PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco sees replacement glass shortage for victims of car break-ins: report

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2021, 10:20 AM
By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/QMCRRgul.jpg

Car owners in San Francisco who were victims of smash-and-grab car break-ins say it's been challenging to find replacement glass due to a shortage-- and when they do, they're hit with the price tag, according to a report published Tuesday.

Kevin Sarat-Guzman, the co-owner of MAZ Auto Glass in the City by the Bay, told CBS San Francisco that he has not experienced a glass shortage like the current one.

"We’ve seen low supply," but nothing like the current situation, he said. He said dealers don't have a projected timeline, "so we could be waiting weeks to months."

The station blamed supply chain issues for the shortage, which only compounds the problem amid the year’s surge in auto burglaries. The Los Angeles Times, citing police data, reported that break-ins have tracked downward in recent months. Police said theft form vehicles in top tourist spots jumped more than 750% percent from May 2020 to May 2021.

Police said extra patrols have been effective. Mayor London Breed also announced rewards of up to $100,000 for information that leads to the conviction of car thieves, the paper said.

Repair shops in the city have also been charging a premium for glass repairs, according to the CBS report.

"Normal glass repair is about 2 to $300," said Ten Phan, a food blogger in the city. "And then when I talked to the guy I was like: Why is it $900, does it really cost that much, and can you not get it done any sooner, and he was like, ‘No.’"

RBP
11-03-2021, 06:13 PM
I got my wife's windshield replaced last year. Even then the glass guy told me the supplies were tight, and the materials he had gotten from China were garbage. He started importing directly from Turkey, that was the only place he could get quality windshields.

Godfather
11-04-2021, 12:58 AM
At work when our Claims guys get quotes on repair jobs from contractors or repair shops, many of the vendors give them a 1-week window to take the quote or else it's no longer valid. That never used to be a thing at all, we'd take our time and consider several options with our clients but now it's take it or leave it. The supply shortages for home and auto repairs are that unpredictable that they don't know their costs from one week to the next.

RBP
11-05-2021, 06:05 AM
Hey G. Long time no chat. Hope you're well.

Godfather
11-05-2021, 07:22 AM
Hey bud, ya doing well, hope you're swell!