PDA

View Full Version : Southwest to bring alcohol back on flights, citing customer demand

Teh One Who Knocks
02-04-2022, 11:29 AM
By Alison Sider | The Wall Street Journal

https://i.imgur.com/oyf8K8rl.png

Southwest Airlines Co. is bringing back in-flight alcohol sales after holding off for months to tamp down on disruptive passengers.

On Feb. 16, the airline will restore alcoholic beverages for purchase on most of its flights of 176 miles or more for the first time since March 2020, when it restricted food and beverage options early in the pandemic.

"Customers have expressed a desire for more beverage options," Tony Roach, vice president customer experience and customer relations, said in a statement.

While some other carriers resumed selling alcohol last year, Southwest has taken a slower approach. The airline said in May 2021 that it would delay offering alcoholic beverages again, citing an industry-wide uptick in unruly passengers at the time.

Southwest said in January that it was considering bringing back alcohol in the spring. A spokesman said Thursday that the decision was driven by customer feedback, and that logistics and supply chain details came together to allow for an earlier resumption.

The union that represents Southwest flight attendants said the move is "unsafe and irresponsible."

"TWU Local 556 is outraged at Southwest Airlines’ resumption of alcohol sales," Lyn Montgomery, president of the union, said in a statement. "We have adamantly and unequivocally informed management that resuming sales of alcohol while the mask mandate is in place has the great potential to increase customer non-compliance and misconduct issues."

A Southwest spokesman declined to comment on the union’s remarks.

Disruptive and sometimes violent behavior by passengers has become more frequent in the past year as travelers returned from a pandemic-induced hiatus. The Federal Aviation Administration and flight attendants groups have said that alcohol played a role in many incidents.

American Airlines Group Inc., which also opted not to resume alcohol sales in its economy cabins last year, said it still hasn’t set a date to bring it back, although it does offer alcohol in premium cabins.

"We will continue to evaluate the situation and work closely with the union that represents our flight attendants, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, and medical experts on this process to determine when we will return to full service in the main cabin," the airline said in a statement Thursday.

DemonGeminiX
02-04-2022, 02:21 PM
Business is so bad, ya gotta invite the unruly drunks back.

Godfather
02-05-2022, 07:03 AM
Good. Drinking a beer on the way to or from a nice vacation is a small pleasure on an otherwise unpleasant experience. Hopefully a few assholes don't ruin it for the rest of us again.

deebakes
02-06-2022, 02:51 PM
what better way to start your day than a 6 am gin and tonic?

DemonGeminiX
02-06-2022, 04:28 PM

:-s

Orange juice?

deebakes
02-06-2022, 08:32 PM
psssh, you crazy

DemonGeminiX
02-06-2022, 11:08 PM
:nono:

Orange juice is nutritious.

Godfather
02-08-2022, 06:39 AM

Me and my buddies who (used to) travel a fair bit for work call airport beers 'termies' :lol: It's one of the few places on earth where it's totally normal to see a guy in a suit drinking a beer at 7am and thinking nothing of it.

deebakes
02-08-2022, 02:06 PM
pre-covid, i was traveling all the time. when i knew i had a long day (or flight) ahead of me, didn't matter the time of day to start with a drink or two

PorkChopSandwiches
02-08-2022, 06:09 PM
Good. Drinking a beer on the way to or from a nice vacation is a small pleasure on an otherwise unpleasant experience. Hopefully a few assholes don't ruin it for the rest of us again.

Yeah, they were forcing me to eat edibles, and sometime that doesn't work out so well :lol:

lost in melb.
02-12-2022, 01:21 PM
pre-covid, i was traveling all the time. when i knew i had a long day (or flight) ahead of me, didn't matter the time of day to start with a drink or two

I do yoga in the lounge and start my meditation on the plane. Join me...my son.

RBP
02-12-2022, 04:39 PM

Can you blow yourself yet?

deebakes
02-12-2022, 06:01 PM

:shock:

Godfather
02-15-2022, 07:14 AM
Yeah, they were forcing me to eat edibles, and sometime that doesn't work out so well :lol:

All that would do for me is make me paranoid going through security :lol:

lost in melb.
02-15-2022, 07:35 AM
Can you blow yourself yet?

That's what good friends are for :daisy: