PDA

View Full Version : TikTok ‘challenge’ warns of alleged school shooting threats across US

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2021, 01:22 PM
By Hannah Frishberg - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/ubMyahal.jpg

An anonymous threat made on TikTok has US school districts on high alert.

The threat, which is also being reported as a “challenge,” claims that multiple school shootings will take place on Friday.

As a result, numerous schools across the nation have increased security and issued letters to parents as a precaution. Authorities, however, have deemed the threat to be fake.

“Law enforcement agencies have investigated this threat and determined that it originated in Arizona and is not credible,” the official Baltimore County Public Schools Twitter account tweeted Thursday regarding schools in Maryland’s most populous city.

Still, many parents are being alerted and asked to talk with their kids about the matter.

“Parents, we are asking you to discuss this with your children,” the deputy superintendent of Wisconsin’s Waukesha School District wrote in a letter obtained by Fox 6 Milwaukee. “We take all threats seriously and any threats against the school or district will be disciplined to the greatest extent possible, up to and including expulsion from school.”

The current threats were not specifically aimed at the school district, the superintendent clarified.

As of late November, there had been 32 school shootings in the US in 2021 that resulted in injury or death, according to Education Week. However, 2020 only saw 10 school shootings amid the pandemic.

While many school heads are encouraging parents to immediately report any and all threats they hear of, certain districts are now being deluged with calls.

“Many of our schools are being inundated with parent calls this morning asking about these latest threats and their validity,” Florida’s Citrus County School District tweeted of the situation. “As of Thursday morning, we have not received any indication of a credible threat to any of our schools.”

In Arizona, the Scottsdale Unified School District also emphasized that the TikTok threats for Friday are not credible but that schools are taking extra precautions anyway.

“You may notice an increased police presence on and around our campuses today and tomorrow,” the district said, according to Fox, noting that it “takes all threats seriously.”

In New York, Oneida County Sheriff Robert Maciol said area schools will have an increased police presence Friday, Syracuse reported.

Muddy
12-17-2021, 04:11 PM
We got emails from the local school district here about this yesterday.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-17-2021, 04:26 PM
I dunno if we got an email or not, I seem to only get about 50% of the emails the school sends out. Luckily the wife gets them all, I'll text her and see if she heard anything.

RBP
12-17-2021, 05:04 PM
I had a single-mom friend freaking out over this. Email from the district as well. She chose to keep her kid home today.

deebakes
12-18-2021, 03:14 AM
We got emails from the local school district here about this yesterday.

same :unimpressed:

lost in melb.
12-18-2021, 06:31 AM
What kind of a person would do this bulshit? :?

DemonGeminiX
12-18-2021, 02:24 PM
What kind of a person would do this bulshit? :?

An asshole.

RBP
12-18-2021, 02:46 PM
Were there any incidents?

DemonGeminiX
12-18-2021, 02:46 PM
Were there any incidents?

I didn't hear of any.

deebakes
12-18-2021, 04:28 PM
and let's hope there were not any