PDA

View Full Version : Girl struck by lightning on sunny day

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2011, 12:20 AM
'There was no rain. It was a beautiful day'
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/GTERM.jpg

CANONSBURG, Pa. (AP) - An 11-year-old western Pennsylvania girl is recovering after she was struck by a bolt from the blue.

Lisa Wehrle tells the Observer-Reporter newspaper of Washington, Pa., that the sun was shining when her daughter, Britney, was struck by lightning Friday, apparently from a storm several miles away.

Lisa Wehrle says, "There was no rain. It was a beautiful day. All she heard was some thunder."

The lightning hit Britney as she was walking down a hill in North Strabane Township with a friend about 2:30 p.m. that day. The bolt hit her on the left shoulder, leaving a burn-like mark and exited her wrist, where it left another mark.

She was treated at a Pittsburgh hospital. Doctors discovered her arm was broken, but otherwise she's OK.

Hal-9000
07-28-2011, 12:23 AM
It always amazes me how selective lightning can be.We were always told that it hits the highest point or is attracted to metal...

seems to seek out humans too

JoeyB
07-28-2011, 05:34 AM
I've always been told that regardless of the weather conditions where you are, if you can hear thunder, you can be struck.

Godfather
07-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Wow, it's shocking she survived. 'Blots from the blue' are generally far more deadly than common strikes. Lightning on a clear day isn't unheard of - it's positive strikes of lighting (most strikes are negative charges) from a far-off cumulonimbus clouds that strike the ground sometimes many miles away where it meets a negative charged streamer... Often where there's clear weather! It's the kind most dangerous to planes.

Really shitty luck.

Acid Trip
07-28-2011, 04:22 PM
She's lucky the bolt went from her shoulder out through her wrist. If it had gone through the center of her body she probably wouldn't have lived to tell the story.

Hal-9000
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
ok scientists...which way does lightning travel?

From the sky down to the ground, or is something more nefarious going on behind the scenes?

Hal-9000
07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
The answer is, lightning can travel 3 directions...sky to ground, cloud to cloud and ground to sky.

Acid Trip
07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
The answer is, lightning can travel 3 directions...sky to ground, cloud to cloud and ground to sky.

I'll lock that away into the "useless Jeopardy knowledge" part of my brain. :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
07-28-2011, 06:57 PM
:sad2:

I thought it was a damn sight more interesting than arguing about politics :lol: A subject people can only affect once every four years at the polls, yet somehow endlessly drone on about for hours.And the arguing/discussion...never....changes.....a......thing.

:dance:

JoeyB
07-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Also, anus to anus.

Muddy
07-28-2011, 09:41 PM
:lol: