PDA

View Full Version : Biden appears to praise ballooning gas prices as 'incredible transition' Americans must go through

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2022, 11:24 AM
By Adam Sabes | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/Q0rqkmXh.jpg

President Biden said that the country is going through an "incredible transition" away from fossil fuels via the high gas prices being experienced nationwide.

Biden made the statement on gas prices during a joint press conference with Japan Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on Monday.

"Here’s the situation. And when it comes to the gas prices, we’re going through an incredible transition that is taking place that, God willing, when it’s over, we’ll be stronger and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil fuels when this is over," Biden said, seeming to justify or praise those sky-high prices Americans face at the pump.

Biden's comments come amid a stretch of record-high gas prices which the American Automobile Association says is "unprecedented."

The national average for a gallon of regular gas stands at $4.56 as of Monday, which is more than $.40 higher than it was just a month ago.

In parts of the country such as California, however, the average price for a gallon of regular gas reached $6.06 on Monday.

Biden added during the press conference on Monday that his administration has taken steps to prevent the price at the pump from going even higher, such as the release of 1 million barrels of oil from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum reserve.

"And what I’ve been able to do to keep it from getting even worse — and it’s bad. The price of gas at the pump is something that I told you — you heard me say before — it would be a matter of great discussion at my kitchen table when I was a kid growing up. It’s affecting a lot of families," Biden said.

https://i.imgur.com/f9yJCJVl.jpg

"But we have released over two hundred and, I think, fifty-seven thousand — million barrels of oil, I should say. Us and the rest of the world we convinced to get involved. It’s helped, but it’s not been enough," he added.

The White House has shifted some of the blame for higher gas prices as a result of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, calling it a "Putin spike at the gas pump."

https://i.imgur.com/Mmgdxrx.png

"Let me first say that Americans are paying a higher price at the pump because of the actions of President Putin," then-White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters in March. "This is a Putin spike at the gas pump, not one prompted by our sanctions."

Biden's comments on Monday were ridiculed by several Republicans who said that the president is now "saying the quiet part out loud now."
"They’re saying the quiet part out loud now. They’re causing you pain at the pump because it’s all part of their radical agenda," said Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La.

Biden instituted policies some that say are anti-energy during his first hours in office, including canceling the Keystone XL pipeline that would have moved more than 800,000 barrels of crude oil per day from Canada to Texas, and "pausing" oil and gas leases on federal lands. The Biden administration has also canceled multiple federal oil and gas lease sales, some as recently as this month amid the gas price surge.

lost in melb.
05-24-2022, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry, but technically he's not wrong. It's a transition you must go through :dunno:

deebakes
05-24-2022, 02:23 PM
fuck you old man

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2022, 02:58 PM
I'm sorry, but technically he's not wrong. It's a transition you must go through :dunno:

Says who? :-s

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2022, 02:58 PM
fuck you old man

:agreed:

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2022, 03:00 PM

I'm sorry, but you're wrong, and he's very wrong. It's a transition we do not need to go through, and God willing, we will not go through it.

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2022, 03:01 PM
Says who? :-s

Says the libtards who think they know better than everybody else.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-24-2022, 03:26 PM
So he is admitting that they are fucking us on purpose to teach us a lesson, a lesson they can't even support if accepted

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2022, 03:29 PM
So he is admitting that they are fucking us on purpose to teach us a lesson, a lesson they can't even support if accepted

:winner:

lost in melb.
05-24-2022, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry, but you're wrong, and he's very wrong. It's a transition we do not need to go through, and God willing, we will not go through it.

You're burning a finite resource that is increasingly difficult to extract. Green energy is already cheaper.

lost in melb.
05-24-2022, 04:47 PM

An alternative explanation is increasing demand overseas and reduced supply means US manufacturers can sell your own oil for massive profit overseas, thus jacking up the price locally.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2022, 05:20 PM
You're burning a finite resource that is increasingly difficult to extract. Green energy is already cheaper.

Until Biden came in and basically told the oil companies to fuck off, we were the number one producer of both crude and natural gas. We aren't going to run out any time soon. If you want to make the change to electric cars, you don't tank the economy to do it overnight, you do it gradually with incentives. They're telling people to go out and buy an electric car instead of whining about the price of gas. :-s People can't afford to put food on the table right now because of inflation but they're supposed to go out and drop anywhere from $40K to $80K on an electric car?

:uhhuh:

lost in melb.
05-24-2022, 05:37 PM
I agree it's a bit too fast. The government should just stay neutral towards fossil fuels and, if anything, provide modest incentives to transition to electric.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2022, 05:55 PM
I agree it's a bit too fast. The government should just stay neutral towards fossil fuels and, if anything, provide modest incentives to transition to electric.

Exactly, but this administration is openly hostile to the fossil fuel industry.

Pony
05-24-2022, 09:42 PM

Explain?

I know of no "green" instance where you can get comparable energy output to oil with the exception of nuclear energy.

Pony
05-24-2022, 09:44 PM

That's exactly where we were heading before the current administration decided that the transition wasn't happening fast enough.

KevinD
05-25-2022, 01:52 AM
Explain?

I know of no "green" instance where you can get comparable energy output to oil with the exception of nuclear energy.
Thats because there's not any.

lost in melb.
05-25-2022, 05:24 AM
Explain?

I think it's mostly coal and natural gas for fossil fuel electricity production. Of course solar and wind are as powerful, you just stack them. The problem is they only working when the sun is shining in the wind is blowing. Great for domestic home use, but not so good for 24/7 heavy industry. You need other flexible alternatives to kick in. I suggest nuclear and smart batteries will fulfill this need eventually, but not completely replace fossil fuels.

lost in melb.
05-25-2022, 05:26 AM
Thats because there's not any.

Britain has had days when the entire country was powered by renewables. South Australia as well.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2022, 11:55 AM
I think it's mostly coal and natural gas for fossil fuel electricity production. Of course solar and wind are as powerful, you just stack them. The problem is they only working when the sun is shining in the wind is blowing. Great for domestic home use, but not so good for 24/7 heavy industry. You need other flexible alternatives to kick in. I suggest nuclear and smart batteries will fulfill this need eventually, but not completely replace fossil fuels.

This is the way, however the green 'fanatics' want nothing to do with nuclear. It's the best and cheapest (after initial plant construction) form of energy production there is. And we have come a LONG way since all those old plants were built in the 60's and 70's. Nuclear is very safe now but if you even whisper about wanting to build a nuclear plant will get you shouted down in perpetuity.

KevinD
05-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Britain has had days when the entire country was powered by renewables. South Australia as well.

Totally ignores ROI. It takes "x" amount of energy to "create" "y" amounts of energy. Oil and gas is still be FAR the most cost effective and highest ROI there is.

KevinD
05-25-2022, 02:59 PM
That said, I'm not against renewable sources. I'm all for them in fact, but don't like having them forced upon us. Theres decades of research needed yet to get roi/roe down to a sustainable level. As of now, wind is the worst. A windmill cannot produce enough energy to even recoop what it took to be built. Solar is better by far,but there are issues with the rare earth materials,and as mentioned,they only work when sun is shining.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2022, 03:04 PM
That said, I'm not against renewable sources. I'm all for them in fact, but don't like having them forced upon us. Theres decades of research needed yet to get roi/roe down to a sustainable level. As of now, wind is the worst. A windmill cannot produce enough energy to even recoop what it took to be built. Solar is better by far,but there are issues with the rare earth materials,and as mentioned,they only work when sun is shining.

Windmills are terribly inefficient too once they are in place.

https://i.imgur.com/nyRCfd8.png

lost in melb.
05-25-2022, 04:25 PM

Windmills are terribly inefficient too once they are in place.

https://i.imgur.com/nyRCfd8.png

A poorly placed windmill that doesn't spin much may never pay its energy back. However most do very well. For example, a 2014 study found that 2-megawatt wind turbines installed in Northwest USA paid for themselves in 5-6 months.
https://www.inderscienceonline.com/doi/abs/10.1504/IJSM.2014.062496

A 2010 meta-analysis of fifty separate studies found that the average wind turbine, over the course of its operational life, generated 20 times more energy than it took to produce. This level was “favourable” in comparison to fossil fuels, nuclear and solar power. Perhaps you're talking about early windmills that weren't very efficient?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S096014810900055X

lost in melb.
05-25-2022, 04:30 PM
Totally ignores ROI. It takes "x" amount of energy to "create" "y" amounts of energy. Oil and gas is still be FAR the most cost effective and highest ROI there is.

Interesting. My understanding is that renewables are a much cheaper sources of power (even factoring in cost of energy to produce the machine that makes it). I guess we'll find out in time!

KevinD
05-25-2022, 06:52 PM
Granted, I haven't researched it in depth in about 10 years or so. Perhaps its changed.