PDA

View Full Version : A Chick-fil-A in California may be declared 'a public nuisance,' city council plans vote

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2022, 11:20 AM
By Lawrence Richard | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/zBw0IQ0l.jpg

A Chick-fil-A restaurant in California could soon be designated a "public nuisance," after members of the community have complained to the city council.

The Chick-fil-A restaurant, located in Santa Barbara, has been tremendously popular since it opened in 2013, but its success could be having a negative impact on the community. As desiring customers flock to the Chick-fil-A drive-thru, those who do not fit in the parking lot are forced onto the adjacent roadway, blocking traffic, residents have alleged, CBS News reported.

After the restaurant’s temporary fixes did not alleviate the traffic clog, the disgruntled residents took their complaints to the city council, who are considering a public designation to label the Chick-fil-A location a "public nuisance," a city council agenda document reads.

"Previous attempts to informally remedy the situation have been unsuccessful. It is unlawful to stop in the travel lane, and there are traffic control signs posted that advise motorists not to stop in the travel lane, but Chick-fil-A customers routinely ignore those signs," the document reads.

The alleged blockage of vehicles has impacted the surrounding area, including unsuspecting motorists and nearby businesses, the city claimed.

"Each time a queue forms on State Street, the eastbound number two traffic lane is blocked leaving only one lane available. The queuing increases the risk of collisions, particularly rear-end collisions and side-swipe collisions," the city document reads.

It added: "Queued vehicles persistently block the sidewalk and bike lanes, creating a danger to pedestrians and cyclists. The queuing of vehicles routinely blocks access to adjacent businesses, which affects customer and delivery access to these businesses."

"Chick-fil-A has a good problem here. They are so successful, they have outgrown their site. It's possible they were oversized for that site, to begin with," Santa Barbara City Council member Kristen Sneddon said during a hearing earlier this month, according to the report.

https://i.imgur.com/2wn8Jtel.jpg

The city council then unanimously voted to advance a motion that would label the restaurant a "public nuisance," but Chick-fil-A requested a delay, so the restaurant could take action once more to rectify the situation, CBS News reported.

Travis Collins, the operator of the franchise, said he’s eager to "be a good neighbor" and fix the traffic issues, which he said he could do by hiring additional staff and third-party traffic control, in an emailed statement, according to the report.

https://i.imgur.com/j7vbhJNl.jpg

The city council intends to finalize the vote during a hearing on June 7.

DemonGeminiX
03-18-2022, 11:35 AM
So blame the restaurant for the motorists' actions? They have road signs, ticket the fuckers.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-18-2022, 11:39 AM
So blame the restaurant for the motorists' actions? They have road signs, ticket the fuckers.

Exactly. Post a couple of patrol cars there and start writing tickets. Think of all the revenue the city would generate by citing all the drivers breaking the law. Enough people start/keep getting ticketed and they will stop blocking traffic.

Muddy
03-18-2022, 01:11 PM
Hate-il-a needs to open that fat wallet and get a proper piece of property to be able serve it's chicken starved flock..

DemonGeminiX
03-18-2022, 02:25 PM
Hate-il-a needs to open that fat wallet and get a proper piece of property to be able serve it's chicken starved flock..

:-s

They were granted the license to be where they are. They've done everything that was legally asked of them. Why should they be held responsible for what their customers do outside of their restaurant? And what does it matter what their beliefs or politics are in this situation?

Muddy
03-18-2022, 04:44 PM
:-s

They were granted the license to be where they are. They've done everything that was legally asked of them. Why should they be held responsible for what their customers do outside of their restaurant? And what does it matter what their beliefs or politics are in this situation?

Hey I get it.. Hate-fil-a doesn't give a fk about equal rights or their customers.. They are well within their legal right to operate in their best interests.

DemonGeminiX
03-18-2022, 05:33 PM
Hey I get it.. Hate-fil-a doesn't give a fk about equal rights or their customers.. They are well within their legal right to operate in their best interests.

They're not politicians, Muddy. They're entitled to their religious beliefs. But again, what does that have to do with what's going on in this article? It's not their fault that their customers are breaking traffic laws to get to their drive thru. That's on the drivers, not on the company. The company has done nothing wrong in this instance.

Muddy
03-18-2022, 07:20 PM
They're not politicians, Muddy. They're entitled to their religious beliefs. But again, what does that have to do with what's going on in this article? It's not their fault that their customers are breaking traffic laws to get to their drive thru. That's on the drivers, not on the company. The company has done nothing wrong in this instance.

I call them hate-fil-a because they support anti-lgbt groups which is discrimination. They also have their right to be bigots and I have my right to point it out. And yes, it is their fault that people are in the streets. They have erected a business that exceeds capacity and spills onto the street. Whether zoning got it wrong or not someone needs to rectify the situation or shut down that place. It's not the cities problem to manage their success. it's my opinion.. The place appears to be a public nuisance. I'm sorry. :2cents:

DemonGeminiX
03-18-2022, 07:46 PM
I call them hate-fil-a because they support anti-lgbt groups which is discrimination. They also have their right to be bigots and I have my right to point it out. And yes, it is their fault that people are in the streets. They have erected a business that exceeds capacity and spills onto the street. Whether zoning got it wrong or not someone needs to rectify the situation or shut down that place. It's not the cities problem to manage their success. it's my opinion.. The place appears to be a public nuisance. I'm sorry. :2cents:

Fine. You have a right to your feelings, but I have a right to tell you that you're feelings have no bearing on the issue at hand. If you don't like their politics then don't eat there.

And no, it's not their fault that people are in the streets. They erected a business that's probably the same exact size as every other business they've erected in every location in every state across the USA. I don't hear anybody else bitching at those other locations about people being in the streets. How were they supposed to know that something like this would happen at this specific location? Their zoning and licensing were legally obtained or they wouldn't be operating. If somebody needs to deal with it, it's law enforcement because the people are violating traffic laws. The law needs to be enforced and those violators need to be ticketed. It's not the city's or state's right to punish them for their success when they're not enforcing the law that would actually solve the problem. It's not the business's fault that law enforcement won't enforce traffic laws.

I see your hateful :2cents: and raise you :2cents: coupled with rational logic. :nana:

Muddy
03-18-2022, 07:48 PM
Fine. You have a right to your feelings, but I have a right to tell you that you're feelings have no bearing on the issue at hand. If you don't like their politics then don't eat there.

And no, it's not their fault that people are in the streets. They erected a business that's probably the same exact size as every other business they've erected in every location in every state across the USA. I don't hear anybody else bitching at those other locations about people being in the streets. How were they supposed to know that something like this would happen at this specific location? Their zoning and licensing were legally obtained or they wouldn't be operating. If somebody needs to deal with it, it's law enforcement because the people are violating traffic laws. The law needs to be enforced and those violators need to be ticketed. It's not the city's or state's right to punish them for their success when they're not enforcing the law that would actually solve the problem. It's not the business's fault that law enforcement won't enforce traffic laws.

I see your hateful :2cents: and raise you :2cents: coupled with rational logic. :nana:

Do you have any of these things near you? They are a friggin' nightmare... You would think they would plan ahead for these things at this point.. It's really getting ridiculous.. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
03-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Do you have any of these things near you? They are a friggin' nightmare... You would think they would plan ahead for these things at this point.. It's really getting ridiculous.. :lol:

I've got one in town. And a Popeyes. I guess I don't see the traffic issues they're describing here because we're a small town. But you could probably say the same thing about any and every fast food restaurant, given the popularity. I swear they put our Hardees in a bad location, but I just try to avoid the drive thru when it's slammed. I don't wanna be taking up all kinds of space belonging to thru traffic. I know I'm not the only one that does that either. I just go somewhere else or wait to go back when the drive thru traffic lightens up. It usually doesn't take that long.

Muddy
03-18-2022, 08:07 PM
I've got one in town. And a Popeyes. I guess I don't see the traffic issues they're describing here because we're a small town. But you could probably say the same thing about any and every fast food restaurant, given the popularity. I swear they put our Hardees in a bad location, but I just try to avoid the drive thru when it's slammed. I don't wanna be taking up all kinds of space belonging to thru traffic. I know I'm not the only one that does that either. I just go somewhere else or wait to go back when the drive thru traffic lightens up. It usually doesn't take that long.

These people are taking up a lane of traffic out on the street..! There's a point where it becomes an issue.. We've said enough.. We understand each other.. Thanks for the civil convo. :thumbsup:

RBP
03-19-2022, 03:54 PM

I must be grumpy because you sound like a whiny little bitch. I know, I know, that fucking salvation army is mean and hateful. But I bet you put a few bucks in the kettle, didn't you... it's okay... Jesus forgives you.

Muddy
03-19-2022, 05:10 PM
:lol:

RBP
03-19-2022, 07:13 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2022, 03:38 PM
They need to do that for the one by me, they are very popular, but the line is so crazy it takes up so much of the parking lot you cant park to get into the other stores, its fucking crazy. You can only shop on Sundays :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2022, 04:29 PM
They need to do that for the one by me, they are very popular, but the line is so crazy it takes up so much of the parking lot you cant park to get into the other stores, its fucking crazy. You can only shop on Sundays :lol:

It's the same way at most of the ones near me. To be fair though, Starbucks is just as bad if not worse with their drive-thru traffic.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2022, 04:42 PM
We have multiple starbucks but only 1 chick-fil-a , In N Out is pretty bad as well, Starbucks not so much. But the I N Out is located in a proper position to not crowd the parking lot so much. Also in a much bigger parking lot, they are in with a Sam Club, Wal-Mart and Khols so its massive, chick-fil-a is in with Trader Joes :lol

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2022, 07:03 PM
We have multiple starbucks but only 1 chick-fil-a , In N Out is pretty bad as well, Starbucks not so much. But the I N Out is located in a proper position to not crowd the parking lot so much. Also in a much bigger parking lot, they are in with a Sam Club, Wal-Mart and Khols so its massive, chick-fil-a is in with Trader Joes :lol

Not here when it comes to Starbucks. They almost always have these incredibly long lines and the drive thru lines wrap around into the street or the driving lanes in the shopping places where they're located. The Chick-fil-A closest to me is always busy, but they have the parking lot design done pretty well where the drive thru traffic doesn't bother anyone except the people that parked in the actual lot to go eat inside.

deebakes
03-22-2022, 12:26 AM
one chick fil a here and it is always nuts, fortunately it shares a parking lot with savers (like a goodwill) so people just walk between the two