PDA

View Full Version : Effort to recall embattled Los Angeles DA to come down to the wire

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2022, 10:39 AM
By Matt Leach , Jon Michael Raasch | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/QtwOm2pl.png

LOS ANGELES – A leading voice in the movement to oust Los Angeles County’s top prosecutor told Fox News the race to collect the number of signatures required to put a recall question on the ballot will come down to the wire.

"I believe that we will get the required signatures to get the recall of [District Attorney] George Gascon on the ballot," Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney Jon Hatami said. "However, it is going to be a photo finish."

"It will be very close," he added. "It is going to require the entire movement to keep working together until the last day, which is something I and all of us intend to do."

This is the second recall attempt Gascon has faced since he took office in December 2020. A 2021 attempt didn't gather enough signatures by the filing deadline to go to a vote.

"We have a district attorney right now who's causing havoc and mayhem in Los Angeles," Hatami told Fox News. "He's hurting public safety here in Los Angeles."

"His policies are making it more dangerous for individuals," he continued.

Gascon’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

The recall campaign announced it has gathered roughly 350,000 signatures to date. Organizers need to collect 566,857 signatures total – 10% of registered voters in the county – by the July 6 deadline.

Hatami, a child abuse prosecutor with 16-years of experience in the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office, has been vocal about his support for booting Gascon.

"I think probably 99% of the people in Los Angeles would make a better DA than George Gascon," Hatami told Fox News.

After riding a wave of progressive candidates campaigning to head some of the nation's busiest DA offices, Gascon ousted his predecessor, Jackie Lacey, and immediately issued a series of directives that have come under heavy scrutiny.

Some include ordering his deputy district attorneys to stop seeking enhancement allegations, which can significantly extend prison sentences, not seeking the death penalty and barring prosecutors from charging juveniles as adults, regardless of the severity of the allegations.

https://i.imgur.com/wFnjiG6l.jpg

"I had heard about George Gascon and the type of person he was," Hatami said. "But I guess in my heart, I thought … somebody who was a DA in San Francisco, who was a police officer for 30 years, he wouldn't do this."

The directive related to juveniles has since been modified after the case of Hannah Tubbs, a 26-year-old transgender woman who at 17 sexually assaulted a 10-year-old girl. Tubbs was sentenced to two years in a youth facility and was caught on a jailhouse phone call bragging about the light punishment.

"It broke me … to give somebody who molested a child six months to two years. It's heartless," said Hatami, who told Fox News the victim’s family had reached out to him on the case. "He is not a good person. This is not political. He may say it is, but it’s not."

Violent crime is up 7.2% from this time last year, according to Los Angeles Police Department data. Total arrests are down 15.1%.

More than 9 of 10 Los Angeles prosecutors supported an effort to recall Gascon, the Los Angeles Association of Deputy District Attorneys reported in February.

During a press conference in December, Gascon defended his progressive policies.

"Rather than turning every tragedy into a political football and blame game, I ask that those people please join us," said Gascon. "We can do better, we will go further if we all work together."

Despite working in the same building as Gascon in downtown Los Angeles, Hatami told Fox News he has never met his boss.

"I don't know how to describe the working relationship because most bosses that I've had have taken the time to come out and meet their employees," Hatami said. "I'm one of the top child abuse prosecutors here in Los Angeles, and George Gascon has never tried one single case, and so you would think somebody like that would come down here and meet with me."

"I’ve publicly said I’ll debate him, if he wants to do that," Hatami continued. "My door is always open."

PorkChopSandwiches
05-02-2022, 04:15 PM
This HAS to happen

Muddy
05-02-2022, 05:03 PM
Lets recall George Gascon, mtha FKA !! :x

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2022, 11:39 AM
By Louis Casiano | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/rEqfmjbl.jpg

Organizers with a group trying to recall Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon said it has collected a good chunk of the signatures required to bring the matter to voters.

The recall campaign told Fox News Digital on Wednesday that it has collected more than 400,000 signatures and raised $6 million. The campaign needs 566,857 signatures – 10% of registered voters -- by the July 6 deadline to put the recall question on November's ballot.

"We're starting to see a real light at the end of the tunnel here and there's a real plausible pathway to get these signatures if we can just keep it up," campaign spokesman Tim Lineberger said.

The recall effort is the second since Gascon took office in December 2020. The first failed, but the current attempt has gathered steam amid a series of high-profile cases tied to Gascon's progressive directives and public criticism from crime victims, elected officials and some of his own prosecutors.

Fox News has reached out to Gascon's special adviser and his campaign spokesperson.

As crime has increased across the county, so has scrutiny of its top prosecutor, who has barred his deputy district attorneys from seeking enhancement allegations, which can significantly lengthen prison sentences, and charging juveniles as adults, even those accused of serious crimes, among others.

The directive related to juveniles has since been modified after criticism over the case of a 26-year-old transgender woman who sexually assaulted a 10-year-old girl when she was 17.

While supporters hail Gascon as a reformer who is trying to change a criminal justice system fraught with inequity, critics say his moves have emboldened criminals who no longer fear harsh punishment, even for serious offenses.

"I think probably 99% of the people in Los Angeles would make a better DA than George Gascon," Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney Jon Hatami previously told Fox News about his boss. "We have a district attorney right now who's causing havoc and mayhem in Los Angeles. His policies are making it more dangerous for individuals."

PorkChopSandwiches
05-05-2022, 04:59 PM
They still need to get more then that I think because they will throw out something like 5% for being done incorrectly. I sure hope they can pull it off.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-05-2022, 05:37 PM
They still have about 2 months to come up with another 150K or so signatures.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-05-2022, 05:50 PM
He is such a nightmare to the entire area

Teh One Who Knocks
05-06-2022, 10:41 AM
By Matt Leach , Jon Michael Raasch | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/CDLDxA9.png

LOS ANGELES – Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, a frequent critic of embattled LA District Attorney George Gascon, told Fox News his department does not have a working relationship with the DA’s office.

"I have never met him in public, I’ve had one phone call with him," Villanueva told Fox News.

Gascon is facing his second recall attempt since taking office in December 2020. A 2021 attempt didn't gather enough signatures by the filing deadline to go to a vote.

Sheriff Villanueva, a Democrat running for re-election in June, called out Gascon as allegedly contributing to the uptick in LA’s violent crime.

According to Villanueva, his office presented 13,238 cases that the district attorney’s office later rejected because they don’t conform to Gascon’s "special directives."

"Astonishing number of cases," said Villanueva. "These are people that did bad things that left a victim, have the evidence presented and they said ‘don’t bother,’" he continued.

Gascon’s office declined to comment when asked about the DA's relationship with the sheriff's department by Fox News.

https://i.imgur.com/T84Fue4.png

Gascon issued a series of directives after taking office in December 2020 that have come under scrutiny.

Some include ordering his deputy district attorneys to stop seeking enhancement allegations, which can significantly extend prison sentences, not seeking the death penalty and barring prosecutors from charging juveniles as adults, regardless of the severity of the allegations.

During the campaign, Gascon responded to a Ballotpedia survey saying "LA County deserves a more effective and progressive DA that enhances community safety without over incarcerating our communities."

The recall campaign's organizers have said Gascon's policies are "soft on crime," and that he should be ousted to "keep communities safe." The campaign announced this week that it had gathered 400,000 signatures. Nearly 567,000 are needed by the July 6 deadline.

"There’s no deterrence in this current scheme," said Villanueva. "We have to have teeth in what we’re doing."

According to data provided by the LASD, homicides are down 37.8% from this point last year, however, robberies and aggravated assaults are up more than 11%.

"The deputies are going to continue doing their job, they make the arrests, they’ll write the reports, but then what happens after it’s submitted to the D.A is where it all falls apart," said Villanueva.