PDA

View Full Version : Stimulus checks were sent to billionaires and other ultra-rich Americans, investigation finds

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2021, 10:39 AM
Alix Martichoux, Nexstar Media Wire

https://i.imgur.com/2xbN5kK.jpg

At least 18 billionaires and 250 other ultra-wealthy Americans received stimulus checks from the CARES Act last year, an investigation by ProPublica found.

The stimulus checks were the cornerstone of the sweeping $2.2 trillion COVID-19 rescue package that was signed into law in March 2020 as the pandemic first began gripping the U.S. The funds were meant to help struggling Americans cope with virus-related closures that shut down entire sectors of the economy, leading to a staggering amount of job losses and pay cuts.

But ProPublica sifted through a trove of IRS records and found billionaires like Ira Rennert, CEO of Renco Group with an estimated net worth of $3.7 billion, was one stimulus check recipient. Investor and philanthropist George Soros (worth an estimated $8.6 billion) and his son Robert also both received CARES Act payments — though a spokesperson for the family told ProPublica they both returned their checks.

The billionaires were able to receive CARES Act assistance because qualifiers were pegged to income, not wealth. Any taxpayer who made less than $75,000 qualified for the full $1,200. Any married couple who earned less than $150,000 collectively received $2,400.

So despite being some of the richest people on the planet, billionaires could technically still qualify for the pandemic assistance if they reported a loss in income on their taxes. ProPublica found the billionaires in question did exactly that.

Timothy Headington, for example, made $62 million in 2018, but wrote off $342 million in deductions, leaving him with a negative net income. Headington is an oil company executive and movie producer. Forbes estimates his net worth at $1.4 billion.

The passage of the CARES Act sent out a first round of direct payments to American taxpayers in April 2020. Those checks were followed by another round of payments in December 2020, and then a third round under the American Rescue Plan in 2021.

The IRS also started issuing monthly payments to families with children in July 2021 as an advance for the increased child tax credit.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2021, 10:40 AM
On the positive side, I didn't qualify for the third round of them because my income was too high. :tup:

deebakes
11-05-2021, 05:23 PM
stupid 1%ers :(

lost in melb.
11-05-2021, 11:22 PM
On the positive side, I didn't qualify for the third round of them because my income was too high. :tup:

:haha:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1Ik8VEZtYxj-9vaVn2-prXWlJ5NZUOK6ggQ&usqp=CAU

Godfather
11-06-2021, 03:52 AM
This is exactly why, when you see charts the purport to show the wealthy pay high taxes already, you have to be a critical. The contributions of the very wealthiest only show up on those charts under the top bracket if they actually report taxes conventionally... which we see time and again (https://www.propublica.org/article/the-secret-irs-files-trove-of-never-before-seen-records-reveal-how-the-wealthiest-avoid-income-tax)that the ultra rich do not [see numerous articles about guys like Bezos and Musk paying no taxes for years at a time].

I think that's why if people are serious about taxing the ultra rich, it's going to need to be something less conventional than pure income tax. Not for your friend the doctor making $500k, but the multi-billionaires who pay 3% true tax rates while those of us in the middle class pay 50%. And I don't believe for a second that it will stifle innovation anymore than I believe in trick-down economics.

perrhaps
11-06-2021, 09:18 AM
I've come to reluctantly agree that some sort of "net worth" tax should be imposed against the ultra-rich, but only if its only purpose and use of the proceeds are to pay down our national debt.

RBP
11-06-2021, 10:17 PM
This is exactly why, when you see charts the purport to show the wealthy pay high taxes already, you have to be a critical. The contributions of the very wealthiest only show up on those charts under the top bracket if they actually report taxes conventionally... which we see time and again (https://www.propublica.org/article/the-secret-irs-files-trove-of-never-before-seen-records-reveal-how-the-wealthiest-avoid-income-tax)that the ultra rich do not [see numerous articles about guys like Bezos and Musk paying no taxes for years at a time].

I think that's why if people are serious about taxing the ultra rich, it's going to need to be something less conventional than pure income tax. Not for your friend the doctor making $500k, but the multi-billionaires who pay 3% true tax rates while those of us in the middle class pay 50%. And I don't believe for a second that it will stifle innovation anymore than I believe in trick-down economics.

So your point, simplified, is that unrealized capital gains should be taxed. I disagree. That capital stays in the market precisely because it was not taxed until withdrawn. If the investment tanked the following year, are you going to refund the proportionate losses? Of course not. Their has to be value in risk. Absent that, less will be taken. And you don't believe that less venture capital will stifle innovation? Okay. Not sure I see that. Pareto applies here. 80% of returns come from 20% of venture investments.

Godfather
11-07-2021, 02:28 AM
So your point, simplified, is that unrealized capital gains should be taxed. I disagree. That capital stays in the market precisely because it was not taxed until withdrawn. If the investment tanked the following year, are you going to refund the proportionate losses? Of course not. Their has to be value in risk. Absent that, less will be taken. And you don't believe that less venture capital will stifle innovation? Okay. Not sure I see that. Pareto applies here. 80% of returns come from 20% of venture investments.

I didn't specifically mention taxing unrealized capital gain (there's more than one reasons these guys take $1 salaries), that's the hot idea of the day right now and I'm not 100% sure about it either, but there's something interesting about it. As mentioned in another thread, I already pay tax on unrealized gains. Property tax. I pay tax based on the government's assessed value of my home today, which is up 10% from what I paid. My parents pay tax on a house/land valued at over $1M they bought for under $300k. And if the housing market crashes, nobody is refunding them or I for prior years.

The middle class hold their wealth primarily in their homes, so property tax is a tax on unrealized gain of the largest asset most people ever own. Doesn't slow down the housing market to my knowledge. And the impact of property tax on the ultra rich like Bezos who owns $400m in real estate but $200bn in other assets is not equitable.

I'm talking about finding ways to raise Jeff's true tax rate from 3% to say 10% (spit-balling on that number), and mechanisms so he doesn't qualify for stimulus like his factory works.

I believe they'll still fund VC and take risk (lots of deductions there too, like you said 80% are losers) even if gains over certain hundreds of millions or billions are taxed.