PDA

View Full Version : Mainstream media fume over dad saying 'Let's Go Brandon' to Biden: 'Vulgar,' 'right-wing slur'

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2021, 11:57 AM
By Lindsay Kornick | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/ZI4SpVl.png

Media pundits spent much of Christmas weekend berating a father who yelled "Let’s Go Brandon" at President Biden on Christmas Eve.

President Biden and First Lady Jill Biden took part in a "Santa Tracker" event with NORAD officials on Friday to speak with callers tracking Santa Claus for Christmas. One caller who identified as Jared from Oregon ended his family’s call by saying "Let’s Go Brandon," a phrase usually intended as a disparagement against the president.

The phrase "Let’s Go Brandon" emerged after a reporter claimed that NASCAR fans shouting the phrase "F--- Joe Biden" were actually saying "Let’s Go Brandon" in reaction to driver Brandon Brown. It has since become a media sensation to mock the president and media reporters who slam Biden critics.

Mainstream media journalists have since treated the phrase as "vulgar" and "vitriol," going so far as to compare people who use the phrase to ISIS sympathizers.

The pattern continued after reporters identified the man as Jared Schmeck, a former Oregon police officer who has since insisted that the phrase was made "in a joking manner."

Some outlets, however, appeared to disagree, with titles like NBC’s "Parent uses right-wing slur during Biden call with NORAD Santa tracker" and ABC’s "Father uses vulgar insult during holiday call with President Joe Biden."

Slate also referred to the phrase as a "right-wing slur" in describing the situation.

"What has become a traditional White House holiday call with children tracking Santa Claus took an awkward turn this year when one father used the opportunity to insult the president using a slur that has become popular in right-wing circles," Slate wrote.

CNN was particularly harsh against Schmeck in their reports.

CNN White House correspondent Jeremy Diamond tweeted, "If you think it’s appropriate to tell someone — anyone, really — to go f*** themselves after they gave your kids the time of day on Christmas Eve, it says a lot more about your personal character than anything else. That is all."

Senior reporter Edward Isaac-Dovere followed up, writing, "Consider the mentality here of the father whose child is excited to talk about Santa Claus and then also gets to talk to the president and First Lady, but he waits out the end of the call to sneak in a cutesy way of flipping off the president on Christmas Eve."
During an on-air segment, The Atlantic’s Ron Brownstein went as far as to claim the phrase was a form of "insurrection."
"I don’t think it’s fundamentally about incivility. I think it is fundamentally about insurrection," Brownstein said.

Other reporters also had similar comments against the use of "Let’s Go Brandon."
This contrasted the media’s previous response to several instances of people publicly disparaging President Donald Trump or yelling "F--- Donald Trump" in public. Some examples of vulgarity were not only excused by media outlets but promoted and celebrated.

The Washington Post defended comedian Kathy Griffin in 2018 after she infamously posed in a fake bloodied image holding Trump’s severed head. That same year, the New York Times published an "assassination fantasy" account of Trump being killed by a Russian assassin.

deebakes
12-27-2021, 02:37 PM
should have done a better job vetting the callers :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2021, 03:10 PM
By Virginia Kruta - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/3pxBt1ol.jpg

Jared Schmeck became an instant Twitter-trend when he ended a Christmas phone call with President Joe Biden by saying, “Let’s go Brandon” — a phrase that has been used both as a euphemism for the phrase “f*** Joe Biden” and as a critique of legacy media for running cover for the Biden administration.

Schmeck, a former police officer and father of four from Oregon, ended the call by saying, “Merry Christmas … and let’s go Brandon!”

Biden responded, “Let’s go Brandon I agree.”
Schmeck told The Oregonian/Oregon Live that he has received threats since making the comment, but says that he meant no ill will against the president and doesn’t even dislike him — he only meant to voice his frustrations in what he perceived as a “joking manner.”

“At the end of the day, I have nothing against Mr. Biden, but I am frustrated because I think he can be doing a better job. I mean no disrespect to him,” Schmeck said. He told the outlet that he did not think of himself as a “Trumper,” instead describing himself as a “free-thinking American and follower of Jesus Christ.”

He also said that the opportunity to speak to President Biden directly was unexpected — he and his family have called the NORAD Santa Tracker hotline every Christmas Eve for years, and he had expected the call to be automated and had not expected it to be livestreamed.

“We just waited on hold and then they answered. And I thought, ‘wow, this is real,'” he said.

Immediately after the call, Schmeck’s wife reportedly outed him on Instagram, saying, “My husband may or may not have just told joe and jill Biden ‘let’s go Brandon’ on the phone.”

Schmeck also posted his own video of the call, with President Biden and First Lady Jill Biden on speaker, on his own YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ulpuUKI4Q

OregonLive reported that Schmeck said he’s been receiving “vague but threatening phone calls” since the phone call:

Schmeck called his remark a “joke,” and a reflection of his frustration with Biden’s policies, including the federal vaccine mandates, inflation and global supply chain problems that have caused shortages in consumer products.

“And now I am being attacked for utilizing my freedom of speech,” Schmeck said, adding that he’s been receiving some vague but threatening phone calls since the Santa tracker call.

“I understand there is a vulgar meaning to ‘Lets go Brandon,’ but I’m not that simple minded, no matter how I feel about him,” the 35-year-old father said Christmas morning. “He seems likes he’s a cordial guy. There’s no animosity or anything like that. It was merely just an innocent jest to also express my God-given right to express my frustrations in a joking manner…I love him just like I love any other brother or sister.”

He went on to say he “stood 100% behind what I did and what I said.”

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2021, 03:10 PM
should have done a better job vetting the callers :lol:

We should have a President that isn't a vegetable. :dunno: He said it back to the caller FFS :rofl:

deebakes
12-27-2021, 03:23 PM
it sort of takes the sting out of it when the person you are insulting doesn't get it :lol:

RBP
12-27-2021, 04:26 PM
That whole thing was hilarious. :lol:

And the one tweet is correct. Acting like petulant middle-school kids. Doesn't make it any less funny.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2021, 05:00 PM
That whole thing was hilarious. :lol:

And the one tweet is correct. Acting like petulant middle-school kids. Doesn't make it any less funny.

What makes it even funnier is that the people whining about this 'Let's Go Brandon' phrase, which isn't vulgar even though we all know what it means, are the same ones that FULLY embraced the people screaming 'Fuck Trump' at any and every opportunity.

RBP
12-27-2021, 05:14 PM
What makes it even funnier is that the people whining about this 'Let's Go Brandon' phrase, which isn't vulgar even though we all know what it means, are the same ones that FULLY embraced the people screaming 'Fuck Trump' at any and every opportunity.

:hand:

The righteous are the only only entitled to victim status.

deebakes
12-27-2021, 05:25 PM
i personally don't encourage the use of profanity when talking about most things, as i like to keep everything safe for work. i think the latching on to an innocuous phrase to convey a message is comical personally.

what, me worry? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-27-2021, 05:26 PM
:hand:

The righteous are the only only entitled to victim status.

:sad2:

RBP
12-27-2021, 05:42 PM
i personally don't encourage the use of profanity when talking about most things, as i like to keep everything safe for work. i think the latching on to an innocuous phrase to convey a message is comical personally.

what, me worry? :lol:

Well played!

deebakes
12-27-2021, 05:45 PM
:gimme5: