PDA

View Full Version : Inflation hits fresh 40-year high in May with consumer prices surging 8.6%

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2022, 01:11 PM
By Megan Henney | FOXBusiness

https://i.imgur.com/6vwrjz2.png

Inflation barreled ahead in May, rising more than expected as supply chain constraints, the Russian war in Ukraine and strong consumer demand continued to keep consumer prices running near a 40-year-high.

The Labor Department said Friday that the consumer price index, a broad measure of the price for everyday goods including gasoline, groceries and rents, rose 8.6% in May from a year ago. Prices jumped 1% in the one-month period from April. Those figures were both higher than the 8.3% headline figure and 0.7% monthly gain forecast by Refinitiv economists.

It marks the fastest pace of inflation since December 1981.

So-called core prices, which exclude more volatile measurements of food and energy, climbed 6% from the previous year, also more than Refinitiv expected. Core prices also rose 0.6% on a monthly basis, suggesting that underlying inflationary pressures remain strong.

Rising inflation is eating away at strong wage gains that American workers have seen in recent months: Real average hourly earnings decreased 0.6% in May from the previous month, as the inflation increase eroded the 0.3% total wage gain, according to the Labor Department. On an annual basis, real earnings actually dropped 3% in May.

DemonGeminiX
06-10-2022, 06:26 PM
I bet it's even higher now.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2022, 08:28 PM
I bet it's even higher now.Those are the brand new numbers that just came out today :-s

DemonGeminiX
06-10-2022, 09:05 PM
Those are the brand new numbers that just came out today :-s

:nono:

For May. It's now June.

Godfather
06-11-2022, 06:32 AM
US Consumer Sentiment is also at its lowest since they started recording in 1952. I'm certainly no expert on how that can be used to predict the next ~12 months, but it seems very bad. I wish I knew what to do with my investments.... gold? Walmart stock?

deebakes
06-11-2022, 02:18 PM
my investments have been so tumultuous, i am not even bothering to look

DemonGeminiX
06-11-2022, 06:24 PM
Buy the dip. Or dollar cost average. If the companies are solid, they'll bounce back. If you want your shiny rocks, and the prices are low, then buy. The worst thing you can do is take your money out when everything's down, unless your tax loss harvesting, if you can do that in Canuckistan.

Godfather
06-13-2022, 06:42 AM
Buy the dip. Or dollar cost average. If the companies are solid, they'll bounce back. If you want your shiny rocks, and the prices are low, then buy. The worst thing you can do is take your money out when everything's down, unless your tax loss harvesting, if you can do that in Canuckistan.

Agreed, that's the conventional and safe wisdom... but it's always in the back of my mind that the Fortune 500 companies aren't immune to turmoil. Something like 65% have turned over since 1995, and 90% since the list was first created in the 50's. Only one of those companies (GE) on today's list has been around since 1912. Change is partly from M&A, but also bankruptcy or failing to keep up and falling off the list. I'm not saying I'm particularly worried about my long-term investments in companies like RBC or Manulife but it's worth continually evaluating them all the same as things don't always bounce back. I guess if anything that's an argument to just go for ETF's and let someone smarter than me figure it out :lol: