PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Yard: We've arrested LulzSec spokesman

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
The Associated Press

LONDON – Scotland Yard's cybercrime unit on Wednesday arrested a teenager it accuses of working as the spokesman for the Lulz Security hacking collective, the force said in a statement.

Scotland Yard said its Central e-Crime Unit arrested a 19-year-old at an address in Scotland's remote Shetland Islands. His name wasn't released, but the force said he used the online nickname "Topiary."

LulzSec, an offshoot of the amorphous hacking collective known as Anonymous, has claimed responsibility for a series of hacking attacks on both sides of the Atlantic. In interviews with media organizations including The Associated Press, Topiary described himself as one of LulzSec's six members.

Topiary's once-plentiful Twitter feed was practically wiped clean Wednesday. The only remaining post, from nearly a week ago, read: "You cannot arrest an idea."

Scotland Yard also said it was searching a residential address in Lincolnshire, in central England, and interviewing a 17-year-old under caution in connection with the investigation. The second teen has not been arrested.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Rnl7Orxdk

Hal-9000
07-27-2011, 06:21 PM
"You cannot arrest an idea."

Scotland Yard - 1
hackers - 0

Muddy
07-27-2011, 06:25 PM
:headshake:

Acid Trip
07-27-2011, 06:29 PM
There is nothing illegal about being a spokesman.

It's funny that they keep arresting 17-19 yr old kids when you KNOW that the real hackers are much older and much more experienced. These kids are being served up as cannon fodder. The arrests won't slow down Lulz or Anonymous at all.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
They used to call me a hacker, now they just call me cracker

Muddy
07-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Crackkkkkkahhh!!!!!! *points*

http://takimag.com/images/uploads/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-78.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2011, 06:44 PM
"You cannot arrest an idea."

Scotland Yard - 1
hackers - 0

I hope that idea keeps you company in prison :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/grillz-by-dwrek/cracker_ass_cracker.jpg

Hal-9000
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
There is nothing illegal about being a spokesman.

It's funny that they keep arresting 17-19 yr old kids when you KNOW that the real hackers are much older and much more experienced. These kids are being served up as cannon fodder. The arrests won't slow down Lulz or Anonymous at all.

hackers can be anyone...even your buddies on a forum who seem light hearted and harmless...heh heh heh

Joebob034
07-27-2011, 06:56 PM
They used to call me a hacker, now they just call me cracker

and a slacker

DemonGeminiX
07-27-2011, 07:09 PM
:hand:

Real hackers never get caught. Their kung fu is too good.

Acid Trip
07-27-2011, 07:16 PM
hackers can be anyone...even your buddies on a forum who seem light hearted and harmless...heh heh heh

The attack on Sony was HIGHLY sophisticated. Do you really think the people who pulled that off would be so lackadaisical in covering their tracks that they'd be caught so quickly? I highly doubt it.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-27-2011, 07:18 PM
http://www.scrubradio.com/pictures/bands/31edd966a6e3ff8680df3ce9c4baf1bf.gif

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2011, 07:21 PM
The attack on Sony was HIGHLY sophisticated. Do you really think the people who pulled that off would be so lackadaisical in covering their tracks that they'd be caught so quickly? I highly doubt it.

So hackers are infallible is what you are saying?

Hal-9000
07-27-2011, 07:26 PM

I know :lol:

Muddy
07-27-2011, 07:30 PM
http://www.scrubradio.com/pictures/bands/31edd966a6e3ff8680df3ce9c4baf1bf.gif

Exactly.. :lol:

Hal-9000
07-27-2011, 07:35 PM
would it change things if I told you guys I wrote a brute force algorithm and nailed every local account for Sears?

or should I just post a funny pic and we forget about it? :rolleyes:

MY point was...never judge a book by it's cover, especially it's Twitter cover...hyuk hyuk

Acid Trip
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
So hackers are infallible is what you are saying?

Not even close to what I'm saying. I'm saying the masterminds behind this are not a bunch of teenagers. The people they arrested are merely foot soldiers (if that) and are expendable.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Not even close to what I'm saying. I'm saying the masterminds behind this are not a bunch of teenagers. The people they arrested are merely foot soldiers (if that) and are expendable.

There is absolutely no evidence to back up your claim. These teenagers could indeed be the hackers in question.

Muddy
07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
The Illuminati are behind everything....

Hal-9000
07-27-2011, 08:16 PM
The Illuminati are behind everything....

Look at your dollar bill :shock:

*touches nose*

Muddy
07-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Nicolas Cage is God...

Hal-9000
07-27-2011, 09:14 PM
oh shucks I read the Illuminati book in junior high school, long before that stuff came along...

interesting stuff in the book, it does make you think

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Report: Scotland Yard Identifies LulzSec Hacker
By Chloe Albanesius - PC Magazine

The teenage hacker arrested last week in the U.K. for his alleged involvement with Anonymous and LulzSec is reportedly an 18-year-old named Jake Davis.

Scotland Yard on Sunday revealed that the hacker known as "Topiary" is actually Davis, from the U.K.'s Shetland Islands, according to security firm Sophos and Daily Mail crime reporter Chris Greenwood.

Davis will appear in a London court on Monday morning, Greenwood tweeted.

Scotland Yard has not yet posted any new information about the case since the Wednesday arrest. In a Sunday blog post, however, Sophos' Graham Cluley said Davis has five charges against him:

Unauthorized access to a computer system, contrary to Section 3 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990.
Encouraging / assisting offences, contrary to S46 of the Serious Crime Act 2007.
Conspiracy with others to carry out a Distributed Denial of Service Attack on the Web site of the Serious and Organised Crime Agency contrary to S1 Criminal Law Act 1977.
Conspiracy to commit offences of section 3 Computer Misuse Act 1990, contrary to S1 Criminal Law Act 1977.
Conspiracy between the defendant and others to commit offences of section 3 Computer Misuse Act 1990 contrary to S1 Criminal Law Act 1977.

Cluley also said a source told him Davis is an "avid online chess player" and was arrested on the northern island of Yell. "Frankly, it's hard to imagine a more remote place in the British Isles to be," he wrote.

Last week, Scotland Yard said it had arrested a man who "is believed to be linked to an ongoing international investigation in to the criminal activity of the so-called 'hacktivist' groups Anonymous and LulzSec, and uses the online nickname 'Topiary' which is presented as the spokesperson for the groups."

The day after that announcement, the LulzSec Exposed blog said Scotland Yard had arrested the wrong person because its evidence suggested that Topiary was actually a 22-year-old Swedish man named Daniel Sandberg. That, however, has not been confirmed.

As PCMag pointed out in a recent overview of the key LulzSec players, Topiary is reportedly second-in-command within LulzSec, though he is thought to be the least tech-savvy in the group. As a result, he acted as a PR liaison for Anonymous before moving over to LulzSec.

He recently deleted posts from the @atopiary Twitter account; it now only has one tweet from July 21: its new "You cannot arrest an idea" tagline. The bio on that Twitter page says Topiary is a "simple prankster turned swank garden hedge [who] worked with Anonymous, LulzSec, and other such paragons of intense cyber victory. You are free."

The @LulzSec Twitter feed has not been updated since July 27, the day of Davis' arrest. A recent tweet from the @AnonymousIRC feed encouraged officials, in all caps, to free Topiary and other hackers who have been arrested in recent weeks, including "tflow."

Members of Anonymous and LulzSec have been arrested throughout the world in recent months, including Spain, Turkey, the U.K., the Netherlands, and the United States. In retaliation, Anonymous recently organized a boycott of PayPal, though the company said that effort had little effect.

AntZ
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
In past generations, the really bright people were usually quickly identified either in schools or in the military and recruited. Now, much of these people are sitting in bedrooms or their parents basements with nothing to challenge their clever minds, so they are left to do stupid shit like hack secure websites. In past generations, they would have been the ones cracking the Enigma Code or solving the problems with manned spaceflight!

Hal-9000
08-01-2011, 08:56 PM
If I was Bill Gates..I'd be recruiting each and every one of these people for my own Dirty Dozen and paying them 6 figures..