PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post columnist freaks out over maskless crowds at SXSW: 'It’s super depressing'

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2022, 11:14 AM
By Hannah Grossman | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/zktXf7L.png

Washington Post columnist Taylor Lorenz blasted maskless crowds at SXSW (South by Southwest), a conglomerate of music, art, and cultural events taking place in Austin, Texas.

Lorenz, who recently joined the Washington Post from The New York Times, said, "Seeing everyone indoors totally unmasked and crowded together at panels, events, and parties at [SXSW] makes me sad, when will things be safe for those who are high risk and vulnerable to participate in events and conferences and events?"
The SXSW rules requires attendees wear masks in some settings, particularly those that are indoors. It also mandates people to be vaccinated or a negative COVID-19 test.

Lorenz went on to blast events that are "plow[ing] ahead" amid "thousands of deaths still happening," which leaves "high risk and disabled [people] still very much in harms way."

"[W]e should think [about] who gets left behind. Who is forced to miss out on networking, career advancement, and opportunities," she said.

https://i.imgur.com/NOpZjh4.png

She went on to say that "it's super depressing" to see large crowds at events where hardly anyone is masked.

"Conferences are dumb, but they’re where so much networking and career advancement can happen, when they’re only safe for some it leaves the most vulnerable [people] behind and marginalizes them further."

While at The New York Times, Lorenz appeared to call America a "trash country," was accused of defamation, and making an erroneous accusation which she later admitted was wrong.

lost in melb.
03-14-2022, 12:10 PM
The Omicron wave has passed. Deaths are in the low hundreds per day now.

IF there is no new variant, the pandemic is well and truly over.

Muddy
03-14-2022, 12:52 PM
:freakout:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2022, 01:00 PM
The Omicron wave has passed. Deaths are in the low hundreds per day now.

IF there is no new variant, the pandemic is well and truly over.

These kinds of people never want it to be over.

lost in melb.
03-14-2022, 02:56 PM
These kinds of people never want it to be over.

I still see people wearing masks walking the streets around here. What is weird is they are mostly young and healthy.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2022, 03:38 PM
I still see people wearing masks walking the streets around here. What is weird is they are mostly young and healthy.

It's the same way here. There are far more young and healthy people wearing masks than there are frail and elderly looking people wearing them. And those people still wearing them are the ones that are statistically the least likely to get severely sick from this thing. Odds are in their favor that even if they do contract it, it will be extremely mild or even asymptomatic. Yet they are the ones whining the most about not forcing everyone to wear masks.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-14-2022, 04:12 PM
:facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
03-14-2022, 04:59 PM
She needs to get laid.

Muddy
03-14-2022, 05:17 PM
I think a lot of people wear the masks because it makes them incognito and they don't have to interact with people.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-14-2022, 06:34 PM
:hand: They wear them to show you they are better then you

Muddy
03-14-2022, 07:18 PM

:hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2022, 07:36 PM

https://i.imgur.com/q4nP9Vwl.jpeg

deebakes
03-16-2022, 01:14 AM
some of those people should be wearing masks :lol:

Godfather
03-16-2022, 08:08 AM
Indoor mask and vaccine mandates ended here and it's honestly funny to watch the baton get handed from the anti-mandate to pro-mandate crowd whining the loudest :lol:

I'm just glad I have the autonomy to decide myself and don't get these people who still want mandates. They can wear one if they want, doesn't bug me one bit, but we're 95% vaccinated, covid is down and less severe, and it's never going away... it's as safe as we'll ever get.

On top of that, the mask rules were clearly pointless as the world got back to normal.... We had to wear them for the 20 foot walk through a restaurant to the table... only to sit with 7 people for 2 hours. I had to wear one walking between equipment at my gym, but could take it off on the equipment 4 feet beside someone else.

My wife has worn an N95 daily for 2 years working with covid positive patients and yet to get it so I'm not saying masks have zero value... but I'm at the gym, hockey locker rooms, restaurants and everything else without a mask and it feels very right.

/rant