PDA

View Full Version : New York police say that 13 people shot, 10 dead, during 'mass shooting' at Buffalo grocery store

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2022, 10:29 AM
By Adam Sabes | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/tqar8XO.png

Police in New York State said in a tweet on Saturday afternoon that it was on the scene of a "mass shooting" at a grocery store in Buffalo.

During a press conference, Buffalo police commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said that 13 people were shot, and 10 people died as a result of the shooting, which is being investigated as a hate crime.

Gramaglia said that an 18-year-old White male allegedly committed the shooting and was live-streaming it online.

According to officials, the shooter traveled from "hours" outside of Buffalo. The shooting happened at Tops Friendly Markets on Jefferson Avenue in Buffalo.

"BPD on scene of a mass shooting at the Tops in the 1200 block of Jefferson Avenue. Police say multiple people have been struck by gunfire. The shooter is in custody. Motorists and residents are urged to avoid the area," the police department tweeted.

The alleged gunman has been identified as Payton Gendron, 18, of Conklin, New York, according to the Associated Press.

He is being charged with first-degree murder, and pleaded not guilty on Saturday evening, according to WKBW.

11 of the victims in the attack are Black and two of them are White, according to authorities.

https://i.imgur.com/dR6E6mM.png

Among the people killed are a retired Buffalo police officer, who fired multiple shots at the gunman but hit his bulletproof vest.

Three people were killed in the parking lot of the grocery store, according to Gramaglia.

https://i.imgur.com/Fch2930.png

New York Governor Kathy Hochul said in a tweet that she's "closely monitoring" the shooting.
https://i.imgur.com/NOWIxnu.png

"I am closely monitoring the shooting at a grocery store in Buffalo. We have offered assistance to local officials. If you are in Buffalo, please avoid the area and follow guidance from law enforcement and local officials," Hochul tweeted.

The Erie County Sheriff's Office said in a tweet that it has ordered "all available resources and personnel" to assist the Buffalo Police Department in responding to the shooting.
During a press conference, Hochul said the suspect committed an "act of terrorism."

"And to see that sense of security shattered by an individual, a white supremacist who has engaged in an act of terrorism and will be prosecuted as such in a cold-hearted, cruel, calculating way, a military-style execution targeting people who simply want to buy groceries in a neighborhood store," Hochul said.

Hochul also criticized a social media company for not acting sooner to pull the video off of its platform.

"These outlets must be more vigilant in monitoring social media content. And certainly the fact that this act of barbarism, this execution of innocent human beings could be live-streamed on social media platforms and not taken down within a second, says to me, that there is a responsibility out there and we're going to continue to work on this and make sure that those who provide these platforms have a moral and ethical, and I hope to have a legal, responsibility to ensure that such hate cannot populate these sites," Hochul said.

A spokesperson for Twitch, an online streaming platform, told Fox News Digital that a user has been suspended from Twitch after the shooting.

https://i.imgur.com/z2QdlEr.png

"We are devastated to hear about the shooting that took place this afternoon in Buffalo, New York. Our hearts go out to the community impacted by this tragedy. Twitch has a zero-tolerance policy against violence of any kind and works swiftly to respond to all incidents. The user has been indefinitely suspended from our service, and we are taking all appropriate action, including monitoring for any accounts rebroadcasting this content," the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson also said that the incident took place during a live broadcast, and the company will work with law enforcement during the course of their investigation.

The spokesperson also said that the live stream was taken down within two minutes.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2022, 10:30 AM
By Anders Hagstrom | Fox News

The man who allegedly shot 10 people dead and injured three more at a Buffalo, New York, supermarket Saturday likely planned out his racially motivated attack for months, authorities said Sunday.

Police pointed to the roughly 180-page manifesto the alleged shooter, 18-year-old Payton Gendron, posted before going on his rampage. The rambling text included a detailed plan of his assault on the Tops Friendly Market, which he drove to from several counties away, according to police.

"This defendant is accused of traveling to our area and targeting innocent people who were shopping for their groceries on a Saturday afternoon. I continue to pray for all affected by this horrific crime," Erie County District Attorney John Flynn said Saturday. "I am committed to obtaining justice for the victims, their families and this community."

"My office is working closely with the U.S. Attorney’s Office and our partners in law enforcement into potential terrorism and hate crimes. This is an active investigation and additional charges may be filed," he added.

Gendron identified himself as a white supremacist in his manifesto, detailing at length his fears that white people are being replaced by other races.

Among those killed in the shooting was Retired Buffalo Police officer Aaron Salter, who died attempting to protect shoppers from the rampage.

Stalter worked as a security guard at the store and shot Gendron multiple times immediately upon his entering the store, but Genderon's body armor deflected the shots. Gendron then fatally shot Stalter.

Buffalo police reached out to Stalter's family to offer condolences on Saturday.

"I had the pleasure of knowing him, great guy, well respected, well-liked. This is just horrific. It’s tragic. I don’t know what other words to describe it," Buffalo Police Benevolent Association President John Evans said, according to WIBV 4.

Gendron pled not guilty to charges of first-degree murder in court on Saturday evening. He is being detained without bail and faces life in prison. He is due back in court on Thursday for a felony hearing.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2022, 10:31 AM
by Stephanie Pagones - FOX News

https://i.imgur.com/HaXnMfR.png

Accused Buffalo shooter Payton Gendron was hospitalized and underwent a mental health evaluation in 2021 after making a "generalized threat," according to police officials.

Gendron, an 18-year-old from Conklin, New York, was hospitalized for a mental health evaluation for one-and-a-half days in June 2021, after he made the general threat in his hometown, according to Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia.

A spokesperson for the New York State Police said troopers responded to Susquehanna High School in Conklin, N.Y., "to investigate a report that a 17-year-old student had made a threatening statement." The spokesperson did not identify the subject by name, but said there was no target associated with the threat.

"The state police responded," Gramaglia said during Sunday’s press conference. "They investigated. They interviewed the subject, and they felt it was appropriate at that time to have that individual brought in for a mental health evaluation. State police did their job to the fullest that they could at that time."

Gramaglia later added: "He was evaluated, and then he was released. As far as when we say 'On the radar,' there was nothing picked up on the state police intelligence, nothing that was picked up on the FBI intelligence. Nobody called in. Nobody called any complaints."

Law enforcement officials have said 18-year-old Gendron traveled to Buffalo on Friday and opened fire at a Tops Friendly Market store on Saturday, killing 10 people and wounding at least three others.

Eleven of the victims were Black individuals, while the remaining two victims were White, authorities have said.

https://i.imgur.com/wPLAzVU.png

On Saturday, U.S. Attorney General Merrick B. Garland called the attack "a hate crime and an act of racially-motivated violent extremism."

Gendron, who is White, pulled up to the Tops grocery store around 2:30 p.m. and immediately began firing off shots – wounding four people in front of the market before making his way inside, Buffalo Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said. Three of the four victims died.

Once inside, he exchanged fire with store security guard Aaron Salter, who was a retired police officer, officials have said. Salter fired several rounds at Gendron before the suspect fatally shot him, Gramaglia said.

Gendron then allegedly made his way around the store shooting several other victims. When confronted by police, Gendron placed the rifle to his neck before dropping the weapon and surrendering, the police chief said.

Officials have said the suspect live-streamed a portion of the shooting on social media platform Twitch. A Twitch spokesperson said the stream was suspended within two minutes. Gendron also allegedly detailed his plans in an extensive manifesto.

So far, investigators have found that Gendron was in possession of "three weapons. There were two in the car and one in his possession," Gramaglia said.

"One was a rifle, one was a shotgun … He had an AR-15" inside the store with him, the commissioner added.

Gendron was charged with first-degree murder. He was arraigned late Saturday and pleaded not guilty. He was ordered held without bail and is due back in court on Thursday.

lost in melb.
05-16-2022, 11:54 AM
Horrible. Glad they caught him.

DemonGeminiX
05-16-2022, 02:07 PM
Gramaglia said that an 18-year-old White male allegedly committed the shooting and was live-streaming it online.

If he was black, they never would have mentioned it.

lost in melb.
05-16-2022, 04:43 PM
If he was black, they never would have mentioned it.

I think it was appropriate. If it were a black panther extremist that targeted whites they would be mentioning it...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-16-2022, 04:56 PM
I think it was appropriate. If it were a black panther extremist that targeted whites they would be mentioning it...

:-s

No they wouldn't. They almost NEVER name the race of a suspected shooter unless the person is white. And then if it is a minority who was the shooter, they bury the story as quickly as possible. This particular story will be all over the news 24/7 for as long as they can keep it there.

lost in melb.
05-16-2022, 05:12 PM
:-s

No they wouldn't. They almost NEVER name the race of a suspected shooter unless the person is white. And then if it is a minority who was the shooter, they bury the story as quickly as possible. This particular story will be all over the news 24/7 for as long as they can keep it there.
Generally, maybe.

I don't think it was just his race, it was the fact he was a white supremacist who planned to kill Blacks. I guess we would need to wait for the opposite equivalent to make a judgement. Do you have a comparison? I can't think of one off the top of my head :?

lost in melb.
05-16-2022, 07:32 PM
What is the 'Great Replacement' and how is it tied to the Buffalo shooting suspect?

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/16/1099034094/what-is-the-great-replacement-theory

My take is some aspects of this theory are correct.

Except related to Jews :-k

Because Jews are basically white anyhow :-k

And they've been running the show a long time already :hand:

:lol:

deebakes
05-16-2022, 07:38 PM
poor jews