PDA

View Full Version : Californians Struggle Under High Gas Prices Ahead Of Primaries

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2022, 02:03 PM
By Charlotte Pence Bond - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/hrLbkL8l.jpg

Ahead of critical primaries on Tuesday, Californians are feeling the burden of high gas prices.

While Democrats were looking to California as a potential arena where some congressional races could deliver them a win, the state is ultimately struggling as residents feel the weight of surging prices and an economy headed in the wrong direction.

“They’re beyond furious — it’s called desperation,” Representative Lou Correa, a Democrat from Santa Ana, said. “I don’t hear anything about the other national issues we’re focusing on in Washington. The thing I hear about is gasoline. What are you going to do to bring down the gas prices?”

According to AAA, gas prices in California are currently averaging $6.34 per gallon, with the national average of regular gasoline at $4.86 across the country.

Yahoo Finance noted that if someone is filling up their vehicles in California with 16 gallons or more, they are shelling out more than $100 to do so.

“It’s terrible,” Lisa, a driver in California, told Yahoo Finance. “I can’t go visit my grandkids in Ventura County because of the gas prices, and then I work far away.”

The outlet pointed out that at a station in Mendocino, which is north of San Francisco, the cost was close to $10 a gallon.

Schlafer’s Auto Body & Repair, the Mendocino station, is regularly thought to be the priciest in the country.

The owner, Judy Schlafer, told SFGate.com that she recently got 8,880 gallons of gasoline, which needs to be paid in 10 days. She said the amount cost around $50,000, but said the same amount cost around $20,000 less three months ago. If she didn’t charge customers $9.60, she wouldn’t be able to keep running her business. She also claimed gas is just as pricey in other areas.

“I’m going to be lucky if I make the year with all the fees, the regulation, the payroll fees,” she said. “If it continues the way it is, Mendocino won’t have a gas station next year.”

Such price hikes are putting a damper on Democrats’ prospects in the state, The New York Times reported. The outlet pointed out, however, that gas costs in the Golden State are ordinarily higher than in any other state due to regulations and taxation. Still, the recent prices have been staggering even to residents who are used to higher costs.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-07-2022, 02:48 PM
:honk:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2022, 03:17 PM

lost in melb.
06-07-2022, 03:43 PM
Funny that the gas companies that are selling this stuff overseas for even more profit aren't getting any scrutiny :popcorn:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2022, 03:47 PM
Funny that the gas companies that are selling this stuff overseas for even more profit aren't getting any scrutiny :popcorn:

Why should I, as an American, care what is going on with the price of fuel in say, France? Not being rude, just saying that is an issue with French citizens. Or Norwegians. Or Danes. Or Spaniards. Etc. My issue is dealing with the fuel prices in the United States, not elsewhere, that is up to those citizens to get upset and throw the spotlight on fuel prices. It's not my fault that everyone elsewhere is complacent about it.

:2cents:

lost in melb.
06-07-2022, 04:29 PM
Why should I, as an American, care what is going on with the price of fuel in say, France? Not being rude, just saying that is an issue with French citizens. Or Norwegians. Or Danes. Or Spaniards. Etc. My issue is dealing with the fuel prices in the United States, not elsewhere, that is up to those citizens to get upset and throw the spotlight on fuel prices. It's not my fault that everyone elsewhere is complacent about it.

:2cents:

I agree and you maybe misunderstood my point. There seems to be no anger against the oil companies ( in US) that are jacking prices up, down and around all the time. It's as though they are subject to forces beyond their control, but I bet that's not the case.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-07-2022, 04:59 PM
It is beyond their control, Biden is 100% to blame for this and has admitted it

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2022, 05:43 PM
I agree and you maybe misunderstood my point. There seems to be no anger against the oil companies ( in US) that are jacking prices up, down and around all the time. It's as though they are subject to forces beyond their control, but I bet that's not the case.

It would be one thing if it was just the 'evil' oil companies raising prices and nothing else was happening, but that's not the case. Absolutely EVERYTHING has gone up in price, it's not some conspiracy by ExxonMobil to increase net profits. I can't even walk out of the grocery store anymore without dropping $60 or $70 for just basic stuff. Does that mean that Walmart is in league with BP to rape the people? No, it's inflation across the board causing it and it's directly because of the economic policies of our government plus coming off the back of locking down the entire economy for more than 2 years, and some of those policies are still in effect in some states and there are those in the government that actually want to bring back certain Covid measures which would just further hurt the economy. Yet when the administration is called out on it, they deflect blame and say that it's not their fault and there's nothing they can do.

Putin price hike :tup:

:uhhuh:

Pony
06-07-2022, 10:10 PM
It is beyond their control, Biden is 100% to blame for this and has admitted it

Currently Ukraine is having a huge impact on global prices. That being said, here in the US we WERE energy independent 18 months ago. We WERE under $2 bucks a gallon, before Russia invaded we WERE above $3.50, heading toward $4. So according to that math, Biden's policies raised it $1.60+, Russia/Ukraine $1.00. Plus now being more in the Global market we are stuck riding the wave like everyone else.

Funny how other oil producing countries still have dirt cheap gas. I'd have to look into it more but I believe that Trump wanted to top up our oil reserves when it was cheap and the Dems voted it down. Sure could use that supply now....

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

lost in melb.
06-08-2022, 07:33 AM
Not sure about oil. They always jack it up during wars.

I think the 2 bad decisions were to print more money and keep interest rates stupidly low ( not just a US problem). The dollar will lose official currency status if you're not careful.

Economic downturns are absolutely necessary to get rid of unviable companies, but due to unnecessary pampering the next one is going to be brutal.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-08-2022, 03:57 PM
Currently Ukraine is having a huge impact on global prices. That being said, here in the US we WERE energy independent 18 months ago. We WERE under $2 bucks a gallon, before Russia invaded we WERE above $3.50, heading toward $4. So according to that math, Biden's policies raised it $1.60+, Russia/Ukraine $1.00. Plus now being more in the Global market we are stuck riding the wave like everyone else.

Funny how other oil producing countries still have dirt cheap gas. I'd have to look into it more but I believe that Trump wanted to top up our oil reserves when it was cheap and the Dems voted it down. Sure could use that supply now....

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

I understand not buying Russian oil is part of the issue, but there are plenty of things we could do here to provide for ourselves but the idiot in chief is just that, an idiot