View Full Version : DUI driver throws hatchet at Bellingham police car, flees from authorities

Teh One Who Knocks
03-14-2022, 11:25 AM
by Nick Popham, KOMO News Reporter

https://i.imgur.com/MrILh2g.jpg

BELLINGHAM, Wash. — A wild story out of Bellingham involving a man getting arrested after allegedly throwing a hatchet at a Bellingham police car.

"He was throwing items at people as they were trying to pass," said Justin Mills, Washington State Trooper.

According to Mills, it all started before 10 p.m. Saturday night in Skagit County.

A white truck was driving on I-5 and was throwing things out his windows like blankets, garbage and other items.

State Patrol said he kept getting on and off the freeway and was swerving around so an unmarked trooper car starts following.

Once in Bellingham, Bellingham Police officers started following the truck too and that's when things took an even crazier turn.

"He actually threw a hatchet at a Bellingham police vehicle," Mills said.

According to WSP, the man allegedly responsible is David Anderson from Bellingham.

After throwing that hatchet, Anderson allegedly drove to the Bellis Fair mall and rammed his car into the doors of the food court.

He eventually ran inside with a second hatchet and caused more damage.

"I thought, who would do something like that?" asked one woman at the mall who didn’t want to give KOMO News her name. "I had to run to Target and I thought, I have to check this out for myself and see if it's really real."

Not only was it real, but in the morning caution tape was still up around the doors where the truck rammed through.

Anderson was allegedly tased and arrested by Bellingham Police inside the mall just after 11.

WSP believes he was under the influence of something but isn't sure whether it was alcohol or drugs.

"We're just thankful that no one was really hurt in this situation," Mills said.