206ce319d91aae0b3afefe9baf9ebb--gary-larson-the-far-side.jpg

Muddy
11-03-2021, 06:56 PM
Well done, VA.

Vagina is for Lovers.

:nom: