PDA

View Full Version : Irish people let thoughts be known over 'cringe' Bono poem on Ukraine recited by Nancy Pelosi at White House

Teh One Who Knocks
03-21-2022, 11:03 AM
By Marita Moloney, Reporter - The Irish Mirror

https://i.imgur.com/9QYjCFN.png

A poem dedicated to Ukraine penned by U2 frontman Bono was read out to attendees at a St Patrick's Day event at the White House on Thursday.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi recited the poem which referenced the conflict as well as comparing Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to St Patrick.

Before reading out the piece of writing, Ms Pelosi said Bono "has been a very Irish part of our lives".

The poem reads: "Oh St Patrick, he drove out the snakes with his prayers, but that's not all it takes,

"With the smoke that symbolises an evil that arises and hides in your heart as it breaks,

"And the evil risen from the darkness that lives in some men,

"But in sorrow and fear, that's when saints can appear, to drive out those snakes once again,

"And they struggle for us to be free from the psycho in this human family,

"Ireland's sorrow and pain is now the Ukraine,

"And St Patrick's name now Zelenskyy."

Ms Pelosi then proceeded to welcome the Riverdance 25th anniversary show with dancers performing at the White House event.

A clip of Bono's poem being recited has since gone viral, with many Irish people "cringing" over the "embarrassing" scenes.

One person said: "Ukraine has suffered enough... They don't deserve this."

A second wrote: "I think Nancy Pelosi and Bono both owe the people of Ukraine and Ireland an apology."

A third said: "#StPatricksDay or Halloween? This is truly frightening. #PaddyWhackery."

A fourth joked: "Throw me a funeral, I am deceased."

A fifth commented: "Help. I think my cringe buffer overflowed."

Another person said: "Gonna need Bono to come up with another ACHTUNG BABY to make up for this."

Someone else commented: "I am howling. I literally cannot stop laughing. There are tears streaming down my face. What a generous and merciful god to send us such a thing."

While one added: "'The Ukraine.' Jesus and Seamus Heaney wept."

Another said: "This sham greening in the USA for #StPatricksDay is beyond embarrassing. A total revamp is called for, and an end to the excruciating forelock tugging…"

One person joked: "When will Ireland’s suffering end? Has the rest of the world not done enough?!"

Someone else stated: "I wholeheartedly support Ukraine. This, however, is not the right gesture at all. Very cringeworthy. Make it stop!"

While another simply wrote: "Embarrassed to be Irish."

lost in melb.
03-21-2022, 02:15 PM
Who cares what the haters think :dunno:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2022, 03:17 PM
gawd I hate her

lost in melb.
03-21-2022, 04:04 PM
gawd I hate her

But Bono :(

(Who cares about pelosi)

PorkChopSandwiches
03-21-2022, 04:47 PM
I also hate that cunt

lost in melb.
03-22-2022, 12:44 AM
I also hate that cunt

In the name of love, what are you saying :(

lost in melb.
03-22-2022, 12:51 AM
So who else here banged out U2 on their discman/Walkman/plasticky stereo as a teen. Be honest :popcorn:

KevinD
03-22-2022, 01:42 AM
Not me. I was never a fan of U2.

deebakes
03-22-2022, 02:21 AM
i was never a fan, seemed like it was a girl thing

KevinD
03-23-2022, 01:05 AM
Speaking of girl bands...
I saw Journey 2 times back in the day. Guess why. They sucked live. I heard a journey cover band in the early 90's on the beach that sounded much better.

lost in melb.
03-23-2022, 01:34 AM
Not me. I was never a fan of U2.

i was never a fan, seemed like it was a girl thing

:ladeda:

lost in melb.
03-23-2022, 01:38 AM
Speaking of girl bands...
I saw Journey 2 times back in the day. Guess why. They sucked live. I heard a journey cover band in the early 90's on the beach that sounded much better.

Well here's my U2 Live story.

It was a strict alcohol-free event. Bono asked for a beer from the crowd and, understandably, not a single person produced one. He kept pleading and whining:"will nobody give me a beer?" So he cracked it*had a hissy fit and they finished the concert early. The crowd went wild and started booing and security had to usher us out.

*could be in Australian colloquialism. It means to lose ones temper

Muddy
03-23-2022, 01:38 AM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-23-2022, 03:52 PM
So who else here banged out U2 on their discman/Walkman/plasticky stereo as a teen. Be honest :popcorn:

I used to listen to Joshua Tree, but U2 got so overplayed out here, and the more I got to experience Bono, the more I grew a hatred for the band