PDA

View Full Version : Canadian PM Trudeau announces legislation to ‘freeze’ handgun ownership, buy back ‘assault-style weapons’

Teh One Who Knocks
05-31-2022, 11:03 AM
By Paul Best | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/6VT3VxJ.png

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Monday that his government is introducing legislation to "implement national freeze on handgun ownership" throughout the country.

"What this means is that it will no longer be possible to buy, sell, transfer or import handguns anywhere in Canada," Trudeau said at a press conference.

"We recognize that the vast majority of gun owners use them safely and in accordance with the law, but other than using firearms for sport shooting and hunting, there is no reason anyone in Canada should need guns in their everyday lives."

Canadian Minister of Public Safety Marco Mendicino also said that a mandatory buyback program for "assault-style weapons" will go into effect later this year if the bill passes, calling it Canada's "most significant action on gun violence in a generation."

"The first AR-15s and other assault style firearms will start to be bought back by the end of this year," Mendicino said. "It's going to be hard, but we're going to get it done."

About 55,000 new handguns have been registered annually in Canada over the last decade, Mendicino said.

https://i.imgur.com/4p6o2zD.png

The legislation will also create new red flag laws that will allow courts to remove guns and suspend licenses for people who pose a threat to themselves or others. Magazines that hold more than five rounds will also be banned under the new laws.

The deadliest mass shooting in Canada's history occurred about two years ago when a gunman opened fire around parts of Nova Scotia, killing 22 people.

lost in melb.
05-31-2022, 12:33 PM
Wise move.

DemonGeminiX
05-31-2022, 01:45 PM
Wise move.

If you want a totalitarian government.

lost in melb.
05-31-2022, 02:26 PM
If you want a totalitarian government.

Same tired old argument.

We'll do it our way and you do it yours.

DemonGeminiX
05-31-2022, 02:30 PM
Same tired old argument.

We'll do it our way and you do it yours.

:-k

You're not Canadian.

And enjoy the brutality of the secret police that comes to take you away in the night when you start publicly disagreeing with your totalitarian government's policies.

And your arguments are the same old tired arguments too.

lost in melb.
05-31-2022, 02:44 PM
:-k

You're not Canadian.

And enjoy the brutality of the secret police that comes to take you away in the night when you start publicly disagreeing with your totalitarian government's policies.

And your arguments are the same old tired arguments too.

Neither are you :-k

If the secret police come for you in the middle of the night, DGX your guns aren't going to help you either.

Also, um, that's dumb :slap:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-31-2022, 02:48 PM
If the secret police come for you in the middle of the night, DGX your guns aren't going to help you either.

That's why I have these all over my house:

https://i.imgur.com/uLO8elTl.jpeg

:shifty:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-31-2022, 02:49 PM
:honk:

DemonGeminiX
05-31-2022, 03:01 PM
Neither are you :-k

Also, um, that's dumb :slap:

:-s

You said "we'll do it our way". That's what I responded to. This is a Canadian thing. You're not Canadian, Aussie-boy. There's no "we" here. You're not involved.

:nono:

And the only thing dumb here is you not seeing the truth of my arguments. They're infallible. :yup:

lost in melb.
05-31-2022, 07:08 PM
That's why I have these all over my house:

https://i.imgur.com/uLO8elTl.jpeg

:shifty:

Is that an automatic sprinkler system? :-k

lost in melb.
05-31-2022, 07:10 PM
:-s

You said "we'll do it our way". That's what I responded to. This is a Canadian thing. You're not Canadian, Aussie-boy. There's no "we" here. You're not involved.

:nono:

And the only thing dumb here is you not seeing the truth of my arguments. They're infallible. :yup:

I don't think the Canadians want a totalitarian government either!

Teh One Who Knocks
05-31-2022, 07:24 PM
Is that an automatic sprinkler system? :-k

It sprinkles something :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-31-2022, 07:25 PM
It sprinkles freedom

Godfather
06-03-2022, 06:01 AM
This is a complex issue in Canada.

On one hand, the US mindset of the right to bear arms simply doesn't apply here, there are fundamental cultural differences towards guns that you need to understand. You can get a license to acquire a gun with a reasonable cause, background checks, and completing course work, adhering to storage and transportation laws, and red flag laws apply. Canadian gun owners can't lean on this idea of liberty through firearms, we can't ascribe the American mindset up here as it will only hinder gun ownership efforts if we try and force a mindset that doesn't resonate with our history. Instead it's a relationship of trust, and if we refuse to debate and be reasonable, the opposite will happen and gun laws will simply go through without our (gun owner's) input. Simply put, Canadian firearms proponents need to be reasonable, responsible, advocates because it's not a given right that we own firearms here.

On the other hand... this is clearly opportunistic pandering by Trudeau. Most gun crimes here are committed by smuggled firearms and these laws will do little to change things. It's sad because I believe our left-leaning firearms laws have done a good job of preventing gun crimes already.

lost in melb.
06-03-2022, 06:50 AM

On one hand, the US mindset of the right to bear arms simply doesn't apply here, there are fundamental cultural differences towards guns that you need to understand. You can get a license to acquire a gun with a reasonable cause, background checks, and completing course work, adhering to storage and transportation laws, and red flag laws apply. Canadian gun owners can't lean on this idea of liberty through firearms, we can't ascribe the American mindset up here as it will only hinder gun ownership efforts if we try and force a mindset that doesn't resonate with our history. Instead it's a relationship of trust, and if we refuse to debate and be reasonable, the opposite will happen and gun laws will simply go through without our (gun owner's) input. Simply put, Canadian firearms proponents need to be reasonable, responsible, advocates because it's not a given right that we own firearms here.

On the other hand... this is clearly opportunistic pandering by Trudeau. Most gun crimes here are committed by smuggled firearms and these laws will do little to change things. It's sad because I believe our left-leaning firearms laws have done a good job of preventing gun crimes already.

Yeah, the timing is odd. Unless I missed a recent massacre there doesn't seem to be a huge necessity to change anything. :-k

Pony
06-03-2022, 08:53 AM

That kinda touches on pro gun Americans point and fears. You all are already pretty strict with firearms but no matter how many laws are on the books, it's never enough. We believe that's the long term goal of the liberals here, keep passing more and more strict laws that do little to reduce crime until every firearm is illegal.

The overwhelming majority of gun crimes here are committed by people who are already breaking current laws in their state by possessing guns they shouldn't have because of past convictions and/or should still be in jail for those past convictions. This points to a policing and prosecution problem, not a gun problem. We have some serious social issues we really need to address in this country.

Even the alleged legally purchased guns used in the Texas shooting, he should never have been able to get if only the dozens of people who had seen his bizarre and illegal behavior in the past had reported him and the police and system had taken the proper steps. It wasn't only a failure once he got to the school, it was a failure for years prior too. Our system is broken, our society is broken.

lost in melb.
06-04-2022, 03:42 PM
I'm a lib and virtue gesturing to your base doesn't help anyone. It only divides a country further because both sides of the fence know it's b.s. The Right does it too. E.g. some arguments for Pro-life make no rational sense.