PDA

View Full Version : Russian teenager jailed over ‘Minecraft plot to blow up virtual spy HQ’

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2022, 12:46 PM
Agence France-Presse in Moscow

https://i.imgur.com/HM1o09N.jpg

A Russian teenager has been sentenced to five years in prison for allegedly planning to blow up a virtual FSB security service building in the video game Minecraft.

The ruling falls into a broader pattern under President Vladimir Putin in which young Russians are put behind bars on controversial and preemptive terrorism charges.

A military court in Siberia sentenced 16-year-old Nikita Uvarov to five years in a penal colony on charges of “training for terrorist activities”, the rights lawyer Pavel Chikov said on the messaging service Telegram.

Two other defendants were cleared of criminal charges and handed suspended sentences because they cooperated with investigators, Chikov added.

The hearing was held behind closed doors.

Uvarov and two other teenagers in the Siberian city of Kansk were detained in the summer of 2020 for spreading leaflets in support of a Moscow mathematician and anarchist activist who was on trial for vandalism.

They put one of the leaflets on a local building of the FSB, Russia’s powerful domestic security agency and successor of the Soviet-era KGB.

Police took their phones and said they found an exchange about plans to blow up an FSB building that they had created in the popular block-building game Minecraft.

According to investigators, the teenagers were also learning to make improvised explosive devices and practised detonating them in abandoned buildings.

The teenagers initially faced more severe charges of “participating in a terrorist organisation”, but these were dropped due to lack of evidence.

In his last words in court, reported by the Novaya Gazeta newspaper, Uvarov spoke about pressure from authorities during the investigation and denied planning to blow anything up.

He pleaded not guilty and said that if he was handed prison time, he would serve it “with a clear conscience and dignity”.

“For the last time in this court I want to say: I am not a terrorist,” he said.

It is not the first time in recent years that young Russians have received prison sentences for controversial terrorism charges. In August 2020, three young activists – who were accused of belonging to an anarchist group called “New Greatness” – were sentenced to time in jail for allegedly plotting to overthrow Putin’s government. Four others were handed suspended sentences in a case initiated by the FSB that supporters described as fabricated.

In February 2020, seven young anarchists and anti-fascists were sentenced to between six and 18 years in prison on terror and other charges. Arrested in 2017 and 2018, most of the men said they had been tortured in custody with electrodes and beaten to extract a confession.

Muddy
02-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Huh..?

DemonGeminiX
02-11-2022, 01:55 PM
Cliff notes: Russia has a law against plotting terroristic acts against the government. It's kinda broad.
The kid was playing Minecraft, and he was making plans to blow up a Russian government building in the game.
Russian authorities took it as making plans to blow up the real building, arrested him, charged him under the aforementioned broad law, and jailed him for 5 years.

deebakes
02-11-2022, 01:59 PM
:rip:

Muddy
02-11-2022, 02:32 PM
Cliff notes: Russia has a law against plotting terroristic acts against the government. It's kinda broad.
The kid was playing Minecraft, and he was making plans to blow up a Russian government building in the game.
Russian authorities took it as making plans to blow up the real building, arrested him, charged him under the aforementioned broad law, and jailed him for 5 years.

Thank ya, Bud..! I actually understood this one.. I was just like saying.. :lolwut: Kind of like the Pop-tart gun thing..

lost in melb.
02-11-2022, 03:54 PM
Would there be any consequences whatsoever for doing something like this in the US?

deebakes
02-11-2022, 04:00 PM
likely no

deebakes
02-11-2022, 04:00 PM
freedom and shit :tup:

lost in melb.
02-11-2022, 04:04 PM
Just checking. Sometimes in the US on national security things it is prudent not to make the wrong joke in the wrong place.

On the way between where I lived in West Virginia and one of the larger towns in Virginia there is a farm. But it's a fake farm that is attached to a large military complex. I suggested to my colleagues that we pull over there for fun and they looked at me and said: NOOO. :lol:

Muddy
02-11-2022, 04:06 PM
freedom and shit :tup:

I dunno... In a video game I don't think we would take it seriously.. Unless it's a pop-tart in the shape of a gun.. Then all bets are off.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2022, 04:13 PM
I dunno... In a video game I don't think we would take it seriously.. Unless it's a pop-tart in the shape of a gun.. Then all bets are off.

Or if your assault team in the video game wasn't diverse enough.

lost in melb.
02-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Or if your assault team in the video game wasn't diverse enough.

:pale:

Muddy
02-11-2022, 04:19 PM
:lol: