PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Strange New Worlds | Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2022, 05:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxuyzk5DUFc

Teh One Who Knocks
03-29-2022, 05:32 PM
Now THIS Star Trek show I am actually excited about. I just hope they don't fuck it up like they did with the potential of Discovery before it started airing. Starts up in May and is supposed to be more episodic like TOS and TNG were, not some huge season long arc that is boring and disappointing like Discovery.

lost in melb.
03-29-2022, 07:34 PM
I'll watch it when I have sound

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2022, 12:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXfnWoUCQYo

Teh One Who Knocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQ3CbkTHwk

Teh One Who Knocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NaUvyEuOIc

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2022, 12:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wgotRQHRQY

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2022, 12:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CeznC57pJU

lost in melb.
04-01-2022, 12:44 PM
It looks really good :dunno:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2022, 12:53 PM
It looks really good :dunno:

So far....I'm trying to not get my hopes up TOO HIGH, but I am actually really hopeful.

lost in melb.
04-01-2022, 03:23 PM
So far....I'm trying to not get my hopes up TOO HIGH, but I am actually really hopeful.

I wonder if they've finally realised that woke is a niche market :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
04-01-2022, 08:14 PM
I wonder if they've finally realised that woke is a niche market :-kUnfortunately I'm sure there will be some woke-ism involved, but I just hope they don't overdo it.

And the chick playing Nurse Chapel is hot.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-04-2022, 10:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo

Teh One Who Knocks
04-06-2022, 10:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_xm0uJkb5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr35ve4x9SQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXMF8RV6JMo

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2022, 11:02 AM
FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, THERE WILL BE DISCUSSION ABOUT THE SHOW AND THERE WILL BE SPOILERS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2022, 11:04 AM
I went into the episode very hopeful because I have actually been looking forward to it since it was announced, even knowing the train wreck that NuTrek has been (although I have only watched Discovery, I am not watching Picard until I have finished Voyager). My biggest takeaway so far is that I didn't hate it.

I liked it for the most part, but there were some things that really bothered me. First, for the "big secret" that the existence of Discovery was supposed to be, they sure did bring it up a lot. Do we need to hear that Spock misses his sister? Did they really need to base the whole episode around Discovery going into the future? They had a shuttle that was named the Stamets? Really? Second, I could have done with the whole romantic thing and almost sex scene between Spock and T'Pring. And I suppose we will see a lot more of their relationship only because there is such a disconnect between what their relationship was as shown in the SNW pilot and how it had devolved into what it was in Amok Time. Third, are they retconning the Gorn now? If that much was known about the Gorn and what happened to La'an (since it was obviously in her file), why was Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise acting like they had never seen or heard of the Gorn in Arena?

I guess those are mostly minor and just what I have off the top of my head right now, but I definitely think the series has potential and I am still hopeful going forward. It's definitely a big step up from the dumpster fire that is STD.

DemonGeminiX
05-06-2022, 12:49 PM
Just tell me if it's woke crap. I like Anson Mount. He's got some serious geek cred.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2022, 01:06 PM
It was light on the woke compared to Dumbscovery. Like I said, the series has potential and I am cautiously optimistic going forward.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2022, 01:32 PM
A few more minor criticisms....I think they still made the Enterprise look "too" futuristic. I think it's been been updated even more since we last saw it in Dumbscovery season 2. You can modernize the look while still keeping the same aesthetic, but I think they went a little too far. Especially looking at the bridge and sickbay and the transporter room. And the addition of an "emergency transporter" in sickbay? They didn't have things like that for roughly 100 years until you get to the TNG/DS9/VOY era, as far as we were shown from TOS, there was only one transporter room on a Constitution class starship.

I hope that Nurse Chapel isn't going to be used as a comedic thing because that will get old in a hurry because she will become annoying. She's definitely hot though.

And I don't know how major of a character he will be going forward, but Capt. April (now shown as Admiral April in SNW), who was the very first captain of the Enterprise when she was launched (according to canon), was show as a white person in TAS (which is considered canon). In SNW, he has been cast as a black person.

lost in melb.
05-07-2022, 05:01 AM
Yet to watch it ...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2022, 10:06 AM
Yet to watch it ...

:waiting:

DemonGeminiX
05-11-2022, 10:49 AM
I watched episode 1. It was alright. I couldn't get the Gorn point out of my head when the security officer brought it up.

DemonGeminiX
05-11-2022, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about Pike seeing his future and knowing what's in store for him in 10 years.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2022, 11:11 AM
I watched episode 1. It was alright. I couldn't get the Gorn point out of my head when the security officer brought it up.

My point about them retconning the Gorn? About how first contact with the Gorn was supposed to be in the TOS episode Arena.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2022, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about Pike seeing his future and knowing what's in store for him in 10 years.

I'm okay with it in principal, but if they keep harping on it, it's gonna be an issue.

DemonGeminiX
05-11-2022, 11:20 AM
My point about them retconning the Gorn? About how first contact with the Gorn was supposed to be in the TOS episode Arena.

Yeah.

I'm okay with it in principal, but if they keep harping on it, it's gonna be an issue.

I just watched the Discovery crystal scene on Youtube. I've never watched Discovery, so I had no idea what they were talking about when they were referencing it.

lost in melb.
05-11-2022, 11:25 AM
:waiting:

You know, I'll have to stop watching Picard to fit it in :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2022, 11:26 AM
You know, I'll have to stop watching Picard to fit it in :-k

Picard is over for the season :-s

Side note, I'm on the final season of Voyager and will start Picard once I'm done with it.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2022, 11:27 AM
Yeah.

The show runner for NuTrek has pretty much come out and said he doesn't respect cannon, one of the main reasons he took the "prequel" Discovery show into the 32nd century, so he wouldn't be bound by having to follow cannon :roll:

I just watched the Discovery crystal scene on Youtube. I've never watched Discovery, so I had no idea what they were talking about when they were referencing it.

Sorry you had to witness anything Dumbscovery, but it least it does give you the context.

DemonGeminiX
05-11-2022, 11:31 AM
Give it to me straight, should I watch Discovery, or should I stay far away?

Nevermind. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2022, 11:46 AM
Give it to me straight, should I watch Discovery, or should I stay far away?

Nevermind. :lol:

*sigh*

It's not a good show, really because of the writing and the in your face SJW issues they push. And they make the main character, Michael Burnham, basically Space Jesus because she can do anything and do no wrong. She is the prototypical Mary Sue. What the show suffers from the most aside from the wokeness is the bad writing. It's like they start the show with no idea how the season is going to end and they wing it as they go. Plus each season revolves around something completely cataclysmic. They don't develop the characters very well (4 seasons in and I would struggle to tell you the names of the bridge crew) and they flout cannon all the time.

I mean it's like watching a train wreck, but you can't look away. I've watched every season because I guess I like to punish myself, but it is Star Trek and it's in cannon now, even though I hate that part. But if you have nothing else to watch, maybe try watching the first season, but keep your expectations EXTREMELY low.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-11-2022, 05:04 PM
Okay, another nitpick that bothered me from the pilot :lol: It goes into the "wokening" of NuTrek. It's like other than Pike, they want as few white men as possible. Chief of security (female), helmsman (female), Captain (now Admiral) April (black man), and the other one I noticed was Transporter Chief Lt. Kyle. He was a white guy from Australia in TOS and now he's been 're-imagined' as a gay Asian dude.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2022, 10:41 AM
*sigh*

Why do they always feel the need to make NuTrek too Star Wars-y? It's a fucking Constitution class starship, not a single seat X-Wing fighter. Not in the history of good sci-fi do giant ass ships move like a tiny individual fighter.

DemonGeminiX
05-13-2022, 06:28 PM
I was thinking "she's a leaf on the wind" during that sequence. Other than that, it kinda felt like a TOS style episode.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2022, 09:30 PM
No, they definitely have the feel of classic Trek down and it's head and shoulders above Dumbscovery, but the writing could be a little better (the helmsman saying "I'm on it" instead of "Aye Captain" when given an order, it's Starfleet FFS) and they should have toned down the look of the interior a bit but for the most part, this is making me very cautiously optimistic for the series.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2022, 10:37 AM
*sigh*

So in the third episode we find out that La'an is definitely related to Khan and now we're supposed to believe that Spock had no clue about this at all by the time of Space Seed some 5 or 6 years later in the time line? :-s

:facepalm:

Canon? We don't need no stinking canon!

DemonGeminiX
05-20-2022, 12:35 PM
*sigh*

So in the third episode we find out that La'an is definitely related to Khan and now we're supposed to believe that Spock had no clue about this at all by the time of Space Seed some 5 or 6 years later in the time line? :-s

:facepalm:

Canon? We don't need no stinking canon!

:hand:

Spock was stuck on the planet. There was no way he could know. Cause you know, there's no written log of it anywhere and everyone keeps secrets under Pike's tenure as Captain.

And Uhura would know too.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-20-2022, 02:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, so far out of all the NuTrek I've watched (haven't watched Picard yet), this show is trying, and I appreciate the fact that this is the closest to classic Trek they've come, but they are still letting NuTrek bleed through. Like why MUST every person have a tragic backstory? It's like the show's writers grew up only watching shows like "Party of Five" where everything must be depressing and tragic. M'Benga has his terminally sick daughter trapped in the transporter buffer? Really? And just because he said so, they just ignored updating the medical transporter before leaving the dry dock?

DemonGeminiX
05-20-2022, 06:07 PM
The episode could have been a really cool haunted house in space episode if they played it right, but it fell kinda short.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2022, 10:21 AM
The last two episodes, especially this last one, are the best two episodes in the series so far. Maybe the show is finding its footing.

DemonGeminiX
06-10-2022, 04:13 PM
A brilliant kid being used as a battery. :tup:

Pike kinda hesitated when the alien chick came onto him. You know Kirk would've been in that bedroom in 1.2 seconds flat. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2022, 12:26 PM
It was interesting to see the 'good guys' lose. I guess this episode was adapted from a short story entitled The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Le Guin. And with this episode, it felt like something the writers of TOS would have written a screenplay for TOS. It felt very Trek.

And if Kirk watched them kill the kid, maybe he would have issues General Order 24 :-k

Godfather
06-14-2022, 06:25 AM
Don't get me wrong, so far out of all the NuTrek I've watched (haven't watched Picard yet), this show is trying, and I appreciate the fact that this is the closest to classic Trek they've come, but they are still letting NuTrek bleed through. Like why MUST every person have a tragic backstory? It's like the show's writers grew up only watching shows like "Party of Five" where everything must be depressing and tragic. M'Benga has his terminally sick daughter trapped in the transporter buffer? Really? And just because he said so, they just ignored updating the medical transporter before leaving the dry dock?

I might just check this show out then. With all the new Star Trek shit I've just had little or no interest because they're trying to be Marvel or some shit, when I think we all loved Star Trek for being an adventure, exploration, philosophical, human, mysterious... with some occasional action mixed in. Sounds like maybe this show is getting back to some more of those themes though? I'll give it a go.

lost in melb.
06-14-2022, 07:32 AM
I've started. Kind of surprised that they went with yet another Kirk Pike and Spock menage.

DemonGeminiX
06-14-2022, 07:44 AM
I've started. Kind of surprised that they went with yet another Kirk Pike and Spock menage.

Why? It's cannon that Spock served under Pike. It was cannon long before TNG. It was a pretty big deal for a few episodes in TOS.

lost in melb.
06-14-2022, 07:58 AM
Why? It's cannon that Spock served under Pike. It was cannon long before TNG. It was a pretty big deal for a few episodes in TOS.

I guess there's an original slant that it's pike and not Kirk. The latter was well covered with the trilogy that came out last decade. I guess Pike & Spock was covered too but thar was a very long time ago.

DemonGeminiX
06-17-2022, 12:28 AM
And now we have Sybok

Teh One Who Knocks
06-17-2022, 11:17 AM
I might just check this show out then. With all the new Star Trek shit I've just had little or no interest because they're trying to be Marvel or some shit, when I think we all loved Star Trek for being an adventure, exploration, philosophical, human, mysterious... with some occasional action mixed in. Sounds like maybe this show is getting back to some more of those themes though? I'll give it a go.

It's definitely getting better. It took a few episodes to find it's footing, but the last 3 episodes have been really good.

I guess there's an original slant that it's pike and not Kirk. The latter was well covered with the trilogy that came out last decade. I guess Pike & Spock was covered too but thar was a very long time ago.

DGX is exactly right, Spock served approximately 10 years under Pike before becoming 1st Officer on Kirk's Enterprise. And as far as Pike and Spock being covered, it was only in 3 episodes. The original pilot episode "The Cage" which never aired at the time, and then in the two part episode "The Menagerie" which used footage from "The Cage" and shows what happened to Pike on Talos IV. So going just off "The Menagerie", you barely know anything about Pike's Enterprise and his relationship with Spock.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-17-2022, 11:25 AM
And now we have Sybok

Another good episode, maybe not quite as good as the previous two, but still a pretty good one IMO. A couple of small annoyances like Chapel using the slang term "ProTip" when talking to Spock. The writers need to stop using 21st century slang in a show that takes place in the 23rd century :shakehead:

Cracked me up seeing the pirate ship having a steering wheel :rofl:

And it's interesting that they decided to bring Sybok into the show. This is actually one where it could work without breaking canon, since Spock (so far) has only told Nurse Chapel about him, who wasn't aboard the Enterprise in STV where the Sybok story takes place.

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2022, 09:57 PM
:lol:

I bet the cast had fun with this one.

lost in melb.
06-24-2022, 09:15 AM
I'm up to ep 4 now

Teh One Who Knocks
06-24-2022, 11:08 AM
:lol:

I bet the cast had fun with this one.

Pike as a coward was hilarious :lol:

Can't say that I'm sad that they finally wrapped up the M'Benga's kid in the transporter buffer story line.

I'm up to ep 4 now

:tapfoot:

DemonGeminiX
07-01-2022, 12:59 AM
:rip:

Did not see that coming. I liked Hemmer. I guess that opens the door for Scotty.

Still, cool little homage to Alien/Aliens.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-01-2022, 11:19 AM
:rip:

Did not see that coming. I liked Hemmer. I guess that opens the door for Scotty.

Still, cool little homage to Alien/Aliens.

That was a HUGE surprise. Sure, he hasn't been in every episode, but he was built in to be a major member of the crew. And unless they retcon when Scotty started his deployment on the Enterprise, it's still a few years before he's supposed to show up.

And not just Alien/Aliens, but also Predator with the infrared vision.

lost in melb.
07-01-2022, 10:23 PM
Just finished 5. I wonder if the nurse likes Spock? :-k

The episodes are great.

DemonGeminiX
07-01-2022, 11:45 PM
Just finished 5. I wonder if the nurse likes Spock? :-k

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that, because Chapel and Spock aren't anything in TOS. I guess they're just trying to inject some more drama elements into the show.

DemonGeminiX
07-08-2022, 12:29 AM
Is it just me or does the dude that played Kirk (albeit very poorly, imo), look more like Jeffrey Hunter (the original Pike from the 60s)?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-08-2022, 11:05 AM
Is it just me or does the dude that played Kirk (albeit very poorly, imo), look more like Jeffrey Hunter (the original Pike from the 60s)?

Agreed on the look, for sure more like Hunter than Shatner.

This may have been the best episode of the series so far. They did an excellent job and they really did a good job with the way they treated 'Balance of Terror'. I'm on the fence with Paul Wesley as Captain Kirk. He is definitely no Shatner and he has huge shoes to fill. I mean Shatner IS Captain Kirk and has been Kirk since before I was even born. TOS is and always will be my favorite Trek series so that's why I'm harsh with NuTrek playing fast and loose with canon and the rules. So as soon as I saw NuKirk on screen yesterday, I tried to keep an open mind and I really wanted to be able to accept Wesley as Kirk but...I dunno. New fans of Trek aren't going to care, but anyone older than 30 will probably have a hard time with the recasting of Kirk. It would have made it a little better if they could have found someone that looked more like Shatner.

I have more thoughts on the finale that I'll get to later.

DemonGeminiX
07-08-2022, 11:13 AM
He didn't have Shatner's demeanor, he didn't have Kirk's swagger. It's like picking Don Rickles to be an Elvis Impersonator.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-08-2022, 11:18 AM
He didn't have Shatner's demeanor, he didn't have Kirk's swagger. It's like picking Don Rickles to be an Elvis Impersonator.

I can cut them a little slack if they rectify this the next time we see Kirk. What we saw was an alternate timeline, so that Kirk hadn't taken command of the Enterprise because Pike never retired, so maybe that played into how Kirk behaved. That will remain to be seen though. I definitely didn't like the way Kirk was characterized as not ever wanting to follow the rules when Pike was talking to Kirk's brother. During TOS, Kirk would bend the rules when needed, but for the most part, Kirk was always by the book in TOS. Again, that was an alternate timeline, so hopefully they fix that.

One thing I loved...we heard Scotty off screen when he was helping Spock with the weapons systems repair. :cheers:

DemonGeminiX
07-08-2022, 11:30 AM
I gotta go watch that TOS episode now.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-08-2022, 11:33 AM
I gotta go watch that TOS episode now.

It is definitely one of the Top 5 episodes from TOS.

lost in melb.
07-16-2022, 08:29 PM
I can cut them a little slack if they rectify this the next time we see Kirk. What we saw was an alternate timeline, so that Kirk hadn't taken command of the Enterprise because Pike never retired, so maybe that played into how Kirk behaved. That will remain to be seen though. I definitely didn't like the way Kirk was characterized as not ever wanting to follow the rules when Pike was talking to Kirk's brother. During TOS, Kirk would bend the rules when needed, but for the most part, Kirk was always by the book in TOS. Again, that was an alternate timeline, so hopefully they fix that.

One thing I loved...we heard Scotty off screen when he was helping Spock with the weapons systems repair. :cheers:

Kirk was played up as gung-ho in the movie triology, too. Granted he was a younger Kirk then.

lost in melb.
07-16-2022, 08:30 PM
One thing, re. episode 10 and the timeline, doesn't war with Romulans happen in TOS anyhow?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-16-2022, 09:43 PM
One thing, re. episode 10 and the timeline, doesn't war with Romulans happen in TOS anyhow?No, the war between the Federation and the Romulan Empire was fought about 100 years before the TOS episode Balance of Terror.

If you haven't seen that episode in awhile, it's definitely worth watching again after seeing the SNW finale.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2023, 12:31 PM
Not sure how I felt about the new episode :-k

lost in melb.
06-18-2023, 12:36 AM
About to watch...

lost in melb.
06-18-2023, 01:42 AM
About to watch...

I suspect a few Discovery staff migrated over. Felt a bit rushed and jumbled.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2023, 12:16 PM
Glad to see that they could fit in a social justice episode :rolleyes:

lost in melb.
07-02-2023, 02:01 AM
Glad to see that they could fit in a social justice episode :rolleyes:

Ep2? I was moved :sad::sad:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-05-2023, 01:58 PM
Strange New Worlds - season 2, episode 3 :meh:

I liked it up until

French Happy Potter woman and Romulan junkie :wtf:

Two things were true at once with this episode. It was good and it sucked.

The good - I liked the idea of the episode even though the time travel/split timeline plot is starting to get a little stale at this point. It's getting lazy on the part of the writers.

The awful - just more of them actively destroying established canon of the show. It was bad enough with them having a crew member with the last name of Noonien-Singh and adding that to the backstory of the crew of the Enterprise, but they expanded on it now and it's like everybody knows about Khan now even though when Kirk and the Enterprise encounter Khan and the SS Botany Bay a few years into the future, nobody knows who he is and there are barely any records about the time period survived. This is especially egregious because Spock is serving under Pike and knows all about it, but when he (Khan) is encountered in the future with Kirk, he knows nothing about it. They also made them able to fit into the past far too easily and they were far too comfortable using early 21st century tech (including the way they drove a car) coming from the 23rd century.

It pisses me off to no end that these new writers couldn't care less about canon and are destroying everything that came before them.

DemonGeminiX
07-05-2023, 02:39 PM
:nono:

It's a different universe.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-05-2023, 02:42 PM
:nono:

It's a different universe.

No, it's not. The showrunners and the writers swear this is a pure prequel in the prime timeline.

lost in melb.
07-05-2023, 06:32 PM
Two things were true at once with this episode. It was good and it sucked.

The good - I liked the idea of the episode even though the time travel/split timeline plot is starting to get a little stale at this point. It's getting lazy on the part of the writers.

The awful - just more of them actively destroying established canon of the show. It was bad enough with them having a crew member with the last name of Noonien-Singh and adding that to the backstory of the crew of the Enterprise, but they expanded on it now and it's like everybody knows about Khan now even though when Kirk and the Enterprise encounter Khan and the SS Botany Bay a few years into the future, nobody knows who he is and there are barely any records about the time period survived. This is especially egregious because Spock is serving under Pike and knows all about it, but when he (Khan) is encountered in the future with Kirk, he knows nothing about it. They also made them able to fit into the past far too easily and they were far too comfortable using early 21st century tech (including the way they drove a car) coming from the 23rd century.

It pisses me off to no end that these new writers couldn't care less about canon and are destroying everything that came before them.

Good recount of Star trek lore. I didn't realize that anyone else knew about Khan apart from her (23c Noonien-Singh). Wasn't she sworn to secrecy at the end of the ep.- never to reveal anything about her time travel?