PDA

View Full Version : Theodore Roosevelt statue at Museum of Natural History to be moved to North Dakota

Teh One Who Knocks
11-24-2021, 01:04 PM
By Yaron Steinbuch - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/9WHioSLl.jpg

A controversial statue of President Theodore Roosevelt that has stood in front of the American Museum of Natural History for over 80 years will be relocated to North Dakota.

The Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library Foundation, which is set to open in 2026, said in a statement that “it has entered into an agreement with the City of New York for the long-term loan and reconsideration of the Equestrian Statue designed by James Earle Fraser.”

The announcement comes five months after the New York City Public Design Commission voted unanimously to relocate the bronze effigy of the nation’s 26th president amid claims that it symbolizes colonial subjugation and racial discrimination.

The monument — which shows Roosevelt on horseback, flanked by an African man and a Native American man — has long been criticized for glorifying colonialism and racism. It was vandalized with paint in 2017.

“We are grateful to the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library for proposing a fitting new home for the Equestrian Statue,” Vicki Been, New York City’s deputy mayor for housing and economic development, said in the Friday statement.

“This long-term loan would allow an important part of the city’s art collection to be appropriately contextualized, and we look forward to continuing to work with the library on next steps,” she added.

The library agreed that the “statue is problematic in its composition. Moreover, its current location denies passersby consent and context.

“The agreement with the City allows the TR Library to relocate the statue for storage while considering a display that would enable it to serve as an important tool to study the nation’s past,” the statement added.

Edward O’Keefe, the library foundation’s CEO, said that “museums are supposed to do hard things. It is said that ‘those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it,’ and our job is to forthrightly examine history to understand the present and make a better future.”

https://i.imgur.com/O4fphyk.jpg

In the statement, presidential descendant Theodore Roosevelt V said that the “statue is problematic in its hierarchical depiction of its subjects and should be removed from New York State’s official memorial to Theodore Roosevelt.”

He added: “Rather than burying a troubling work of art, we ought to learn from it. It is fitting that the statue is being relocated to a place where its composition can be recontextualized to facilitate difficult, complex, and inclusive discussions.”

Ellen Futter, president of the American Museum of Natural History, said, “We anticipate that work to remove the Equestrian Statue, which will take several months, will begin later this fall.

https://i.imgur.com/OvAm30Sl.jpg

“We thank the Roosevelt family and the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library for their roles in facilitating this important work,” she added.

Opposition to the statue mounted in recent years, especially after the 2020 murder of George Floyd, a black man whose last breaths under the knee of a white Minneapolis police officer sparked a racial reckoning and a wave of protests across the US.

In June 2020, officials at the museum — which is privately run but sits on public land — proposed removing the statue amid nationwide protests over racial inequality and a push to remove public works honoring Confederate leaders.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-24-2021, 01:05 PM
The library agreed that the “statue is problematic in its composition. Moreover, its current location denies passersby consent and context.

You need to grant consent to walk past a fucking statue? :-s

:suicide:

Griffin
11-24-2021, 01:47 PM
has long been criticized for glorifying colonialism and racism

Looks to me like it symbolizes unity... something the woke crowd and the current administration could learn from.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-24-2021, 01:48 PM
No doubt that it will be replaced by a statue of George Floyd, because THAT is the type of person that people should look up to.

Griffin
11-24-2021, 01:52 PM
yeah they could put it in the corner with a crack pipe

deebakes
11-25-2021, 04:16 AM
putting it in north dakota is equivalent to scrapping it

Griffin
11-25-2021, 10:28 AM
At least it will be close to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Excellent park if you ever happen to be in the area.
A herd of buffalo wandered through as I was setting up in the campground. I just stood and watched as they walked by close enough to touch. The next morning there were wolf prints in the mud next to the camper. Seeing the wild horses is pretty cool also.

deebakes
11-26-2021, 08:03 PM
i joke as i'm from minnesota, been through north dakota a bunch :lol:

Griffin
11-26-2021, 08:14 PM
Ole and Sven grabbed their poles and headed out to do some ice fishing. As they were augering a hole in the ice they heard a loud voice from above say, "There are no fish under the ice."
Ole and Sven moved about 25 feet over and started to make another hole. The voice said a little stronger, "There are no fish under the ice."
They both looked around and then looked up. Ole said in a humble voice, "Are you God?"
The voice spoke back, "No ya idiots! I'm the ice rink attendant."

Griffin
11-26-2021, 08:20 PM
Ole was talking with his brother Sven, who lived next door, when Sven said, "Ya know Ole, you and Lena should really get some new curtains."
"Vy's dat?" Ole asked.
"Vel last night I saw you and Lena, vel you know..."
Ole thought for awhile, then said, "Ha-ha Sven, da yokes on you! I vasn't even home last night!"

Griffin
11-26-2021, 08:22 PM
Ole, Sven and Lars die in a tragic Lutefisk accident. They are met by God on the stairway to heaven. God says, "There are 3,000 steps to heaven. It's very serious up there. I'll tell you a joke on each 1,000th step you reach. If you laugh you go to hell."
So they start walking and reach to the first 1,000th step. God tells a joke, Lars laughs out loud and goes straight to hell.
Ole and Sven look at each other nervously. On the 2,000th step God tells another joke, Sven tries his best but laughs and goes to straight to hell.
On the 3,000th step God tells the last and best joke. Ole doesn't laugh and proceeds to the gate. Suddenly, Ole bursts out laughing hysterically. God asks, "What are you laughing about?".
Ole replies, "Oh dat's funny. I yust got da first yoke!"

deebakes
11-26-2021, 09:00 PM
ole jokes, that's a blast from the past

lost in melb.
11-27-2021, 09:58 AM
its current location denies passersby consent

:-k :suspect:

lost in melb.
11-27-2021, 09:59 AM
You need to grant consent to walk past a fucking statue? :-s

:suicide: