PDA

View Full Version : YouTuber who jumped from plane purposefully caused crash to record it, FAA letter says

Teh One Who Knocks
04-22-2022, 11:09 AM
By Phil Helsel and Tim Stelloh - NBC News

https://i.imgur.com/VlCjNAy.jpg

A YouTuber who parachuted from a small airplane over California mountains last year after claiming engine trouble purposely caused the aircraft to crash so he could record it, the Federal Aviation Administration said in a recent letter.

The April 11 letter to Trevor Jacob says Jacob’s private pilot certificate, or license, has been revoked.

“On November 24, 2021, you demonstrated a lack of care, judgment, and responsibility by choosing to jump out of an aircraft solely so you could record the footage of the crash,” the FAA's emergency order of revocation letter says.

The Taylorcraft BL-65 single-engine plane left Lompoc in Santa Barbara County that day and crashed in Los Padres National Forest.

The New York Times reported the FAA letter Wednesday.

The video, titled “I Crashed My Plane,” was posted Dec. 23 on Jacob’s YouTube channel. Questions about whether the crash was intentional were raised and cited in media reports and aviation websites.

In it, Jacob, the pilot and sole occupant, is flying the single-engine plane when the video appears to show the propeller stop spinning. Jacob makes comments, several of which are bleeped, including one about an engine’s being out.

He then opens the door and jumps from the plane, recording himself falling and using a parachute. Cameras attached to the now-empty aircraft show it crashing into the mountains.

Jacob did not immediately respond to messages sent to an email address attached to the YouTube page late Wednesday or to messages sent to what appears to be his Instagram account and to a website that appears to be related to him.

An attorney listed in the FAA letter as apparently representing Jacob said he could not comment on Jacob’s affairs.

Jacob said in a statement in January that "I’ll happily say I did not purposely crash my plane for views on YouTube," The New York Times reported at the time.

Jacob has advertised himself on his YouTube channel as an adventurer and an Olympic athlete and the founder of an adventure-themed website.

He competed for Team USA in snowboarding at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, and came in ninth place in men’s snowboardcross.

deebakes
04-23-2022, 03:30 AM
fucking idiot

lost in melb.
04-23-2022, 06:06 PM
YouTubers :smh: