PDA

View Full Version : Russia to stop using Dutch robot arm on International Space Station

Teh One Who Knocks
07-15-2022, 01:21 PM
By Sofia Stuart Leeson | EURACTIV.com

https://i.imgur.com/aybd3De.png

The Dutch-made robot arm worth €360 million will no longer be used by Russia at the International Space Station (ISS), Moscow’s space agency director ordered on Wednesday.

The European Robotic Arm (ERA) took 35 years to build by the Leiden company Dutch Space and was launched by Russia to the ISS in July 2021. The arm is installed on the space station that Russia, Europe, the US, Canada, and Japan jointly manage.

Russian State Corporation Roscosmos was collaborating with the European Space Agency (ESA) on the ExoMars, a programme that aimed to discover whether there was life on Mars.

On 17 March, the ESA issued a press release, saying: ​​“We deeply deplore the human casualties and tragic consequences of the aggression towards Ukraine. While recognising the impact on scientific exploration of space, ESA is fully aligned with the sanctions imposed on Russia by its Member States.”

But Roscosmos’s director, Dmitri Rogozin, retaliated.

“And I, in turn, give a command to our crew on the ISS to stop working with the European ERA manipulator,” Rogozin wrote on his telegram page.

The ESA has been contacted for comment.

DemonGeminiX
07-15-2022, 05:30 PM
Yeah, that'll show 'em. :roll: Morons.

lost in melb.
07-15-2022, 05:34 PM
The price for that arm is ridiculous.

deebakes
07-16-2022, 01:07 AM
35 years to make... oh, it is dutch, they only work 1 day a week and have that 4 month holiday time...

lost in melb.
07-16-2022, 05:58 AM
35 years to make... oh, it is dutch, they only work 1 day a week and have that 4 month holiday time...

Lol. So true

Godfather
07-16-2022, 06:03 AM
Honestly this is just pretty sad... maybe I'm being sentimental but the ISS has been a beacon of international cooperation for as long as I can remember. I've read a couple of books written by North American astronauts who spoke quite fondly of the cosmonauts who they worked with (despite some glaring differences) and it gave me hope... seems like it all crumbled away.