PDA

View Full Version : Amy Winehouse Died from Alcohol Withdrawal, Says Family

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2011, 01:44 PM
By Tim Nudd - People Magazine

http://i.imgur.com/Ps8X9.jpg

Amy Winehouse's struggles to quit drugs were well documented. But her family fears that sudden abstinence from alcohol might have been what led to her death last Saturday at age 27, according to a report.

Winehouse ignored doctors' advice to step back gradually from her heavy drinking and went cold turkey in the past month, an unnamed family friend tells Britain's Sun. Her family believes that was too much of a shock to her system, the source adds.

"Abstinence gave her body such a fright, they thought it was eventually the cause of her death," says the source.

PEOPLE has confirmed that this is the family's belief.

The cause of Winehouse's death won't be known for weeks, pending the completion of toxicology tests.

There have been reports that Winehouse went on a bender during her final days. But the family source tells the Sun that her father, Mitch Winehouse, said in his eulogy at his daughter's funeral that he believed it was just the opposite.

"He said doctors had told Amy to gradually reduce her intake of alcohol and to avoid bingeing at all costs. Amy told him she couldn't do that. It was all or nothing and she gave up completely," says the source.

"Mitch said the shock of giving up, after everything she had been through over a bad few years, was just too much for her to take."

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2011, 01:44 PM
:|

Tank
07-28-2011, 01:59 PM
hmmmm yeah, ok. cause whenever junkies and alcoholics get sent to prison they immediately drop dead the 1st week their inside from withdrawals. :-k

RBP
07-28-2011, 02:00 PM
right. :|

Arkady Renko
07-28-2011, 02:04 PM
I think the family are trying to turn attention away from their failure to help.

Godfather
07-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Ya ooookie...

PorkChopSandwiches
07-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Seems like an extream case if its true
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001769/

Hugh_Janus
07-28-2011, 05:33 PM
hmmmm yeah, ok. cause whenever junkies and alcoholics get sent to prison they immediately drop dead the 1st week their inside from withdrawals. :-k

drug withdrawals in prison? Are you on crack? :lol:

AntZ
07-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Sounds like some doctors need to pay up so the family can feel closure! :(

Damn those evil incompetent doctors for taking this angel from the world!

Muddy
07-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Anyone really care?

RBP
07-28-2011, 07:15 PM
does anybody know what time it is?

PorkChopSandwiches
07-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Its time to get ill

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2011, 07:54 PM
You mean the withdrawal she started going through 2 seconds after the last hit of the drug and drinking binge she went on right before she died?

:-s

Hal-9000
07-28-2011, 07:59 PM
I've heard about this syndrome before, not sure if I believe in it.The body is so used to operating with toxins that stopping cold turkey upsets everything from the heart to the autoimmune systems.More prevalent with alcohol than drugs.

here's what I do believe in...

"The cause of Winehouse's death won't be known for weeks, pending the completion of toxicology tests."

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2011, 08:02 PM
I've heard about this syndrome before, not sure if I believe in it.The body is so used to operating with toxins that stopping cold turkey upsets everything from the heart to the autoimmune systems.More prevalent with alcohol than drugs.

I've heard of that happening with heroin addicts. I've never heard of it happening with alcoholics though. Not trying to argue, I'm just saying...

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2011, 08:08 PM
P.S. I'm sure you're right.

Hal-9000
07-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I've heard of that happening with heroin addicts. I've never heard of it happening with alcoholics though. Not trying to argue, I'm just saying...

It really doesn't matter...to me it's all drugs in your body causing an effect.I know this - You put a substance in your body every day and at first the body tries to evacuate it as best as possible.When the user repeats, over time... the body gives in and starts using the elements in the drug to replace normal operating system elements.Cigarettes are a good example of this, the body starts using the chemicals in the smokes trying to adapt (because the human body is a wonderful thing that way) and eventually it gives in and uses the junk.

Booze, heroin, cigarettes...we have to eliminate the facade that one is 'better' than another.If it alters your body chemistry to any extent, it's obviously changing something.The only question is - With moderate use your body can evacuate toxins daily.Step over the line for a number of years and of course your body is going to hurt during the transition when you removes those same chemicals.Question is - Where is your personal line?

I've seen relatives and a coworker go through DT's from booze...really not much different than a heroin addict going through withdrawal, just a slightly different set of symptoms.

Deepsepia
08-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Sure, sounds possible.

She withdrew vodka from the bottle, and put it down her throat.