PDA

View Full Version : Venmo, PayPal and Zelle must report $600+ in transactions to IRS

Teh One Who Knocks
01-07-2022, 01:32 PM
By Tim Fitzsimons - NBC News

https://i.imgur.com/lNXPcSOl.png

As of Jan. 1, mobile payment apps like Venmo, PayPal, Zelle and Cash App are required to report commercial transactions totaling more than $600 per year to the Internal Revenue Service.

The change to the tax code was signed into law as part of the American Rescue Plan Act, the Covid-19 response bill passed in March.

Previously, these mobile payment apps only had to tell the tax authorities when a person had over 200 commercial transactions per year that exceeded $20,000 in total value, the IRS said.

Starting Jan. 1, the IRS said, if a person accrues more than $600 annually in commercial payments on an app like Venmo, then Venmo “must file and furnish a Form 1099-K” for them — reporting on all the commercial income they collected through the app.

The tax-reporting change only applies to charges for commercial goods or services, not personal charges to friends and family, like splitting a dinner bill.

In an explanatory document on the new tax changes, the IRS said these changes also apply to people who sell items on internet auction sites like eBay and people who "have a holiday craft business" so long as they accept credit card payments through these apps.

PayPal said both "PayPal and Venmo offer a way for customers to tag their peer-to-peer (P2P) transactions as either personal/friends and family or goods and services by choosing the appropriate category for each transaction."

"Users should select Goods and Services whenever they are sending money to another user to purchase an item, like a couch from a local ad listing or concert tickets, or paying for a service," PayPal said.

deebakes
01-07-2022, 03:47 PM
irs still greedy i see

Teh One Who Knocks
01-07-2022, 03:53 PM
They wanna know all about your monies so they can take it :thumbsup:

deebakes
01-07-2022, 04:03 PM
i wish i was wealthy so taxes didn't apply to me :-k

PorkChopSandwiches
01-10-2022, 04:32 PM
#KeepItCrypto

KevinD
01-11-2022, 01:01 AM
Keep it cash...

Muddy
01-11-2022, 12:05 PM
"Commercial transactions" says to me this only affects business reporting. I hope.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-11-2022, 12:31 PM
"Commercial transactions" says to me this only affects business reporting. I hope.

It pertains to anything you sell, even personally, and you take payments by any payment service. You will get a 1099 for anything over $600. So if you were selling, say a car, and you were asking $1,000 for it and the person pays you through PayPal or Venmo or any payment app, then you will get a 1099 for that transaction.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2022, 11:12 AM
By Lisa Bennatan | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/JsdgCyvl.jpg

PHILADELPHIA – Venmo users said they're changing their minds about the app over a new legal provision that requires the company to report commercial transactions totaling over $600 per year to the IRS.

"Honestly, I'm using Venmo because there's no taxes," and if it "starts to have taxes, I'm not using it anymore," one Venmo user told Fox News.

Effective Jan. 1, third-party payment processors are required to report a user's business transactions to the IRS if they exceed $600 for the year. Previously, payment apps like PayPal, Zelle and Cash App were required to send users Form 1099-K only if their gross income exceeded $20,000 and if they had 200 separate transactions within a calendar year.

"Wow, that sucks," Stuart Lopez, a busker, told Fox News after learning of the change. He said he's going to stick to cash because he "really needs that money."

"The IRS finds its way into everything," the musician continued. "Someday they're going to start telling me to pay some of my money from the cash."

Several people felt the new law changed the whole purpose of apps like Venmo.

"The benefit of Venmo is that it's really convenient and that you don't have to worry about recording or keeping track of stuff for taxes," another Venmo user told Fox News. "That just makes it a lot less convenient to use."

Another woman agreed: "That's kind of ridiculous … that wasn't the point, that just makes it a lot less convenient."

A Philadelphia local added that "it's pretty easy to accumulate up to $600, and to have to figure out tax on that seems challenging and difficult to track."

The change in the tax regulation was part of the American Rescue Plan Act Democrats passed in March. Some believe the law, which only applies to charges for commercial goods or services, made sense.

"It's inevitable," one man told Fox News. "The government has to keep track of all money and they're getting rid of cash." Venmo is "replacing it."

"So it's great for the government, bad for everybody else," the man continued.

https://i.imgur.com/eRQlXLHl.jpg

Another Philadelphia resident felt similarly.

"It makes sense to keep track of the economy," he said.

Muddy
01-13-2022, 02:29 PM
I have a tenant paying rent through Venmo.. I guess this is gonna fuck me now.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-13-2022, 03:57 PM

Have him pay you weekly :lol:

Muddy
01-13-2022, 04:24 PM
Have him pay you weekly :lol:

I'm going to report the income anyway because I use a proper accountant..

PorkChopSandwiches
01-13-2022, 04:36 PM
In that case it makes no difference to you, just another way the government is overstepping..... nothing to see here

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2022, 04:45 PM
In that case it makes no difference to you, just another way the government is overstepping..... nothing to see here

Yeah, it's going to mostly affect people that sell things on like eBay or Craigslist or Facebook and the buyers want to pay using a payment app. Anything above $600 will get you a 1099.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-13-2022, 04:50 PM
Yeah, got to make sure you are stealing from those scrapping by

deebakes
01-14-2022, 01:31 AM

hey uncle moneybags, spread the wealth

Pony
01-14-2022, 01:27 PM
It's so great that their changes to the tax code are only to go after the uber rich like they promised.

Muddy
01-14-2022, 02:05 PM
hey uncle moneybags, spread the wealth

Imma buy you a shiny new cleaver...

Muddy
01-14-2022, 02:05 PM
It's so great that their changes to the tax code are only to go after the uber rich like they promised.

:qft: