PDA

View Full Version : Police race to save man bitten by own pet snake, one of deadliest in the world

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2022, 11:19 AM
Will Gonzalez - WRIC 8 ABC News

https://i.imgur.com/zUpgQIZl.jpeg

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — A man has been treated with antivenom at the VCU Medical Center after being bitten by his pet viper.

According to Virginia State Police, the man was admitted to the VCU Medical Center Saturday night after being bitten by his pet snake, an African Pit Viper, also called a Gaboon Viper, which is one of the ten deadliest snakes in the world.

The man was given an antivenom treatment from the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. but another dose was needed in order to save his life. The Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center in Virginia Beach provided 35 doses of antivenom for emergency transport to Richmond and a VSP Officer brought them to the VCU Medical Center in time for one to be administered.

“Anti-venom is maintained at the Virginia Aquarium as a safety precaution for staff as the Aquarium cares for exotic, non-native species. This is common practice for zoos and aquariums that care for exotic animals as exotic anti-venoms are not commonly found in general hospital settings,” said Mackenzie Di Nardo, Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center’s Public Relations Manager. “A supply of anti-venom remains at the Virginia Aquarium to continue operations safely.”

The man’s current condition in unknown.

According to Encyclopedia Britannica, Gaboon Vipers can grow to nearly 7 feet and weigh up to 18 pounds. They are extremely venomous but typically docile.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2022, 11:19 AM
Why is it even legal to have a pet like that? :wha:

DemonGeminiX
03-28-2022, 01:55 PM
Because freedom, baby!

lost in melb.
03-28-2022, 02:16 PM
:meh:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2022, 02:35 PM
Because freedom, baby!

They should have just let him die. :dunno:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-28-2022, 02:54 PM
You would think he would keep antivenom on hand just for this scenario

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2022, 02:55 PM
You would think he would keep antivenom on hand just for this scenario

I think most antivenom, especially the more exotic kinds, are SUPER expensive.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2022, 02:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ttyGFR7.png

lost in melb.
03-28-2022, 03:02 PM
I think most antivenom, especially the more exotic kinds, are SUPER expensive.

Plus, I think it has a use by date.

deebakes
03-29-2022, 12:46 AM
muddy? :?