PDA

View Full Version : ‘Incredible milestone’: Nasa launches rocket from Australian space centre

lost in melb.
06-27-2022, 12:10 PM
Nasa has successfully launched a rocket from the Northern Territory – the first commercial space launch in Australia’s history.

Troublesome winds caused the countdown to be aborted several times before the first of three scheduled rockets launched at about half past midnight (ACST) on Monday from the Arnhem Space Centre on the Dhupuma Plateau, near Nhulunbuy.

It is the space agency’s first launch from a commercial spaceport outside the US and will help scientists study how a star’s light can influence a planet’s habitability.

Nasa to launch rockets from the Northern Territory for
The rocket is carrying an X-ray quantum calorimeter, which will allow University of Michigan scientists to measure interstellar X-rays with precision and provide new data on the structure and evolution of the cosmos...

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/cddd6825f8d9a7fc46450c1166776c2489b0b001/0_0_5853_3514/master/5853.jpg?width=460&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jun/27/incredible-milestone-nasa-launches-rocket-from-australian-space-centre

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2022, 12:30 PM
Why do foreign news services refer to NASA as Nasa? It's incorrect. Just a minor irritant to me when I see it. I see it a lot in news outlets from the UK, although recently, some of them have corrected it and started capitalizing it like it's supposed to be.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-27-2022, 12:31 PM
And I wonder why they launched from there? The article doesn't say.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-27-2022, 03:43 PM
If you want to go to underspace, thats how you do

lost in melb.
06-27-2022, 04:33 PM
Why do foreign news services refer to NASA as Nasa? It's incorrect. Just a minor irritant to me when I see it. I see it a lot in news outlets from the UK, although recently, some of them have corrected it and started capitalizing it like it's supposed to be.

You're correct. It's douchebag writing.

And I wonder why they launched from there? The article doesn't say.
From another article:

The rocket is expected to travel more than 300 kilometers (186 miles) into space on its mission to observe the Alpha Centauri A and B constellations -- the nearest star systems to the Earth.

Alpha Centauri bears a special meaning for Australia. It is mostly only visible from the Southern Hemisphere and is one of the "pointers" to the Southern Cross constellation that appears on the country's flag, according to Reuters.

lost in melb.
06-27-2022, 04:35 PM
If you want to go to underspace, thats how you do

:suspect: