PDA

View Full Version : Are Internet Explorer users dumber?

Godfather
07-30-2011, 04:31 AM
**I mean no offense to anyone with this**

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/07/29/internet.explorer.dumb/index.html?eref=igoogledcv_topstories
Are Internet Explorer users dumb?

(CNN) -- Are users of other Web browsers smarter than the people who use Microsoft's Internet Explorer?

A new survey doesn't quite say so. But it sure as heck suggests it.

The survey by AptiQuant, a Vancouver-based Web consulting company, gave more than 100,000 participants an IQ test, while monitoring which browser they used to take the test.

The result? Internet Explorer users scored lower than average, while Chrome, Firefox and Safari users were slightly above average.

And users of the more obscure Camino and Opera browsers, as well as those using Explorer with Chrome Frame (a plug-in designed to let users view emerging HTML5 content), had what AptiQuaint called "exceptionally higher" IQ levels.

Those numbers, it should be noted, probably aren't very scientific. The field of test-takers was self-selecting -- people who chose, on their own, to take an IQ test instead of a scientifically selected study group. They found the test through Web searches or ads the company placed online.

The report suggests that people using Explorer, the built-in, default browser for Windows-based computers, may be more resistant to change. A similar study in 2006 showed users on the then-current IE browser scored above average.

Internet Explorer is the world's most popular browser, with about a 43% share, according to StatCounter. Firefox has just under 30%, and Google's Chrome has 19%, according to a report from May.

Users of Internet Explorer 6, released in 2001, scored the lowest on the tests, at just over 80. Users of Opera, the Norway-based browser, scored the highest at well over 120. (What AptiQuant called its complete results included a bar graph showing the scores, but didn't appear to have text giving the exact numbers.)

IQ scores have a "population mean" of 100.

If this all smacks of a little good, old-fashioned Microsoft hate, the language the company uses in its report doesn't do much to downplay that.

"It is common knowledge that Internet Explorer Versions 6.0 to 8.0 are highly incompatible with modern web standards. In order to make websites work properly on these browsers, web developers have to spend a lot of unnecessary effort ...," said the report from AptiQuant, which offers online tools for employers to measure employee, and potential employee, aptitude.

"Now that we have a statistical pattern on the continuous usage of incompatible browsers, better steps can be taken to eradicate this nuisance."

What do you think? Cheap shot or telling results? Let us know in the comments.

JoeyB
07-30-2011, 06:36 AM
And users of the Opera browsers had what AptiQuaint called "exceptionally higher" IQ levels.

Users of Opera, the Norway-based browser, scored the highest at well over 120.

And many of you openly mocked my adherence to Opera! Suck it bitches!

IQ-131.

Hugh_Janus
07-30-2011, 07:32 AM
And users of the Opera browsers had what AptiQuaint called "exceptionally higher" IQ levels.

Users of Opera, the Norway-based browser, scored the highest at well over 120.

And many of you openly mocked my adherence to Opera! Suck it bitches!

IQ-131.

dude.... your IQ means nothing.... mine's a genuine 130 and I'm thick as fuck :lol:

JoeyB
07-30-2011, 07:39 AM
dude.... your IQ means nothing.... mine's a genuine 130 and I'm thick as fuck :lol:

You're missing my pro-Opera and 'suck it bitches' message.

Hugh_Janus
07-30-2011, 07:46 AM
wat? opera sucks man....

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2011, 11:23 AM
wat? opera sucks man....

This ^^

Acid Trip
08-01-2011, 09:29 PM
And for those with the absolute highest IQs? They code their own browsers.

Hal-9000
08-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I was told that I had a high IQ as a lad...

Thought my favorite color had more of an impact than my browser choice :-s

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Internet Explorer IQ report appears to be a hoax
By Doug Gross, CNN

A report claiming Internet Explorer users scored lower on IQ tests than users of other Web browsers appears to have been an elaborate hoax.

The report, supposedly based on a survey of 100,000 Internet users, was released last week by what appeared to be a Vancouver-based, Web-consulting firm called Aptiquant.

Major news outlets -- including CNN, the BBC, NPR, CNET, Forbes and London's Daily Mail and Telegraph -- reported the story last week, as did multiple technology blogs.

But the BBC reported Wednesday that readers raised questions about the authenticity of the study.

Staff photos and information on the Aptiquant website -- a fully developed portal that includes contact information, previous press releases and studies, and a supposed history of the company -- appear to have been lifted from the website of a French Web development firm, Central Test.

"Central Test noticed the fraudulent use of its identity by Aptiquant, a Canadian company and deny any direct or indirect link with the above mentioned company," the company said in a post on its site Wednesday

The post said Central Test is investigating and reserves rights to pursue legal action against whoever lifted the photos.

CNN.com's story pointed out that the report was not scientific, that the results posted online did not provide specific score numbers and that the whole survey "smacks of a little good, old-fashioned Microsoft hate."

"I think most people just assumed that the research's findings were dubious or unscientific, but it turned out the website was a sham too," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant with Web security firm Sophos.

Cluley said the Aptiquant website appears to have been created on July 14 and that a physical address in Vancouver that the firm lists appears to be phony as well. The company's site claimed it was founded in 2006.

"It's obviously very easy to create a bogus site like this -- as all phishers know it's easy to rip-off someone else's webpages and pictures," Cluley said in an e-mail to CNN.

He said he checked out the PDF file of the report and it does not contain viruses or other malware.

On Wednesday, no one was immediately returning messages to the e-mail addresses listed on the Aptiquant website.

Cluley speculated the hoax could have been pulled off as "performance art," by "someone who has a grudge against IE" or "a mischief maker who gets a laugh out of all of this."

Arkady Renko
08-03-2011, 04:20 PM
I know a guy who still uses the AOL browser...true story.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I know a guy who still uses the AOL browser...true story.

:facepalm:

JoeyB
08-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Opera! Still. Fuck the hoaxes and the crap browsers. Opera~!! From Norway, land of Vikings and Viking women.

Godfather
08-04-2011, 01:21 AM
Guess it's not surprising this was a hoax :lol: Funny one though...

FBD
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
if you're in an intranet environment at a workplace, IE simply works better, it integrates well with domain level permissions. it was designed to...but that was a security pain in the rear for a long time because of that functionality.

Godfather
08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah we have to use an IE for an extranet at work because it works well too

Arkady Renko
08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
:facepalm:

you know him, too.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I figured that was who you were talking about :lol:

Arkady Renko
08-05-2011, 11:49 AM
exactly

Acid Trip
08-05-2011, 01:55 PM
if you're in an intranet environment at a workplace, IE simply works better, it integrates well with domain level permissions. it was designed to...but that was a security pain in the rear for a long time because of that functionality.

Lots of companies also have one or more SharePoint servers and IE has flawless integration with SharePoint (which it should since they are both MS).