PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg: U.S. Doled Out Billions In Fraudulent COVID Aid. Where’s The Accountability?

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2022, 12:27 PM
By Tim Pearce - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/m0vgfjol.jpg

The Biden administration should focus more on investigating and remedying billions of dollars worth of COVID-19 aid fraud before pumping out more of such spending, Bloomberg’s editorial board wrote on Monday.

In an op-ed published Monday morning, Bloomberg pointed out that the Secret Service estimates that $100 billion in COVID-19 relief funds may have been doled out in fraudulent claims, corrupt deals, or to dead people. The article suggests that Secret Service estimates may be too conservative, however. The editors write:

Even that may be understating the problem. As little as 23% of the $800 billion doled out by the Paycheck Protection Program actually found its way into workers’ pockets. A Department of Labor study estimated that more than $87 billion in emergency unemployment benefits were improperly paid. The Small Business Administration has (among other blunders) disbursed more than $6.2 billion to loan applicants it now suspects of identity theft. Somehow, the Internal Revenue Service managed to issue 2.2 million stimulus checks — worth about $3.5 billion — to dead people.

Only in government could such calamitous neglect be considered business as usual.

So far, the federal government has approved roughly $6 trillion in COVID-19 funds. In providing the funds to Americans in need, however, the government bungled operations with a lack of oversight and communications, leading to “the largest oversight challenge” of President Joe Biden’s administration, Biden’s chief coordinator for COVID-19 spending said last month.

“There is no question that the immense fraud that took place at the crush of the pandemic in 2020, particularly in small-business loans and unemployment insurance, is the largest oversight challenge the Biden administration inherited,” White House senior advisor Gene Sperling said.

The Biden administration continues to push for billions more in COVID-19 aid roughly two years lockdowns began over COVID-19 in the United States. Biden’s agenda is stalled in Congress, however, as fellow Democrats push back against additional COVID-19 spending. As Punchbowl News reported:

The White House hasn’t done anything to sell this legislation to Congress. This is a complaint you’ll hear from House and Senate Democrats. After weeks of rumors that the Biden administration would seek as much as $30 billion to $35 billion in new Covid funding, the White House sent a $22.5 billion request to Congress just before the omnibus package was released. This quickly was pared by one-third to $15 billion. And then it was cut entirely from the package following the uproar from Democratic lawmakers – spurred on by some Democratic governors.

Bloomberg argued that the Biden administration should focus instead on shoring up the government’s aid programs and appropriating billions in misspent funds before seeking additional COVID-19 aid. The editors suggested improving communication across the government and upgrading aged technology.

“Fixing such deficiencies must be a priority,” the editors wrote. “To his credit, Biden has announced several efforts to combat pandemic fraud. But more focus and investment will be required to stop the cancer of corruption for good.”

PorkChopSandwiches
03-15-2022, 03:02 PM
:roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2022, 03:14 PM
It's just a tiny bit of money. Remember, Deepsepia used to tell us all that fraud was just a tiny amount and not worth worrying about. :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-15-2022, 04:03 PM
Exactly

Muddy
03-15-2022, 05:39 PM
It's just a tiny bit of money. Remember, Deepsepia used to tell us all that fraud was just a tiny amount and not worth worrying about. :hand:

I wonder who he really was... That guy was very well versed in Liberal policy

Teh One Who Knocks
03-15-2022, 05:50 PM
I wonder who he really was... That guy was very well versed in Liberal policy

Even though he was very wildly liberal, I always got along with him. Other than his political views, he seemed to be a pretty decent guy.

Muddy
03-15-2022, 05:52 PM
Even though he was very wildly liberal, I always got along with him. Other than his political views, he seemed to be a pretty decent guy.

I think he lived in the DC'ish area or at least gave me that impression...

PorkChopSandwiches
03-15-2022, 06:38 PM
Probably my brother, he is a liberal cunt like that :lol:
And lives in DC

deebakes
03-16-2022, 01:21 AM
:rofl: not knowing your brother is on the same forum you are admin at

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2022, 03:33 PM
LOL he is far to young to actually be him. But, he works in DC pushing the Liberal Agenda and his views are far worse then Bernie or AOC. We dont talk much :lol:

lost in melb.
03-16-2022, 06:40 PM
LOL he is far to young to actually be him. But, he works in DC pushing the Liberal Agenda and his views are far worse then Bernie or AOC. We dont talk much :lol:

To him you are a "lost cause" :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-16-2022, 07:01 PM
As him for I ;)

deebakes
03-17-2022, 02:44 AM
he should have been named after that health food company i guess